FJ 60 potential buyer value question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I got a couple cruisers, not too many. I kept seeing this 60 series around town and thought that’s a nice looking 60. Fast forward 6years, I go to a garage sale and there it is. Chat owner up , he’s second owner it’s got low miles and NFS. Few years later I knock on his door and we chat again. He puts a price on it 30k. Just not in the market for another landcruiser for 30k.
Anyway it’s now 2 years after the 30k, which I couldn’t/ wouldn’t/ didn’t seem reasonable to me paying.
He texted me yesterday, today I went and actually looked at it crawled under it checked it out. When I was done I asked what he thought he wanted for it now. Thinking less than 30k, because well 30k today is “different” than 30k a couple years ago.

What would you expect for a 30k FJ60? is 88,000 miles enough upside to justify the price. It’s had very limited maintenance, has a pretty leaky T-case needs knuckle rebuild, AC doesn’t work, lots of cosmetic issues. Drivers seat is toast which seems odd with low miles.

Drivers door has quite a bit of rust in my opinion,
I really expected him to say something along the lines of 28 and maybe settle at 23-25.
Will all the cosmetic issues and deferred maintenance I can’t see the value.

Opinion’s please

FF15BC95-C962-4413-9C96-999B6BC5DD64.jpeg

9D3ED0E5-68C7-44E0-A471-3F2725DF02C0.jpeg

9E79E944-42D7-4D75-8055-2C16D56D229B.jpeg

As mentioned, low miles doesn't automatically equal high price. That looks neglected. Yes the low miles are a nice talking point but $30k would buy you a WAY nicer rig.

Also, given the inspection sticker is from 2018, does that mean it hasn't been registered/driven in 6 years? That comes with a whole host of other potential lurking issues.

shameless plug, but my 60 is much nicer than that and is also for sale. I am open to negotiations on price.

@Jason YY Agree with the above assessment of mileage and dormancy. I bought a 60 with 124,000 miles on the clock that had been sitting garaged for four years. I trailered it home and guess what? It had 2 quarts of oil in it instead of 8. Lots of fluid, vacuum, and exhaust leaks from it sitting around too. It's had issues on and off, and I finally started the process of rebuilding a spare motor last week. The truck you posted looks fairly decent, but $30k is the "I saw online that these are going for big money now" price. It doesn't seem like it's a price that reflects what it actually is or any research on market comps, more like a stab in the dark or wishful thinking. They certainly spent zero time prepping the thing in order to ask top dollar.

My best guess: If I were in the market I would buy this thing for $4-7k, and it would probably sell at $8-12k to somebody who highly values an odometer reading. But it's got rust starting on the doors, has gotten wet inside, needs the old saggy suspension replaced (a big job), etc, etc. The one thing it has going for it is very little visible body rust - that's the only thing attractive about it to me personally.

Does it even run as it sits?

Thank you for the feedback, I live very close to it was able to walk over and look at it.
It was a really big disappointment, I know the miles were really low, had never actually been inside it or looked under it.
It was pretty had to look at the Classiccars.com graph he was holding up as comps. He wasn’t asking 30k the expectation was that it was worth more than 30k based on it was 2 years later.
Two years ago he valued it at 30k, now he wouldn’t price it just expected an offer over 30k based on the comps (from Classiccars.com sold value graph)

Oh it runs and drives very nice, smooth compared to my 75 diesel.

sounds like, he doesn't really want to sell it but if it sells for 30K he'd take it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom