FJ40 Lift/Hanger Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The previous owner installed the shown lift. Original OEM front hangers have been replaced. If I'm guessing correctly it appears to be a 4" lift.

Can I install a OME 2-2.5" lift?
What do suggest I do to make it happen? Hangers, etc..

Jeff
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

That looks like a shackle reversal kit. Both BTB and Man-a-Fre used the same design. They are not supposed to provide any lift so they can be used on lifted vehicles. So, yes you can put a lift on it.

I don't think you have to do anything special. Just watch for any typical issues with adding a lift.

There definitely is some lift. It has 33's with no rubbing.

That looks like a shackle reversal kit. Both BTB and Man-a-Fre used the same design. They are not supposed to provide any lift so they can be used on lifted vehicles. So, yes you can put a lift on it.

I don't think you have to do anything special. Just watch for any typical issues with adding a lift.

these are old school SR first market by advance handling in oregon
they give 1 1/2 " of lift in front so you need a 2 1/2" spring in front and 4" spring in rear or an extended shackle in rear
4+ make a similar kit but the hangar are turn 180 degree for better approach angle
people call them rock finder but it is not worst then extended shackle in front

I would love to go back to stock config but need hangers. I'm not sure they are easily accessible.

Jeff

This. ^^^^

The other option, depending on your plans for the rig, would be to return the front end to the stock config, then use a standard 2 1/2" lift.

Post up in the parts wanted section of the classifieds. Based on your pictures there are people who cut them off.

When I did my SOA, I used the front stock hangers in the rear of the front springs for a shackle reversal. I did it to maximize the rock clearance under the bumper. It's about as far from your current setup as you can get.

Or you could just buy new ones and find someone who knows how to weld. I went with a guy who was certified for the suspension.

https://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/springshackhang.html

I guess I will also need to fix hanger behind front axle as well.

Post up in the parts wanted section of the classifieds. Based on your pictures there are people who cut them off.

When I did my SOA, I used the front stock hangers in the rear of the front springs for a shackle reversal. I did it to maximize the rock clearance under the bumper. It's about as far from your current setup as you can get.

Or you could just buy new ones and find someone who knows how to weld. I went with a guy who was certified for the suspension.

https://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/springshackhang.html

you can install a 2.5 lift with longer shackle in rear for now and drive it like this ,and when you find some hanger for the front, you change the rear shackle for stock one
i run those on my 40 for 11 years now and it is fine for the way i use it , some day i will do a soa like fast eddy for a better approach and softer ride

I would love to go back to stock config but need hangers. I'm not sure they are easily accessible.

Jeff

I have a later "Advanced Handling" shackle reversal on my Cruiser, I say leave it. Shackle reversals have some benefits. The do ride a little better on the street. They do drag on rocks, but they're bombproof. When doing a lift with this, you do have to worry about the driveshaft, since the axle travels away from the transfer case you need to lengthen your driveshaft when adding flexy springs or extended shackles.

I am pro shackle reversal, some people will argue with me and that's fine, but either way with it already on there, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Unless I was going to do something dramatic like SOA, I would keep it as is, besides it looks like a pretty solid install.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom