Frame repair by Crum's Custom Welding (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woytovich

Science...
SILVER Star
Threads
I spent Saturday out at Dave Crum's shop in NJ getting a section of the frame on my FJ60 cut out and patched. It came out great so I thought I'd write it up...

First up is Dave plasma cutting out the bad section. This ran on the driver's side (USA spec) from under the driverr's door to just behind the muffler hanger bracket. The cut out piece is about 2 1/2 feet long.
IMG_0365.jpg
IMG_0377.jpg
IMG_0381.jpg

Wow that's pretty long. Was that the only bad section?
Why no welding mask? Just a pair of sunglass and a skull cap is not very safe IMO.

Here we can see the plasma cut frame. This part of the frame is the main "C" channel with another small "C" channel welded to it (and slipped into it a little). Dave has cut the inner channel out. I will go in next with a grinder and clean up the edges so that a flat plate of new 3/16" steel can be welded in to close the frame back up.

The pile on the floor is about 5 pounds of 23 years of accumulated dirt and rust that I scraped out of the frame... as far back up in each direction from the opening as I could. (And I have routinely flushed out my frame rails with a high pressure nozzle, a regular hose and/or a pressure washer a number of times... I thought I had it pretty well cleaned out! I guess not...)
IMG_0382.jpg
IMG_0384.jpg
IMG_0385.jpg

Last edited:
Here is the new steel cut to match the piece we removed. Dave even cut is an access hole to let me wash this out on the future.

Then we can see Dave welding in the new steel. The frame in this area is angled inward so we used the clamps to get the steel to conform to that shape. The new piece was a great press fit into place... I joked that it would probably stay put even without welding!

Finally we see the piece after the first round of welding. Given that this is done upside down and while fighting the muffler and cat converter these are pretty darn smooth welds. After cooling Dave will go back in and in 2 more rounds weld the entire perimeter of the new steel.
IMG_0387.jpg
IMG_0392.jpg
IMG_0397.jpg

Last edited:
Now we see the finished piece. Well, I still need to go back under there and grind down the weld bumps some but the piece is fully welded in. I hit it with some gloss black paint just to keep it from rusting in the mean time. Dave had cut off the bolts that held the muffler bracket in place on the bad section of frame - he has tack welded the bracket back to the new steel piece.
IMG_0403.jpg
IMG_0405.jpg
IMG_0406.jpg

Last edited:
One more... looking from above the muffler at the top edge of the new steel and seeing the muffler bracket.

So: THANKS DAVE. I feel MUCH better about the health of this part of my truck.

NEXT UP: Dave is working up a heavy duty skid plate for my 60. I'll report back on that once he had made some progress. I'll be happy to replace the silly sheet metal splash guard that is the OEM skip plate!
IMG_0407.jpg

Why no welding mask? Just a pair of sunglass and a skull cap is not very safe IMO.

I`m not welding yet,just cutting the rusty piece out,with the plasma cutter.Those are not ordinary sunglasses.I do this for a living and need to do it everyday.Also note the welding jacket,gloves and leather bib.Note the pics where I am welding.

I`m glad your happy Mark.

David

You must of been a safety monitor in School?????

Top notch work Dave! I might have to have another look at my frame. I thought your frame was in better condition than mine Mark. :eek:

Let me know when you design that heavy duty t-case. I will definitely be in the market for one.

While I was playing with brake fluid, I noticed both rear body mounts (the part welded onto the frame) were rotted out. I snagged the last 2 in the US thanks to John Hocker. Dave will be using some of that hot glue on my truck as well. He does outstanding work and is a good guy to boot.

Flattery will get you no where,Jon.

It's John thank you very much. :D

You guys get to have all the fun. I rebuilt my case in a parking lot while it was snowing up here in Rochester while you guys are bleeding your brakes, repairing your frames.....

...I rebuilt my case in a parking lot while it was snowing up here in Rochester while you guys are bleeding your brakes, repairing your frames.....

In a heated, well lit, dry shop...

Oops.. was I rubbing that in? Sorry... ;)

Can I have some info on this shop?

Thanks,
Zack
I don't know the shop, but I got to ride around in Dave's fine FJ40 at CMCC a few years ago (thanks Dave!). It worked good and nothing fell off, :clap: which is better than most of our old salt belt cruisers.

The real reason for this post: Zack, please email me w/ your email addy.
:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom