FJ On-Road Manners? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mts

Threads
I'm looking for some initial opinions. I did a search and found a few threads that helped a bit, but thought I might get some more help a bit more on point.

I've just started thinking about picking up an FJ Cruiser. My main concern is how these vehicles are handling "on-road", ride-quality, etc. I haven't been off-roading in years which is one of the reasons I got rid of my 80-series, but I keep thinking I might get back into it at least a little. The FJ is attractive to me in that way, but even if I do, on-road performance is more important to me.

I'll also use the FJ to tow my track car (car + aluminum trailer and parts should come in under 4,000lbs), so that makes cross-overs like the Acura MDX, Honda Pilot & Toyota Highlander not an option due to their very low towing capacity. I also like the idea of a 6-speed manual A LOT, which pretty much elminates many other possibilities.

In the end, I'll probably end up with the FJ or a 4-Runner, but I'd really like to get that manual tranny in the FJ. So for those that have cross-shopped a few different vehicles, what are the FJ's road manners like? How would it compare to an 80-series or perhaps a new 4-runner for those that have been in both?

Obviously, I need to get out and drive one for myself as I fully realize "ride quality", "handling" & "road noise" are subjective comments at best, but they've continued to be VERY scarce locally.....just don't stay on the lots long and every time I've driven by in a position to test drive....no FJ's. I'll probably wait until a bit later in the year to purchase as a result.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Mike

Out of your choices, the 4Runner is the best for towing. V8+5spd auto+thicker sway bars, longer wheelbase, tighter turn radius. 4Runner also has a airbag rear leveling suspension option (not sure if it is still offered, but look into it).

FJC rides excellent and the V6 pulls great. It wallows more b/c of smaller sway bars (better suspension flex). Check the manual tow rating- is it the same as the auto?
Both great choices tho

FJC vs Other

I feel you answerd your own question, you do need to test drive one for yourself. I pull a 5x10 single axle trailor loaded to the brim with equipment, about 4700 pounds and have no problems at all. I have the six speed manual tranny. I have installed a lift to my FJC so it is a little stiffer than stock. I feel you would be pleased with the pulling capabilites of the FJC.:grinpimp: Michael

Ditto. You gotta drive 'em all, in whatever situations the salesman will allow...

I have owned both a 4runner and currently the FJC. Very different vehicles. Take them both out for an extended test ride and you will see some immediate differences....not that one is better than the other...just diferent

I think the FJC rides remarkably well. It's really quiet. More than once, I've found myself going 90mph and didn't realize it because it's so quiet. In my '98 LC, if I'm going 90, between the wind noise and the BFG AT's humming, it'll make my head explode.

I like the way the FJ rides while on the road. I have not yet towed anything with my FJ or driven in a 4-runner, but I think that the FJ feels better than my 2005 Tacoma. I don't find that there is excessive road noise, although, I have heard that the roof rack provides considerable wind noise (mine is sans roof rack). I like the stiff feel of the FJ over the mushier suspension systems of more "road friendly" vehicles.

I think the FJC rides remarkably well. It's really quiet. More than once, I've found myself going 90mph and didn't realize it because it's so quiet. In my '98 LC, if I'm going 90, between the wind noise and the BFG AT's humming, it'll make my head explode.

I would be amazed if the '98 (100 series) TLC is louder than an FJ. I have a 00 TLC and it is very quiet. Are sure it wasn't just the tires? Maybe swampers instead of ATs.

The first week I had my FJC I drove it three hundred miles or so on freeways and in Atlanta traffic then took it to 'The Tail of The Dragon', an internationally reknowned stretch of twisties in western North Carolina. I couldn't find anything to complain about and I test BMW X5s for a living. In fact the X5 is the closest comparison I can give you for on-road manners, excluding of course the rear vision issue which I'm sure you've heard of. But that is no worse than any truck with a camper top, you just have to know how to use side mirrors.

The electronic stability control (VSC, Vehicle Stability Control, equiv to BMW DSC) makes you look like an Andretti in aggressive canyon carving. You just cannot get this truck out of shape. I'm pretty sure that I came down The Dragon faster than I have in my 535, even than on motorcycles maybe. I drove on the Cherohala Skyway with a good frosting of snow and routinely 1.5X to 2Xed the speed limit. Yeah the FJC has impeccable road manners.

And off road I've been wheeling bone-stock with built cruisers of every type at Tellico and Uwharrie and pretty much hanging, the only barrier being altitude which I'll be curing for now with a mild lift and later more aggessive when my tires are ready to replace.

Finally: Good call on the six-speed. Something I haven't seen much of on the boards but the auto is part-time 4wd. It's great for 'wheeling but for a DD is basically a rwd 2wd. The manual has the awesome Torsten center diff. When you're in street mode, i.e. AWD the Torsten varies pull fore and aft from 20/80 through 40/60 (default) all the way to 51/49. This coupled with the VSC and ATRAC and you have state of the art road handling on pavement wet or dry and smooth dirt. And the torque is so good that when you're crawling in bumper to bumper traffic you can almost stop without de-clutching. On the trails in 4Low you actually can stop momentarily in 1st without stalling.
This is an awesome machine.

And the front/rear balance is of course better than a pickup and I would assume a 4Runner.

My tuppence worth.
bw

I would be amazed if the '98 (100 series) TLC is louder than an FJ. I have a 00 TLC and it is very quiet. Are sure it wasn't just the tires? Maybe swampers instead of ATs.

Nope. BFG 295/75/R16's. Much noisier than the stock FJC tires....which is not surprising in light of the much more docile Bridgstone tread-pattern that came with the FJC.

My 80 feels like a dump truck (on the road, of course) compared to the FJ. That is not a slam on my 80, as I love the vehicle. The FJ is simply newer, faster, less noisy, lighter and a manual transmission. It feels like a sports car compared to the 80. Which brings up another valid point: The FJ does not have that "indestructible" feel of the 80.

I would recommend that you check out a used 100. I got mine with 12k miles for about the same price as a new Limited, V8 4Runner. IMHO, the 100 gives you the best of both worlds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom