FJ Body Lift? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anybody know of any FJ body lifts out there...A one 1.5 inch with a matched motor mount lift would make a nice flat belly and allow some 37's on a basic 3 inch lift.

I'm betting that a body lift on the FJC would be a fairly big project to undertake. I'm guess that's why we haven't seen any yet, or at least none that I know of. The bumpers would probably end up looking out of place and I'm not sure you could do much to compensate.

plus Body lifts are :flamingo:

true the may be :flamingo: but maybe much cheaper for those of us who bought shorter suspension lifts when the FJC came out and want to go higher. I hate the thought of ripping 3k off the bus and spending another 3 or 4k to get higher.

nice first post, nice polite language :rolleyes:

------------------

I haven't checked them closely, but I believe the 6" lifts relocate the front suspension bracketry lower....minimizes the real gains, but kinda required for lower A-arm geometry....

Much as I can't stand body lifts, a 1" might be nice for some things....any more than that tho and they require a lot of work to look decent....

the expensive part would be relocating the motor/trans higher....definitely gonna lose your warranty for that move....

If you are looking for 37's, you are limited by axle strength....the front CV's just won't take a tire that size for long....in which case you are likely looking for a SAS and big $$...and your old lift will be a great used-item for another owner looking to upgrade....

heck, I've gone thru 4-5 lifts on my FJ40 and 2 on my FZJ80....magically, someone is always ready to buy the old ones :D

Lol..body lifts. I love seeing them on jeeps and when they turn it looks like the cabin is gonna fall off :-D

I would personally use a spacer lift before a body lift....body lifts only give some minimal clearance from tire rub and do nothing for offroadability, suspension or anything else...the extreme ones look ridiculous.

my cherokee only need an inch of lift so I went with Skyjacker spacers and new shocks....high quality setup with no worries of spacers falling out like old days when they spread the springs....instead it was new leaf in rear and new coil spacer up front.

too many other better options out there now to spend $200-300 on body lift when you can get a good spacer lift for same price.

lol I love seeing replies like this. Absolutely nothing to add to the conversation and pretty uninformed for such an elitist attitude. I have run everything from an 85 yota with a blower and 35 spline 9" both ends with 39.5 swampers and a 3" body lift to a vette powered tpi CJ with coilover and 37s and 2" body lift. Body lifts on all of them to get the extra I needed. Never an issue. I've done everything from Mudbogging locally to the Rubicon and the myths about them shearing off are just that. Myths.
Yes, resurrecting a dead thread to try and shed some light to this.
Body lifts are just there to get a little more clearance to run the tires you need without having to resort to glass fenders or risk real damage when your suspension cycles. When done right, there is no issue (at all). Please just give it a rest.

Please just give it a rest.

LOL, it had been resting peacefully for more than seven years before you just stirred the pot again. It was pine-in' for the fjords...

Last edited:
LOL, it had been resting peacefully for more than seven years before you just stirred the pot again. It was pine-in' for the fjords...

I agree Lee...:beer:

lol I love seeing replies like this. Absolutely nothing to add to the conversation and pretty uninformed for such an elitist attitude. I have run everything from an 85 yota with a blower and 35 spline 9" both ends with 39.5 swampers and a 3" body lift to a vette powered tpi CJ with coilover and 37s and 2" body lift. Body lifts on all of them to get the extra I needed. Never an issue. I've done everything from Mudbogging locally to the Rubicon and the myths about them shearing off are just that. Myths.
Yes, resurrecting a dead thread to try and shed some light to this.
Body lifts are just there to get a little more clearance to run the tires you need without having to resort to glass fenders or risk real damage when your suspension cycles. When done right, there is no issue (at all). Please just give it a rest.

Agreed, yet, if body lifts were a viable option, for the FJC, one would see more posts and feedback from other's who have experience using them. The FJC is not as tolerant of the upgrades you've used before, making for a different set of challenges you are planning. You will be going thru rear diff's like butter with 37's unless you have the the throttle control of an angel. If you are running a front locker, put those on the list also to plan on replacing.

Not trying to be negative, just honest so you know what you are getting yourself into. I only wheeled with 3 FJC's that ran 37's, 2 were SAC'd, one wasn't. The one who wasn't SAC'd couldn't drive the streets without a series of rubbing issues, eventually, sold the 37's and went back to a 35" x 10.50" and never looked back.

Soooooo much depends on your end goal, sounds like you are a serious wheeler. I think you will be frustrated and not happy with the performance you'll get running 37's on the FJC. I know I pushed mine with 35's, wheeled the crap out of it, took it anywhere I wanted and have no regrets.

As I mentioned in the other thread you posted on, good luck, post pics and break some new ground for others to follow...

maybe you're thinking of, Bandi on the Blue Room ... he makes the body lift spacers, but I thought they were for a small body lift i.e. net affect, 1/2" ... I may be wrong, its been a while ...

Just to throw a different perspective on the proverbial fire...

I actually lowered my body on the frame. It all started when I installed steel tube fenders welded to my sliders and frame a few years back. The tolerance between the fixed tube steel and the inherent roll of the body on the rubber mounts was misjudged and I wound up rolling the fenders into the tube steel. To counteract the underestimated body roll, I took my body mount bolts out, cut the steel spacer sleeves down by .75" and then put the sleeves back inside the rubber mounts. This allowed be to tighten the bolts down an extra .75" to decrease the amount of roll which in turn kept the fenders from contacting the steel tubes.

I run KM2's in 315/75/16 and depending on how good my alignment guy did, I rarely rub. But sometimes I do, especially at full steering lock and leaning into my turn (weight shifted onto that wheel).

Just to throw a different perspective on the proverbial fire...

I actually lowered my body on the frame. It all started when I installed steel tube fenders welded to my sliders and frame a few years back. The tolerance between the fixed tube steel and the inherent roll of the body on the rubber mounts was misjudged and I wound up rolling the fenders into the tube steel. To counteract the underestimated body roll, I took my body mount bolts out, cut the steel spacer sleeves down by .75" and then put the sleeves back inside the rubber mounts. This allowed be to tighten the bolts down an extra .75" to decrease the amount of roll which in turn kept the fenders from contacting the steel tubes.

I run KM2's in 315/75/16 and depending on how good my alignment guy did, I rarely rub. But sometimes I do, especially at full steering lock and leaning into my turn (weight shifted onto that wheel).
Bandi makes 1/2 inch and 1" body lifts for the Fj. He also does installs. He is located in brick nj.

There is nothing wrong with body lifts on the FJC. They are just mildly pointless. Sure you can help get a touch of extra clearance to the body and fenders, but there are still the actual body mounts on the frame that are really in the way of anything more than a 35, ect.

I threw the Bandi 1/2" on for fun. Piece of cake and nothing else to change. Anymore and there still isnt much. Adjust the fan shroud, extend the steering linkage, pretty much good to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom