fj45? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anybody made there own fj45 short bed? I'm looking into it for my next project when I finish the one I'm working on now. Photos and info. would be nice, if you got any.
Thanks in advance,

Mike

I know a guy with about 50 75 series brand new, mint boxes.... If you want his contact info pm me...

D

I appreciate it, I may have to go that route, but I like the look of the short bed.

Out of a 40? Or the box? From a 60... There's a very cool extended cab "45".

Do you mean this short?
46318731-3.jpg

96174563.jpg

Rudi
46318731-3.jpg
96174563.jpg

What I have I a 1965 FJ45 LB frame chopped just behind the rear spring perches. I have an all alum body from Aqualu, 6" extended cab, with a shortened 64" LB style box,

Let me look for a pic or two. It's a work in progress, behind a 40 and 60.

House Pics CD 1 037.jpg

House Pics CD 1 040.jpg

House Pics CD 1 039.jpg
House Pics CD 1 037.jpg
House Pics CD 1 040.jpg
House Pics CD 1 039.jpg

Last edited:
Check out D'animal's rig. 4BT powered "FJ 45" extended cab short bed. I love that thing.

Yep, D'Animals rig is nice. I don't have that planned for mine though, not to that extent anyway. That's what I'm talking about with the bed though. I can fab up something a lot cheaper then I can buy a bed so that's the route I'm gonna take. I've got another 40 I can cut up and to make the bed, I just need some direction.

I'd go for something like this...
IMG_3039.jpg

But with an extended cab.

I googled swb fj45.

Look for a 45 frame first, if that's what you're starting with. The 40 frames have a diamond shape, lengthening them is awkward.

I'd go for something like this...

But with an extended cab.

I googled swb fj45.

That's exactly the look I'm going for. Although an extended cab would be nice, I'm just gonna work with what I've got.
Ok, to be honest, I'm not going to build a ordinary fj45. I just want the look. This is what I had in mind.
Get a toyota tacoma, take the cab and bed off, fit the cab and bed of a fj45 on it. That's what I'd like to do. Any thoughts?

That's exactly the look I'm going for. Although an extended cab would be nice, I'm just gonna work with what I've got.
Ok, to be honest, I'm not going to build a ordinary fj45. I just want the look. This is what I had in mind.
Get a toyota tacoma, take the cab and bed off, fit the cab and bed of a fj45 on it. That's what I'd like to do. Any thoughts?

That sounds like the start of a plan, but keep in mind you have ALOT involved to get them integrated. You will also be left with a less than desireable front suspension setup versus the solid axle. You will also have a mountain of wire to climb. FJ45's didn't come with airbags:doh:.

Personally, if I was thinking on taking on a project like this I'd find an FJ45 frame and work from that as your foundation. I'd also find a full floater for the rear and build the front diff. Then find a diesel motor/tranny and tcase combo of my choice and start searching and searching and searching threads to see what others have done. This site can save you alot of time as well as alot of money in figuring out what will work and what will not.

That sounds like the start of a plan, but keep in mind you have ALOT involved to get them integrated. You will also be left with a less than desireable front suspension setup versus the solid axle. You will also have a mountain of wire to climb. FJ45's didn't come with airbags:doh:.

Personally, if I was thinking on taking on a project like this I'd find an FJ45 frame and work from that as your foundation. I'd also find a full floater for the rear and build the front diff. Then find a diesel motor/tranny and tcase combo of my choice and start searching and searching and searching threads to see what others have done. This site can save you alot of time as well as alot of money in figuring out what will work and what will not.

Yep, I relize the suspension is gonna be less then desirable. I'm not looking to build a off road rig, just a unique, dependable, 4x4 that I can drive and use for everyday use.
Good point on the airbags and what not, didn't think about that. I'll have to do some talking, and research about that.
Yeah this site is great, that's why I'm throwing it out there now, to get people thinking so they can share there opinions.

I really appreciate the replies,

Mike

I'd use a 55 or bj60 drivetrain... Or possibly a pre 88 pickup or forerunner.

Turbo3B would be my first engine choice... Bj60s can be found for $1000-$1500 in these parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom