First Timer - '88 FJ62 Build Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The odometer issue is probably a bad speedometer cable. Not the odometer itself. Cruiserparts.net sells used ones for $40.

Regarding lighting; consider upgrading your headlights before going nuts on light bars etc. ARB, Hella, and other manufacturers make glass lenses which will accept blulbs of your choice instead of being stuck with horrible sealed beams.

Get a transmission cooler on that A440F auto trans! A gauge too.

The ARB bumper is an excellent choice. You can fit a warn M12000 in there with a very slight trim.

How is the factory trans cooler? Worth upgrading to a bigger, better unit?
Thanks for all of the tips. I got a very friendly deal on a Superwinch, we'll see how it does.

How is the factory trans cooler? Worth upgrading to a bigger, better unit?
Thanks for all of the tips. I got a very friendly deal on a Superwinch, we'll see how it does.

You'll get plenty of opinions on both sides. My 89 runs on 33's and is not re-geared, so I decided to install a Hayden 679 on my truck. It was a cheap and easy install and there are good write ups here how to do it. Given that heat is such a major culprit in the A440 having issues, it was an easy decision for me.

Hey Mike - How are those 33s running? Did you ever regear? I'm debating between 33's and 31's but don't have the cash right now to regear. I did just buy a Hayden 679 aux transmission cooler to install this weekend. Also did you ever figure out that lean issue?

The 33s are great, and no, I'm running stock gears. I'm not quite sure what the fuss is about, as I have no problems or qualms at all with this setup, and could see 35s on stock gears being completely doable.

This past weekend, some friends and I took our FJ62s out to the Pinto Mountains, just outside of Joshua Tree National Park. A friend recommended an area for us to explore, with a bunch of old gold mines and buildings (or what's left of them) from the 1890s-1930s. We began our trip entering the park from the start of Berdoo Trial, and then took Old Dale up across the desert and into the hills.
It was a fantastic weekend spent camping in the trucks, and I took a hand full of photos and figured I'd share.

The first part of Berdoo was exciting, and interesting. There were several options as far as paths, and we opted for the 'more challenging' side, although none of it was anything wild.

25089614736_7826141a6e_b.jpg

Parts of the old road were still present, which was cool to see, but most of it had degraded into an old dirt/rocky trail.

Once we made it through the mountains and popped out on the other side, we enjoyed the views for a bit.

24748123669_51b26b7b78_b.jpg

We drove through the park, and then up Old Dale, which was mostly just desert, so I didn't take too many pics, as we wanted to get to our camp site, which was about 60 miles total from where we began started.

Our destination was an old, hardly-standing building just outside the old Brooklyn Mine, one of the biggest in the area to explore.

24488990633_bcb8d90aa4_b.jpg

You can see what's left of the building here, where I captured it from the crest of the trail heading in. We set up our trucks around the campfire as the light was beginning to fade. We made one run into the mine before we lost all of our light, although it made no difference, as it's dark inside either way.

24485292224_c7deed7222_b.jpg

24820307950_9581033e1a_b.jpg

24485189214_7a96cbebb6_b.jpg

With about 30 minutes of light left, we returned to the crest of the hill to watch the sun set. We hiked out over a few "peaks" to see the valley, which was a beautiful way to cap the evening.

25089514296_5d0f6663de_b.jpg

24488993313_3f526f1330_b.jpg

Chloe caught a few minutes of sleep while we watched the sun drop behind the distant mountains.

25115777615_6eb1465c31_b.jpg

We went back down to our camp site, enjoyed dinner and star-gazed a bit before calling it a night. Early the next morning, we cooked up sausage and eggs, and then departed down another path, unaware of where it'd take us (luckily, it lead out.) It was tougher than the other trails in, although nothing too intense - very enjoyable overall.

24488999073_79ec180702_b.jpg

25089453126_0833bbeae1_b.jpg

24997754102_34e94085e4_b.jpg

Overall, it was a great trip and I'm anxious to head back out there and do some more exploration. We went through a couple more mines, and checked out a few more sites on our way out on Sunday. The truck did great, and the added tire size and lift was clearly helpful. Josh's stock FJ62 suffered a few hits and snags on rocks, while I encountered no problems.

I've got my new wheels just about ready to go on. I spent a while pushing them off, but now the centers are refinished and the lips are at the polisher getting cleaned up. I'm hoping to do lockers and gears soon, but we'll see. I did, however, just put in an order with Jason at Trail Tailor for a dual swing out rear bumper. I'm excited to say the least.

The only update on the truck since my last post was the installation of my winch, but I'll chime in soon with more.

Last edited:
The 33s are great, and no, I'm running stock gears. I'm not quite sure what the fuss is about, as I have no problems or qualms at all with this setup, and could see 35s on stock gears being completely doable.

Also I just put on some new 285 75r16s. I was hesitant since many in this forum swear that anything more than 31 will turn your cruiser into a dog (not that it already isn't). Yes, I can feel a difference but it's not worth regearing for me at this point. I did have to shave a bit off the tie rods to fit my rims but other than that I'm pleased with the larger setup. Looking forward to seeing how your wheels turned out.

Excellent thread! Love the photos

Thank you!

Also I just put on some new 285 75r16s. I was hesitant since many in this forum swear that anything more than 31 will turn your cruiser into a dog (not that it already isn't). Yes, I can feel a difference but it's not worth regearing for me at this point. I did have to shave a bit off the tie rods to fit my rims but other than that I'm pleased with the larger setup. Looking forward to seeing how your wheels turned out.

Hopefully next weekend, the halves should be done at the polisher soon.
What lift are you running? And are you still running your sway bars?

I finally finished up my wheel build. The centers are brushed and cleared, with black windows and pockets. I had the lips polished, and I cleaned the original SSR hardware. I'm very happy with the results. I know the wheels won't be everyone's cup of tea, but I'm confident a few opinions will change for the better after seeing them on the truck.

Sorry for the cell phone photos!

24991317873_7c42c75c7a_b.jpg

25525373141_c2f7f3d7e1_b.jpg

Thanks! I found them on Yahoo Auctions Japan, by searching the truck's bolt pattern. I had Apartment9 Wheels in LA import them for me.

The bumper from Jason is off at the powder coater, and I'm anxiously awaiting its return!

I got some new tires mounted on the wheels. 285/75/16 Nitto Trail Grapplers on 8" wide wheels.
They radically change the look of the truck and I couldn't be happier. The Terra Grapplers always felt a little "all season" despite they're fantastic capabilities. Now the truck is starting to look the way I have been imagining. The tires are definitely louder on the freeway, but nothing invasive.

26006456071_63b6460577_o.jpg

@MBurroughs rig was stolen last night!!! Get the word out here in SoCal.

‼️‼️STOLEN ‼️‼️ PLEASE HELP‼️ STOLEN FROM TUSTIN, ORANGE COUNTY CA
1988 Toyota Land Cruiser, TN LICENSE PLT: 58367AA - Grey/Blue in color, 16" 3 spoke wheels, ARB front bumper, custom swing out rear bumper just installed.
Call me at 816 585 7700 or the POLICE if you have any leads! please help spread the word!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom