front axel rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hey guys , i get to help my brother rebuild the 84 toy sr5 4runner front axell .trail gear has the 4130 birfs for 79. each and cruiser outfitters has the seals for around 80. am i missing anything?

Oil, grease and rags. Oh, and rags.

Don't forget some rags.

I've just recently seen birfs being freshly greased without taking them apart beforehand... but I'm also sure we've been doing it all wrong...

Wait you need to take apart the birfield???

Howdy! Been over 10 years since I did the ones on my 85. Don't remember much. We did rotors and calipers at the time. Don't know if Marlin makes a front axle seal for it, but if he does, I would get that one. I put a set of them in my Piggy last fall, and they are MUCH better than the OEM design. John

Don't forget some rags.

A trick that I find greatly reduces the rags needed is a plastic spatula, the type normally used in the kitchen. I cut large pieces of cardboard and use a couple of cardboard boxes.

Before starting I put a couple of layers of cardboard under the knuckle and a couple of pieces off to the side to put greasy parts on. As grease is exposed I scrape it into the box using the spatula and any greasy parts that aren't going to be reused (seals, etc) go into the box. Once the grease is cleaned, simply discard the top layer of cardboard and you have a clean surface for reassembly.

I have a axle seal driver that I made, your welcome to borrow.

Marlin for Seals, Bearings, Gaskets...
Don't by Marlin's 54 mm socket, it's a POS

Bobby Long birfields (longfields), Chromoly 30-spline axles, Cryo'd hub gears...

TG :flipoff2:

Do it right.

is that mini a 27 spline like my 40? and on a 265 tire i think the 4130 birf from trail gear will do:wrench::wrench:

is that mini a 27 spline like my 40? and on a 265 tire i think the 4130 birf from trail gear will do:wrench::wrench:
I thought your '40 is course spline? The later 27 spline type '40 and mini birfs are the same. It's common to swap mini knuckle/birf/brakes onto early '40s, with the correct parts it fits.

nope, his birf is not coarse, I have seen it :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom