Wanted FJ/BJ/HJ 60 in OR/WA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looking for a '60. Currently in Portland, but willing to drive for the right truck (heck, I can make a trip up to BC if I could find what I want up there).

Needs:
AC (no AC is a deal breaker - the wife and I are pansies)
4x4
Diesel (HJ preferred over BJ)

Wants:
Manual (H55F preferred)
Body/Frame in decent-good shape (mechanical problems are easier for me to deal with than metal problems)

I'm not looking for anything to tear up a trail with. This will be a daily driver + trips up in the mountains. Lifts, winches, etc. won't get a premium from me. 'Expedition' additions (things that will make my life easier when camping) will.

Just trying to be open and honest.

Last edited:
After looking at all the things we want...we limited ourselves to an HJ60 really.

Definitely willing to drive up to WA/Lower BC if we find the right vehicle.

Last edited:
Hoping to find something I don't need to immediately replace the frame. Of course the list of HJ60's in the US is probably pretty short...

Hoping to find something I don't need to immediately replace the frame. Of course the list of HJ60's in the US is probably pretty short...

At least you are close to B.C. Wish when I was in college back there I would have taken advantage of that. Make a snowboard trip and come back with a diesel land cruiser :eek:.

You will find something. With the diesel craze that has been in Portland the past decade they are sitting in fields and garages all over the place. Probably better off with a MB diesel and a Lukes 4x4 swap. The MB diesels are a dime a dozen in Portland. I bet the most per capita than anywhere else in the country.

At least you are close to B.C. Wish when I was in college back there I would have taken advantage of that. Make a snowboard trip and come back with a diesel land cruiser :eek:.

You will find something. With the diesel craze that has been in Portland the past decade they are sitting in fields and garages all over the place. Probably better off with a MB diesel and a Lukes 4x4 swap. The MB diesels are a dime a dozen in Portland. I bet the most per capita than anywhere else in the country.

I'm hoping for the Skiing in Whistler => Diesel LC combo :clap:

I'm unsure about the MB diesels as far as power goes for towing a small trailer up the mountains, which we will be doing on occasion. But its worth looking into if I can find the right FJ60 to start with.

I'm hoping for the Skiing in Whistler => Diesel LC combo :clap:

I'm unsure about the MB diesels as far as power goes for towing a small trailer up the mountains, which we will be doing on occasion. But its worth looking into if I can find the right FJ60 to start with.

Yeah pulling a small trailer might be a PIA especially up the mountains but it will do it. The 5 Cylinder Turbo models are actually rated for more horspeower than the HJ60. Not sure on torque though. Considering the displacement of the HJ I'm sure it might win in that department but it would be very close. I couldn't find a graph for the HP curve but I'm sure the HP is higher up in the band for the OM 617 than it is for the HJ.

At 1K for the kit it is cheaper than paying the premium the Kanucks seem to ask on all of their rigs in decent shape. Not to mention you can find something down here with a bad engine and or tranny for a steal that isn't rusted thru in every location. But then again if you had to pay someone to do the work it could ad up quick and depending on what parts you added with it.

I have a buddy down there in Portland who has juiced up his OM617 so if you needed more power it could be done. That with a NV4500 and the right gears I'm sure you would find towing up the mountain and long distance hauls to be no problem.

Just another option I was throwing out there for you. I think there is more discussion on this in the diesel part of the forum.

For instance. A quick search in your area and inundated with MB diesels and some decent 60/62 series (I prefer the 62). Parts are uber easy to get and cheap for the engine as well.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/1901971396.html
http://portland.craigslist.org/yam/cto/1904593809.html
http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/cto/1903970964.html
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/1908419872.html

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom