Fj60 4spd Transmission Troubles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have an 87 FJ60 with the original 4spd transmission, which is going south quickly. 2nd gear is essentially non existent and reverse is questionable. I would love to upgrade to a 5spd, but financially it's just not in the cards at the moment. I'm in the SF Bay area and hoping to track down a mechanic that rebuilds these transmissions in the area. I've checked with a couple local transmission shops and have been turned away. Any advice is also greatly appreciated as well and the FJ is my daily driver.

X2 about Georg, most likely not financially a good idea to rebuild your trans, being as you can get good used ones for much less than rebuilding your existing.

There are virtually no new parts available for the 4 speed tranny. Cheapest option is to find a working used unit. They are out there.

A used 4 speed transmission is not expensive. About 5 years I saw one near me go for free. Now they're worth a little more, but not a lot. The transfer case has to be disassembled to remove it from the transmission so that's time to rebuild it. I rebuilt mine with no prior knowledge so it should be easy for a real mechanic. As others have said, Georg would be the best choice. If you have stay local, look for an old school transmission shop that works on manuals. I'd stay away from the chains.

a guy i know has a four speed that i can get for free. i'm located central coast couple hours south of you.

a guy i know has a four speed that i can get for free. i'm located central coast couple hours south of you.
Wow, really, that's great. I'm definitely willing to pay for it as well. Do you know about how many miles are on it and I assume 1-4 and reverse all work. I really appreciate the help.

i don't know how many miles are on it. its was pulled to be replaced with a 5spd. i believe that all gears work in it. at least that is what i was told.

just make sure it is the long version, or it won't work for SFSurfer.

i don't know how many miles are on it. its was pulled to be replaced with a 5spd. i believe that all gears work in it. at least that is what i was told.
Thanks again for the offer. I think I found a transmission a bit closer to home that should work for me. We'll see?

Let me know if you need any help with this or any parts.
I would highly advise checking the clutch, engine rear main seal and oil pan gasket while you're in there.
Feel free to call ......

Georg @ Valley Hybrids & Cruiser Brothers

Cell Phone (650) 576-2023

sounds good. and to just let you know that it is the long cased four speed. he had thought it was a 5spd and when i went and looked it was only a four. and told him that i couldn't use it but would let him know if things changed. good luck

Let me know if you need any help with this or any parts.
I would highly advise checking the clutch, engine rear main seal and oil pan gasket while you're in there.
Feel free to call ......

Georg @ Valley Hybrids & Cruiser Brothers

Cell Phone (650) 576-2023
Sounds great. I'll definitely be in touch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom