FJ60 Steering Column Bearings (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

djawahir

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
battlebalm.com
So, I'm posting this here since I didn't come up with any good results when I searched. I spent way too much time trying to figure out the numbers on the bearings, too.

After removing my steering wheel for some R&R, I decided to see what conditions some of the bearings in my steering column were. I figured after more than 30 years, these things may need a replacement.
The topmost bearing that sits in the steering column upper bracket (#45275 in pic below, where the key goes) is: NSK 18BSC01 (That's a ZERO, not the letter O.)
It's called a steering main shaft bearing.

The TOYOTA PART NUMBER IS: 90363-18001

The dimensions are:
Inner (d) = 18.75 mm
Outer (D) = 40 mm
Width (B) = 10 mm

Supposedly, there are 3 bearings in the column and circled in blue as shown in the picture below. NOTE THAT THESE ARE NOT THE SAME PART NUMBERS! THEY ARE DIFFERENT BEARINGS!

FJ60_Steering_Column_Bearings.png

Last edited:
My bearing definitely had some play in it. In the first pic, the inner part of the bearing could move in and out about 2 mm. I don't believe that's a good thing.

Though, It was easily popped out of the housing using a punch.
This bearing is not that difficult to get to in the steering column. I'll post up what I find when I dig a little deeper down the steering column and report back. I hope this helps someone!

It's about $90 a bearing through Toyota, but much less if you shop around! :beer:

IMG_5793.jpg

IMG_5803.jpg

So, as I dig further down into my FJ60 steering column, which is a 1987, the middle bearing marked 45201A inside the blue circle is not the same as the topmost bearing. This middle bearing circled in blue is pressed onto the shaft marked #45201 in the picture on the first post.

This middle bearing that is pressed on the shaft marked #45201 is: NSK 28BSC01 (That's a ZERO, not the letter O.)
It's also called a steering main shaft bearing.

The TOYOTA PART NUMBER IS: 90363-28001

The dimensions are:
Inner (d) = 28 mm
Outer (D) = 43 mm
Width (B) = 9.5 mm

The 3 pics below show the bearing pressed onto in all the way to the lip. The other two pics are after I popped the bearing out. Easy with a hammer and punch.

IMG_5818.jpg

IMG_5820.jpg

IMG_5819.jpg

I just recently swapped out my steering column for another unit and it made a huge difference. I did not go through this process like you have, but now wish I had. The other thing is, I’m not sure the ujoints are available, if you find differently, I would be curious.
thanks,
Matt

I was originally going to take my steering wheel off to install a new wiper and light switch module. Now, I'm halfway into the steering column!
The shaft assembly shown in the picture above is still available.
It's called the steering main shaft assembly and the Toyota part #: 45210-22050
U-joints are still available as well, but I thought the lower u-joint assembly was one-piece and could not be disassembled. I don't know here, so maybe someone else can chime in. The u-joints that are still available from Toyota are part #: 04371-10011

I was originally going to take my steering wheel off to install a new wiper and light switch module. Now, I'm halfway into the steering column!
The shaft assembly shown in the picture above is still available.
It's called the steering main shaft assembly and the Toyota part #: 45210-22050
U-joints are still available as well, but I thought the lower u-joint assembly was one-piece and could not be disassembled. I don't know here, so maybe someone else can chime in. The u-joints that are still available from Toyota are part #: 04371-10011
Love this information!!
Thank YOU!!
I love fixing these Steering column/ horn contact issues.

I dont ever recall reading anything about the steering column bearing replacements. Good info...Thanks

From your other thread with terrific pictures:

Were you able to find a NSK equivalent for the bottom 90363-30007 bearing ?

At some point, I'd like to replace the shaft U-Joints, too, and have been looking at this kit:

** NOTE ** for the above linked page, note the addendum at the bottom about the FJ60 lower bearing.

From your other thread with terrific pictures:

That's incredible. I had completely forgotten about that thread! Also, I also completely forgot whether or not I replaced the upper 2 bearings!
Were you able to find a NSK equivalent for the bottom 90363-30007 bearing ?
For the 90363-30007 bearing, I'm still trying to figure out a nice way to get the bearing out without having to remove the whole column...once I get it out, I'll post pics!
At some point, I'd like to replace the shaft U-Joints, too, and have been looking at this kit:

** NOTE ** for the above linked page, note the addendum at the bottom about the FJ60 lower bearing.
I also saw that kit. I didn't pull the trigger on it because I wanted to see the lower bearing part number first! I'll post up what I find! Thanks @Spike Strip!

Ok, I just went from genius level 0 to genius level 11!
The intermediate shaft can be removed from the steering housing with a soft mallet on the cabin side. After cleaning out the crud around the white plastic dust seal, it came out pretty easily. (I'm posting this because I couldn't for the life of me find out how to remove the FJ60 intermediate shaft in the FSM or using Google search.

IMG_5872.jpg

IMG_5874.jpg

Once the intermediate shaft is out, the white plastic dust seal (aka seal, main shaft lower dust with part #: 45292-35030) splits apart and there is a rubber o-ring inside and the magical lower bearing can be found. Remove the shaft side c-clip and the bearing should practically slide off.

This lower bearing is nearest to the engine. I am having a hard time finding the correct Toyota part number for this part. So far, I've got 90363-30007, but I cannot verify that it is correct through multiple sources.

The markings on the bearing are: NSK 6906DU2 (That's a ZERO, not the letter O.). I believe that the bearing part # is also 6906DDU according to the NSK website.
It's also called a steering main shaft bearing lower.

The TOYOTA PART NUMBER IS: (STILL UNVERIFIED)

The actual dimensions are:
Inner (d) = 30 mm
Outer (D) = 47 mm
Width (B) = 9 mm

IMG_5878.jpg

IMG_5875.jpg

IMG_5876.jpg

Rubber o-ring sizes in the steering column listed for completeness here.
I measured the large o-ring on the left of the image below and it is a metric 6mm x 60mm size o-ring.
The small o-ring in the right of the picture is the one that sits inside the white dust seal and over the bearing. It shows to be a metric 2.5mm x 46mm size.
I replaced both with BUNA as I believe that's the correct material. HTH!

IMG_5879.jpg

Last edited:
Just to add a bit to this, that lower bearing, NSK 6906DU2 (6906DDU) 90363-30007, doesn't seem to be readily available unless you want the Toyota-boxed one. I found this Japan-made NTN that's the exact specs listed above. And FWIW, those O-Rings are out of production.

The Upper and Center Bearings are readily available in the OEM aftermarket, as is Japanese made Spider U-Joint

PXL_20240114_235957422.jpg
PXL_20240114_235937494.jpg
PXL_20240114_235855998.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom