Fj60 diesel conversion (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That sucks! Good call on popping the head off.
I had a cracked piston in my Mitsubishi 4d34...
Bought a used piston and rod assembly from Busby Trucks, swapped the con rod big end bearings, honed the barrel and reassembled. Working well.
Yours is in worse shape than mine though...
You just did the one? I figured I had to do all 6 so the back 2 aren't giving better compression readings then the front. Am I thinking wrong??

Yes, one used piston and rings. I took a gamble. Didn't want to spend the $$ on this block and could not afford the downtime at the machine shop. Again, works well for now...

I'd do all 6. Industrial Injection is just around the corner from you.
Industrial wants 1500 bucks for pistons.. I also live very close to Cummins so I am thinking stock pistons. Also the injectors are shot

They're Mahle coated pistons! :D

Stock is good too I guess. Can't remember if you have a VE engine but I'll go with the Lucas 300 POD injectors when I do mine. Industrial Injection wants 450$ for a set.

I saw that. What exactly is Mahle coated??

Those are pretty badass! I might have to think about those! I just wish they weren't 1500 bucks :( haha

Oof, that's not good news. Did it run when you bought it?
Bought the truck in Arizona and got it back here and started the motor for a good minute. Actually ran pretty smooth even without having the turbo hooked up. This was the last thing I was expecting to see haha

Now all I have heard is Cummins gaskets this and that and I want all your opinions on that. Did you guys use Cummins gaskets or did it even make a difference in my experience it has never made any difference. I found this engine kit and am really thinking about it. But I figured I would get seconds thoughts on it first

1410183377521.jpg

1410183390351.jpg

1410183401759.jpg

Damn man, that sucks. Were the valves damaged at all?

Based on the fact that it ran well I bet your crank will be alright. Here's to hoping the block is as well :cheers:

I would recommend using a cummins head gasket at the very least, but I used 100% cummins OEM gaskets for everything I replaced. Make sure to measure your head bolts for stretching (cummins makes a little cardboard stretch gauge) and replace any that have stretched too much. Better yet, move right to studs if you can afford it. Wishing I did now.

The valves seem to be okay but we will see what the machinist says about it. And I was planning to go to studs. And I guess I will stick with the Cummins gaskets. I am looking around 400 bucks from Cummins at my price to reseal the whole motor. Now its just finding pistons at a decent price.

Also just had a thought. Can I run the 4 old pistons that are in great shape with 2 new ones from Cummins and new rings on all 6??

Assuming that the 4 old pistons that are in good shape still measure out in spec, and are very close to the new two, then yes, I'd imagine you're fine.

Assuming that the 4 old pistons that are in good shape still measure out in spec, and are very close to the new two, then yes, I'd imagine you're fine.
Sweet thanks! I will cross my fingers that they are and we will see what the machinist says

Thoughts?

1410191086437.jpg

Ok, so you can't just go out and buy "pistons" for a cummins motor. The bowl shape and position needs to be taken into consideration and the piston diameter needs to be taken into consideration. Variations in the pistons themselves include, but aren't limited to:

1. Original motor application (marine vs stationary vs onroad)
2. Injector spray angle (changes size of bowl)
3. Injector spray pattern (changes shape of bowl)
4. Whether the engine had oil squirters or not
5. Compression ratio

Good to know thanks johnny. I am just trying to explore all options is all. Your info is good to know.

If you're not aware of it yet, http://quickserve.cummins.com is an awesome resource. Registration is free and allows you to look up the piston part number for your motor, including cross-reference motors as well. Use the ESN (Engine Serial Number) to look up the numbers you have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom