FJ60 steering stabilizer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I thought my steering stabilizer was gone but after last weekend when I went out and did a bit of offroading it definitely proved me wrong, lots of times where it fought me to get back to center. However, seems like it is getting "weak" (if that is even a thing for them) as it would not always want to go back to center or all the way back. When on the trail and it does it seems to go fairly quickly but on the road is a different story, not very quick at all. Think she is just getting old and tired.

Steering stabilizer should not be a bandaid for return to center. That is handled by the Alignment of the tires in the front axle (caster mostly).

A steering stabilizer is there to reduce "quick" impacts to the tire that would jerk the steering wheel out of your hands, and to reduce wander due to small ruts in the road. Honestly, they are not really needed with a properly aligned truck. However, they make the steering feel more secure and add a safety factor.

I understand why the spring loaded stabilizers are around. I just don't agree with them.

Last edited:
Thanks for the explanation Mace... so based on your description mine is getting old as it does like to follow the lines in the road occasionally and smaller hit will jerk the wheel from side to side (what I was feeling as the stabilizer trying to center I guess).

If it's the stock one, it's most certainly hashed...

Easiest test is to pull it off and see how much resistance it has left.

Yeah I believe it is the stock/OG one as it is thin and black like the images I have seen of the NOS OEM. I will see if I can pull it off and test, plan was that since I got new(er) springs and need to replace my shocks I was going to do at the same time (along with u-bolts, bushings and TREs).

Following the lines in the road is an alignment issue.

I'm inclined to agree with both. You can't exclude the stabiliser from a steering rebuild or refurb, the same way you can exclude a good clean, inspection and probable renewal of TRE's and bearings.

It's worth having a good look and torque up of your spring hangers and u-bolts also. EVERYTHING plays a part in the steering system (no pun intended)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom