FJ60 rear liftgate glass replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My rear liftgate glass broke, I ordered a replacement from cruiserparts.net, and it's on the way. I'd like to know if this is something that I can replace on my own, or do I have to take it to either a body shop or have someone with experience do it.

Do I have to buy a new rubber or the old one works.

The old rubber was not damaged.

Thanks guys

You can replace it yourself, but you're going to have a hard time re-inserting the "chrome" lock strip in the gasket. Might be easier to get a black rubber lock strip.

There's a thread on Mud (try search function) that's titled "blacking out" IIRC that talks about the right black lock strip. Also, I'm pretty sure I wrote up directions on this task so try searching on "glass".

If you can't find anything, PM me.

I left the chrome strip out when I replaced the rear glass about five years ago and the glass is still there no problemo. If the old seal is in decent shape it can be reused, no problem, also. It's pretty easy to install, just be patient and methodical with it. Did you check price at your local Toyota dealer before ordering from Cruiserparts? Some OEM glass is much cheaper new than it is at the wrecking yards. The back glass with heater element may not be.

Thanks guys will look at it.

Overhanger, I scared to call the dealership, everytime I need anything is like 10 times the cost than cruiserparts.net. They've been awesome with me and have never has an issue.

It's easy to do yourself.

You have to remove the chrome to get the glass out of the seal. The seal can be installed on the glass out of the vehicle with the chrome trim. All on a bench. Then you put a thin rope around the seal and push the window and seal up to the spot while someone(my wife :) ) pulls the rope/string. A little dish soap around the metal helps the rubber slide in.

PS.. you want the chrome in the seal before you push the window in the vehicle. Putting the chrome in after the fact is extremely hard. And the window goes in fine with the chrome in the seal.... The only thing you cannot do is put the glass in the rubber seal with the chrome trim installed. It is a lock ring for seal to glass.

A glass shop charged me 30 bucks to do it.

Over -
I'd say you've been very, very lucky. Now go put it in like a good boy.

Brownie -
That's the slow but less technically difficult way.

I've had good luck putting a little dishsoap on the seal to get it to slide in. Everyone always says to use the rope but I've never had to.

We perfeshennals use the rope, & a lot of wienerslicker (spray silicone). I have a trick tool that's a tube attached to a screwdriver handle that the rope runs through. Makes it easy to insert the rope way down in the groove.

When spraying the gasket with silicone, hold the former over a trash can. You might be surprised how slippery a patch of concrete can get from silicone overspray.

PS.. you want the chrome in the seal before you push the window in the vehicle. Putting the chrome in after the fact is extremely hard. And the window goes in fine with the chrome in the seal.... The only thing you cannot do is put the glass in the rubber seal with the chrome trim installed. It is a lock ring for seal to glass.
@brownbear that's really helpful. I prefer the chrome look and would like to keep that after replacing the glass. Any tips on removing it during the glass removal? Will the chrome fit into a new seal with the channel or only the original/OEM seal?

@brownbear that's really helpful. I prefer the chrome look and would like to keep that after replacing the glass. Any tips on removing it during the glass removal? Will the chrome fit into a new seal with the channel or only the original/OEM seal?
Don't remove the chrome during removal and replacement of the glass. It is darn near impossible to get back in without damaging it. I've done it many times unfortunately.

When I removed my glass for a repaint, I pried out the glass and seal together from the inside, using many screwdrivers, and then reinstalled it with rope. Never took the rubber off the glass, and never disturbed the chrome trim (which has hail dents, but that's another story).

When I removed my glass for a repaint, I pried out the glass and seal together from the inside, using many screwdrivers, and then reinstalled it with rope. Never took the rubber off the glass, and never disturbed the chrome trim (which has hail dents, but that's another story).
Great! You answered my next question. So it all comes out in one big happy piece and goes back in that way.

@SteveH Was that the original rubber? Mines original as far as I’m aware and is in good shape so I didn’t have any plans on replacing it if I don’t have to

My original rubber was supple and just fine. Same with the rear side windows. I had to replace all the glass in the truck due to a puppy with sharp claws gone wild. But, be careful with any original rubber and use plenty of soap and water and go slowly upon reassembly.

Great! You answered my next question. So it all comes out in one big happy piece and goes back in that way.

@SteveH Was that the original rubber? Mines original as far as I’m aware and is in good shape so I didn’t have any plans on replacing it if I don’t have to

Yes one big happy piece. Pried form the inside out. Going back in use a thin rope. Google installing truck rear window with a rope for a video. You wrap a rope around, have a friend keep the pressure from the outside and you slowly pull the rubber seal over the metal lip with the rope.

My original rubber was supple and just fine. Same with the rear side windows. I had to replace all the glass in the truck due to a puppy with sharp claws gone wild. But, be careful with any original rubber and use plenty of soap and water and go slowly upon reassembly.

Soap/water is good, as long as it isn't corrosive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom