FJ60 steering stabilizer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

gregnash

Anal Retentive Analyst
Threads
So looking at replacing the steering stabilizer now that I have new tires that are slightly bigger. Mine is definitely the original unit so def time to replace. I will eventually get a lift for the truck but other priorities first (like being a good husband and getting the wife a new race paddleboard).

So are their stock replacements and would they be sufficient for running 31s? Or would something like a replacement from Ironman, OME, HFS, or Rough Country with a larger bore size be needed? I do now feel a bit of bump steer which is leading me to believe it is time.

Heaps of good options, I used the tough dog big bore on my last rig and I have no complaints and it was about $100AUS

Yeah looks like there are kore options out there than I thought. But there are some that are kits that are adaptable and somewhat are OE fit.

I guess I am beginning to obsess on mud, with too many posts, so maybe it is time to take a break.
But until I do, might as well spill it all out while the spilling's good!

Years (decades) ago, I replaced the stock steering stabilizer with a new aftermarket thing I purchased from a big land cruiser store. It is the kind that has a u-bolt bracket that bolts to the axle housing. It was big and looked cool. The diameter was at least twice the size of the Toyota job. I run 31" tires.
I found it had more damping than the original OEM unit... which ultimately was the reason I got rid of it... even for driving at high speeds on Baja's notoriously hellish dirt roads.

The Toyota steering stabilizer is matched to the steering characteristics of the car. Perhaps some aftermarket ones are as well. My After Market unit was not. If the steering stabilizer has too much damping, natural automatic steering return to a straight line will suffer. You will find you have to turn the wheel back to straight after turning instead of just letting loose of the steering wheel and letting the front wheels return to straight on their own.
I found myself always having to "steer" the wheels back to straight. It was a minor nuisance in the beginning, but after a while it began to annoy me.

Also, stiff steering stabilizers put a lot of strain on the tie rod ends. You are supposed to feel bump steer with the 60's suspension because when the axle rises up on a bump, the angle of the relay rods decrease, and by simple geometry, the relay rod connected to the pitman arm HAS to move outwards a bit... which in turn HAS to move the pitman arm.

Maybe newer AFT steering stabilizers match the dampening characteristics of the Toyota unit. But if they don't, I wouldn't recommend buying any of them.

But that is just my pitiful opinion.

Last edited:
@Output Shaft that is why I was asking the question. I do not plan to ever go bigger than 33s (and even then probably will stay with the 31s) so a "heavy duty" dampner is not really necessary. I do have some return steer from the dampner but not a lot which is another reason that I am believing the steering stabilizer is dead/dying. Looks like the Rough Country, Monroe and others like that (I am looking at the cheaper models) are probably right up my alley.

if you are stock or similar to stock get a OEM or OEM like replacement, otherwise I like the OME product, I think the last one I got was from Kurt at cruiser outfitters... They can be a royal pain in the @$$ to remove though...especially if its been on the truck 20+ years.

Steering stabilizer country:
washboard.jpg

Not: :steer:
Untitled-1.jpg

Yeah thing is though that I really don't want to spend $100 on a stabilizer that will be replaced when I eventually do my lift kit.

Why would you have to replace the OME stabilizer when you end up doing a lift?

Well I would get a full kit so it would come with another one. However, the way things are currently going with other projects and what not the lift may be put off for at least another year, if not two. So I am looking at Long AALs and re-arching my springs as a cheap fix.

I have an old Rancho SS on my 60 with 31's and it seems fine....no issues.

Why buy one at all if you plan to replace it with one from a kit anyways? Or buy the cheapest one you can find. You don't need one. The vehicle will drive fine without it assuming everything else is up to par.

Yeah TREs will be replaced soon here and drivers side knuckle rebuild is on the agenda as well (did PS in April this year). And actually, I found some re-arched and AAL'd stock spring on sale for $100 on CL. Will be picking those up this weekend probably so lift may be a moot point now.

Still would like to replace the steering dampner/stabilizer just for posterity-sake. With it looking like I will get new springs I am going to buy new bushings, u-bolt flip kit (because everyone says it is a good idea to replace the u-bolts if you mess with the springs and they are originals), extended brake lines and shocks in fairly short order to update the suspension. If I do get the springs this will last me for quite a while suspension wise as I do not really wheel all that much.

Just replaced my 1985 stock steering stabilizer with a Toughdog "self centering" steering stabilizer. Installed within a half hour and took it out for a test ride. WOW, so nice. Turn the corner and let go of the wheel. Feels like a modern car.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1427338663.141793.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1427338690.378699.jpg

Is there something wrong with the one that's on there? If you are replacing parts just because they are old or original, you've got lots of parts to replace. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. However, if it isn't working right, that's another situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom