FJ Cruiser vs. the 100 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I went from an 07FJ that I had put a lot of time and effort into and it was a great vehicle, it took me anywhere I wanted to go and if it didn't then my winch would finish the trip. A lot a factors led me to purchase an '00 100 series LandCruiser, and yes that is how it is, I am extremely happy. The Hundy is quieter, more comfortable on and off road, and is a different beast all together. Remember though, 100 series means you add and extra $100 to every part...:lol:

Just for the record.....

It's Land Cruiser....not Landcruiser;p

...and even Land Cruiser owners dont know this. Check your local craigslist and I guarantee you'll get results for both:eek:. I search both on CL

Just for the record, I do know the correct nomenclature as demonstrated by my design in the picture below. I was simply typing quickly on my iPad and didn't think I'd get taken to the woodshed for the typo...

file.jpg

file-1.jpg

Just for the record.....

It's Land Cruiser....not Landcruiser;p

...and even Land Cruiser owners dont know this. Check your local craigslist and I guarantee you'll get results for both:eek:. I search both on CL

ooooh, I want one Jerry!

That could be arranged Rick. I had them made for the ONSC Meet and Greet event last month, every member got one for attending. We had plans for a homebrew competition but I was then only one who had a batch finished in time for the event. I brought my Imperial IPA for all to taste.

file-10.jpg

I do have quite a few extra and will be offering them in our club section, just haven't posted a "for sale" thread yet. PM me for details and I'm sure I can get at least one in your hands to enjoy your favorite adult beverage in...

Nice glasses MTB! I love that!

Ok, so for some tech stuff, here are my thoughts regarding some various newer versions of the LC comparing them to the new FJC. BTW, my father in law has a FJC, which I have driven and which was something I talked him into. He loves it and my mother in law hates it. Too much of a "man-truck" for her. I guess that is why she just bought a Lexus IS-350C - girl-car.:p

I own both a 100 and a 80 series LC. The 100 is my DD and the 80 is my son's DD. Both of these vehicles are fun to drive and are very stout compared to other brand's of SUVs, but are very expensive to modify. Especially modifying two of them! Quality wise, you just cannot beat them. Capability wise, I have had both, along with the FJC out in the mountain terrain around Boise and none of the 3 have ever let me down.

My last outing we drove the 80 with the local LC club. With us we had a heavily modified 40, a very nicely modified 60, my stock 80, a lifted and locked 100, and a stock FJC. The stock 80 took the terrain a bit better than the stock FJC, who was running right in front of me, but who showed himself to be still very capable of passing everything the 80 could. Clearance became an issue for both of us at one point.

That said, if you can dedicate the FJC to just yourself and one passenger, and remove that silly back seat, I think it is an awesome vehicle that can be modified for less cost than the 100 or the 80, but if you need any room at all and want to allow for more than one passenger, I would take the 100 or 80 any day of the week.

My 100 has been out in the same area and even though it is not locked, it has been amazing in very slippery conditions. It is just very spendy when wanting to do any modifications. You kind of have to go the 1K route on that truck... new bumper - $1K, new sliders - $1K, new rear bumper - more than $1K, winch - $1 - 1.6K depending upon manufacturer and whether you go with the 9.5K or bigger given the truck weight.

So, long post rather than short.... if I were to choose a truck for just me, I would probably choose the FJC and keep a load of cash rather than spend a bunch more for the same mods on a 100, but if I want to bring my kids along, I would choose the 100 every time. It is just better suited to haul more.:beer:

Thought I read somewhere that the FJC is based off of the Land Cruiser Prado, even that Toyota is using the Prado frame for the FJC to save development and manufacturing costs.

Who cares which one is better. They are both great rigs, one is simply more expensive than the other.

Bigern - I believe you are correct. Both the 4Runner and the FJC are based upon the Prado. I think the discussion came up because of where the cost for used 100s are coming in compared to a new FJC. BTW, I agree: both are great vehicles.

Some people just need something to hate, to make them feel better about themselves I suppose.

How times change, or maybe they don't! When I bought my '91 FJ80, it was the current object of purist hate. I was told that it could not possibly be a Land Cruiser, because it had coil-spring suspension and full-time 4WD (no locking hubs on the front). Nothing but a mall/soccer mom wagon, and the death of all things Cruiser! 80, 100, and 200-series owners owe the FJC and their owners a debt of gratitude; now they finally have something to to turn their nose up at! :rolleyes:

Some people just need something to hate, to make them feel better about themselves I suppose.

How times change, or maybe they don't! When I bought my '91 FJ80, it was the current object of purist hate. I was told that it could not possibly be a Land Cruiser, because it had coil-spring suspension and full-time 4WD (no locking hubs on the front). Nothing but a mall/soccer mom wagon, and the death of all things Cruiser! 80, 100, and 200-series owners owe the FJC and their owners a debt of gratitude; now they finally have something to to turn their nose up at! :rolleyes:

If we ever meet, the first few beers are on me Sir. :beer:

4doors are great if you're into that sort of thing... And isn't that what this all boils down to?

For me, I'll keep the 2 doors with suicides.

I have a '99 100 series and am considering trading it for a 2014 FJC. Am I crazy to do this? I've driven the FJC and know I'd be giving up some comfort, but I'm single and no longer really need the 100 space. I've always been impressed with the FJC and have owned the 99, since 2002. Opinions?

I still own both and if I didn't have a fam, dog and too much crap the FJ would be good on all levels. The FJ was great for me pre 100 on many solo trips or when my family was younger. The 100 is near perfect for family outings.

Keep in mind the total payload of the FJ (or at least my '07) isn't spectacular so if you load it up with armor, tires, winch, etc. you run out of space and capacity real quick. If you're using simply for a DD and/or weekend outings (camping, hiking/biking, etc.) it will be perfect.

People will complain about the blind spot but it's idiotic for several reasons. First, because we all know about it before we buy. Second, you get used to it very quickly.

I always felt the V6 felt like a V8.

I personally believe you'll be happy with the FJ as long as you don't try to compare it to the 100. It's largely apples to oranges.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply and insight. I'm divorced and certainly don't need the space, although I do camp a lot and it comes in handy. I think I've decided to purchase a 2014 4Runner SR5 Premium. It's a great size for me, will handle any 4X4 stuff I throw at it (I'm not a "Rubicon Trail Guy"!) and the dealer is offering great incentives b/c the 2015s are coming in. Plus it's a bit more comfortable than the FJC. I had a '93 4Runner and loved it. It did better off road than my stock 1978 FJ40 -- that's probably heresy to say here? However my 99 & 00 100 series cruisers will be impossible to beat, but I haven't bought a new vehicle since the last century and there's some new technology I'd love to have!

It's funny as I was going to say a 4 door FJC would be near perfect but that would make it a 4Runner (body design elements aside). My guess is the 4Runner will ride better. Paul May from Equipt selected a 4Runner to replace his 100. You are in good hands.

I pulled the trigger and purchased a 2014 SR5 Premium 4Runner. 2 hours of solid haggling was worth it. I like the trail edition, but in all reality I go truly off road more in my mind than in reality. Lots of dirt/gravel roads in the mountains between different trout rivers. It rides almost as cushy as the '99 100 series and has better acceleration, more HP, but less torque than the '99. Thanks for all the posts.

I purchased a 2014 4Runner SR5 premium for my wife's daily driver. I drive a '10 fj cruiser daily. Driving wise it isn't much different compared to a FJ cruiser, the ventilation however is much better than the FJ. I like the roll down rear window and all of the tech features compared to the FJ cruiser. It's a great family vehicle IMO, FJ cruiser is better off roading or long road trips solo or with one other person.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom