First Timer - '88 FJ62 Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone!

My name is Mike, and I've just purchased my first FJ (and honestly, first off-road/expedition type of vehicle... I come from the car world) and I couldn't be more excited about it.

I figured I'd make a thread as a place to both share and document my progress and ownership.

Without further rambling: my '88 FJ62.

16848737245_503cbf99b4_o.jpg

I can't say I'm very knowledgable when it comes to these trucks. I've learned a bit here and there, read through the FAQ, and have down my own googling to make sure I'm in a position to purchase one, but past that, there's a lot to learn about their intricacies.

I think I've purchased a relatively sound truck, although I'm still trying to assess if I over-paid for it. $3700 brought her home (Orange County, SoCal), and I've put in a few afternoons of work cleaning it out, fixing lots of little things, removing tint, and other simple tasks.

16641430017_367f79dbd4_o.jpg

It has 270,000 miles on the odometer, which no longer works, so it's anyone's guess as to how many miles it really has. But overall, it's a good starting platform, at least for my first FJ. The body is straight, and the undercarriage is perfect. The truck has some pretty serious rust at the top of the windshield, but I haven't been able to find anywhere else (floor boards, body mounts, rockers, fenders, rain rails, etc) so despite that, I bought it. I do intend on cutting the rust out, but it'll be a very intense project that I'm going to push back for now.

16661375730_d0f918d85b_o.jpg

The first change I've made is a new set of tires - the 245/75/16s that were on it were worn out and cupped, so I called my friends at Nitto for a set of Tera Grapplers. I went with 285/75s, which are bigger than I meant to order, but I think I'm happy in the end. If anything, it's an excuse to lift the truck slightly, and replace some worn suspension components while I'm in there.

16847690661_d994018e90_o.jpg

The interior is probably the truck's worst part. While everything is there and works, it's both rough and dirty. The driver's seat is torn, but everything else is in decent condition - mostly dirty. Stains on all of the seats, and the headliner is surprisingly dirty as well. The carpet in the back is nearly black, but overtime I'll piece together some nicer bits; however, I don't want a truck that is too lean to use. The rear seat came with a camo seat covert that was removed in short order.

16847599012_f6dcef8c07_o.jpg

In all, I couldn't be happier with the truck and the purchase. I've had a lot of fun in the few days I've owned it, and I'm anxious to do a bit more maintenance and to start exploring.
Next on the list is to get rid of the awful wheels, and potentially a slight lift and overhaul of the suspension.

Nice rig. Welcome to the fever.

Hey mike! Welcome and you have just connected with the best group of people who can answer any question . Whatever you encounter someone here has been down that road before you. Make sure to tell your wife the dishwasher has been retasked to a parts washer, a much more noble task!

Just ordered a set of Terra grapples myself and some fnwheel countersteer x 17s.

Nice looking rig! Congratulations and welcome. I do have one comment, and it most likely is just me, but I wouldn't refer to your "new" 62 as a FJ. Toyota ruined it for me by coming out with the FJ Cruiser. While I have nothing against the rig, IMHO, it is neither a FJ or a Cruiser. But now I think of one of those rigs when someone says FJ. Me, I refer to mine as a FJ60, 60 series, or just 60. Again, my stupid opinion and welcome to the world of Land Cruisers!

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. This definitely seems like a helpful and knowledgable community. I'm sure I'll have a slew of questions once I really get going on this thing.

Nice truck and awesome photos.

I am a bit fan of oem wheels, and I think a set of 70 series steel wheels would look great on your truck, this is what they look like:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...Cruiser-70-series-steel-wheels-on-2001-Tacoma

Thanks for the link - I like those as well. Definitely a top contender.

In fact, that does give me one question for you guys. Is there any kind of online parts database for these trucks?
In the BMW world, we use a site called realoem.com, which if you browse around for a moment, you'll find catalogues every part schematic for them, as well as part numbers, part pricing, and other tidbits.

Here's an example or two from the site:
6xMo44l.png

bk5rSOP.png

Essentially, it's every component that makes up the cars. It shows what's available (not always up to date, but usually works) directly from the manufacturer still, and what's NLA. Does something like this exist for our trucks? It's not necessary, but often very helpful.

Also, I'm on the hunt for a good-condition factory front grille with chrome, as opposed to the black-out look, if anyone has one, or if they're still available.

Thanks!

There is but I can't remember offhand Anamaya.com maybe. Specter off road has a nice online catalog to show parts relationship. I just usually shoot Beno or CDan a PM if I have a parts question. They are the parts guru's

Look's nice in the photos! I've always been a fan of that color.
The main difference between Toyota and BMW is that BMW has made a big effort to keep their vintage/historic cars on the road. It's been a while since my last BMW but I remember them announcing a supply line of new parts for 2002's, coupes, etc. Not enough to build a car from scratch but better than anything Toyota has done IIRC.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. This definitely seems like a helpful and knowledgable community. I'm sure I'll have a slew of questions once I really get going on this thing.

Thanks for the link - I like those as well. Definitely a top contender.

In fact, that does give me one question for you guys. Is there any kind of online parts database for these trucks?
In the BMW world, we use a site called realoem.com, which if you browse around for a moment, you'll find catalogues every part schematic for them, as well as part numbers, part pricing, and other tidbits.

Here's an example or two from the site:
6xMo44l.png

bk5rSOP.png

Essentially, it's every component that makes up the cars. It shows what's available (not always up to date, but usually works) directly from the manufacturer still, and what's NLA. Does something like this exist for our trucks? It's not necessary, but often very helpful.

Also, I'm on the hunt for a good-condition factory front grille with chrome, as opposed to the black-out look, if anyone has one, or if they're still available.

Thanks!

www.toyodiy.com
I'm not sure what the rules are to become a full member

Thanks for the replies, guys. Helpful info!
I have an extra odometer and a grill with a crack in it.
-Sacramento CA
PM me.

I'll be sending you a PM tonight or tomorrow, hopefully. Thank you.

Look's nice in the photos! I've always been a fan of that color.
The main difference between Toyota and BMW is that BMW has made a big effort to keep their vintage/historic cars on the road. It's been a while since my last BMW but I remember them announcing a supply line of new parts for 2002's, coupes, etc. Not enough to build a car from scratch but better than anything Toyota has done IIRC.

Thank you for the kind words. BMW has definitely made a good effort (although not the best in the industry) towards keeping the classics on the road. Their system is improving over time as more and more old parts go back in to production.

What are the best parts/sites/brands to look for when it comes to parts for 62s? Brands/names to stay away from?
I'm a fan of quality and I'd rather spend more on parts to do it right the first time (and hopefully only once!)

One reco is get the rust taken care of now....don't put it off. You want to put it to bed asap....its always worse than it looks. Check out by the wheel wells, a pillar. Look inside the doors, rear hatch, etc.

Nice rig.

One reco is get the rust taken care of now....don't put it off. You want to put it to bed asap....its always worse than it looks. Check out by the wheel wells, a pillar. Look inside the doors, rear hatch, etc.

Nice rig.

I've given the truck a full review and there's no rust anywhere else - it's all isolated to the top of the front windshield.
As much as I'd like to take care of it now, to fix it right will require buying a parts truck and sectioning in fresh a-pillars, unless that sheet metal is available.
Either way, it's going to be a massive undertaking that I want to do correctly - which means cutting out every bit of the infected metal and replacing it with good stuff.

I 've accumulated a large list of suppliers and what not, though I've only had to purchase a few things (fingers crossed) so far. In no particular order: Cruiser Outfitters (TREs), JToutfitters.com (side marker light/lens), Specter Off-Road "SOR" (water pump/hoses/hose clamps), Boostcontroller.com (new vac. hose), Toyota Parts Overstock (new air intake hose). Some of the common ones you'll see mentioned are "Beno" (Mud member)-OEM Toyota Parts, 4plusProducts, Wagongear, Cruiser Outfitters, ARB. There are so many others. I've found it best to search topics and see where others have bought from. Bookmarking and watching treads, in no time you'll know where to go for what you need. Assuming it's still available...

Thanks for the info, Sbelinge. Much appreciated.

I took the 62 for a shake-down run this weekend, its first outing off-road (at least during my ownership.) A friend of mine with an J100 joined me in the climb to Santiago Peak, which I am confident a few of you are familiar with. It was a killer time, and the truck did astoundingly well.

land-cruiser-pair.jpg

FJ62-Land-Cruiser-1988-trails-overlanding-socal.jpg

FJ62-Land-Cruiser-1988-socal-santiago-peak.jpg

FJ62-Land-Cruiser-1988-articulation-off-road-rocks.jpg

FJ62-Land-Cruiser-1988-climb-hill-truck-wagon.jpg

land-cruisers-santiago-peak-trails.jpg

santiago-peak-march-2015-views-trees.jpg

emily-toyota-land-cruiser-1988-fj60-fj62.jpg

FJ62-Land-Cruiser-1988-santiago-peak-top-lookout-view.jpg

FJ62-Land-Cruiser-1988-woods-trail-camping.jpg

santiago-peak-mountains-hills-trees-forest-state-park.jpg

1988-toyota-land-cruiser-FJ62-trail-mountains-pass.jpg

1988-toyota-land-cruiser-FJ62-overlanding.jpg

1988-toyota-land-cruiser-FJ62-california-sunset-santiago.jpg

I really want to tackle a suspension overhaul, as it was obvious the truck needs it after this trip.
As said before, I'm far more familiar with road car running independent suspension front and rear, so pardon me if this is a silly question:

What's the best route to take with suspension? I noticed that the truck loves to shake itself to death over the rocky paths, whereas the J100 could fly down the trails. I don't mind taking things slow, but I'd love to smooth out the ride over some of the more trivial terrain. Will a suspension overhaul take care of this? I was eyeing the OME Dakar setup - or should I be looking elsewhere?

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom