finally finished 95 fzj80 on 38s whata you think (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
landcruiser 064.jpg

landcruiser 063.jpg

landcruiser 067.jpg So I finally finished my 80 project( well sorta) been working on it since june.Heres list of mods did all work myself. Custom bumpers and sliders powdercoated silvervane,365 km2s on 10 inch wheels,winch,3inch body lift 2inch spacer front one inch rear, Procomp shocks (dont like way to soft stock was much better),7 pin mod, rear locker pin 15 mod ( can lock any time), 5.29 nitro gears,fog light switch and high beam mod,part time 4x4 asin hubs, custom mud flaps intergraded into sliders and on and on. So what do you think any sugestions.
landcruiser 064.jpg
landcruiser 063.jpg
landcruiser 067.jpg

Last edited:
have you flexed it yet? looks like you'd have to lose all up-travel to avoid damage to the body

Great job, looks awesome. Very nice bumper work! I'd add a couple inches more lift though it if were me. :)

Yes no rubing on front barely rubs inner lower back (adout an inch on rear fender flare) could easily be trimmed have marked when fully flexed but just have not got to it yet. I took alot of time making the tires fit with as little suspension lift as possible. Did move front fender flare back about an inch inch1/2 by trimming fender with flare removed the cheating back as much as possibl without being noticed. Could do same with rear if you wanted bigger tires this is as much tire as will fit in rear without widening rear fender wells. Rubber fender flare extentions make it look couple inches lower than it is just couldnt stand all the mud throwing all over sides wish Id went with 8" wheel so I wouldnt have to run them.

Last edited:
but your only lift is spacers and body, no lift springs? also, did you do a full part time kit, or just the hubs? if you did the full, homegrown or a kit? last question, how do the wide tires handle? they look like about a 14.5. i like the look of it all except the width, but it would depend on handling.

Didnt see any need for springs what would be the point for only one inch on rear altough might cure the too soft ride that I now have after procomp shocks. And did part time 4x4 by welding trans case diff. Tires handle great for size only thing is suttle changes or bumps on highways on one side kind of makes it drift toward other side. Good enough Im planning 8 hour hunting trip to ilinois next week in it and have new truck in driveway just havent drove enough to be really confident in it. One thing I should ad is I live in north louisianna 20mi from arkansas line no rocks here just mud so I use differently than rock crawlers.

Looks good man, purpose built, if it works for what you need it for then its perfect.

No its 2wd until you lock hubs and engauge center diff lock.By suttle I mean barely noticable not that its swaping lanes. Now I would not drive this 35,000 mi a year but drives as good as anything Ive road in or drove with 38s on it. Rides similar to dodge 2500 4x4 just softer. My brother has 2008 and you notice suttle changes in highway with it where as my chevy trucks are not hardly even noticable. Ive had it up to 90mph with no problems cruise at 75 great especialy since I cured slight rear drive shaft vibe issue.

Last edited:
No its 2wd until you lock hubs and engauge center diff lock.

I thought the trans case diff was another name for the center diff.

I'm confused now, I clearly need to read the manual more :D

Nice looking truck though.

You can do a search on here for part time 4x4 and it will show you how it works.

Turned out great! Looks terrific! Should work great in Louisiana...nice wide tires.

Looks good. I wished all 80series should had came with 38s from the factory with 39s to 44s as an option. :D

One thing I should ad is I live in north louisianna 20mi from arkansas line no rocks here just mud so I use differently than rock crawlers.

Drive 3 hours north to hot springs for one of the biggest offroad parks in the south east, Superlift. Plenty of rocks there. It's not moab, but they have rocks. :)

Looks like an artic truck with those wide tires!

Other than the tube bumpers..... its cool

Funny tube bumpers are what I get the most comments on. I guess to each his on. Layonnn have been thinking about riding up and checking out hot springs just havent got around to it acually Bret owner of Superlift and Gary owner os Stealth offroad helped me out with sponcership on my mud race truck great guys.

Last edited:
I like the look, and I like the tube bumpers, front and back, but especially the front.

I would have gone w/ a 3-4" suspension lift rather than a 1" suspension lift and 3" body lift. Wondering if that's how you're able to fit the 38's though when I'm rubbing on 37's w/ a 3" bumpstop drop. I'm 4-5" on suspension (J's) and 1" body. Just did the math on 365's, and it comes up 37.5", so you're probably closer to 37" true tire size. You're probably not getting the axle twist I am w/ long travel shocks either.

I like the big fat Icelandic look. Love to see some flex pics with the tires tucked and some good muddy shots!

Get some springs for sure. You've lifted the truck 4" and are still on soft, possibly worn out (mileage?) stock springs. Even though it's body lift, it still gives the truck more leverage for body roll, which you're likely feeling as part of the softness. The other cure, as cheap as pro-comps are, is add another one and dual shock it. You have alot of unsprung weight with that size tire and are probably asking more than the pro-comps can provide - most that have used them like them on 80's. I've only used them on a 40 with good results, but I didn't have 1/2 the unsprung weight you're sporting.

Keep it up and more pics!!!

Probably right about spring being too soft. I was looking at slee 4" front and js on rear just tring to avoid all the suspention problems that usually come with suspention lifts that high and really dont want it that high.Acualy ive got a touch over 5' on front and 4" on rear right now. I did take front flares off trimmed fender back about 1.5 inchs and cheated rear of fender flare back.And tires do measure 37.5 about identical to a 38.5 bogger on my buddies jeep. The procomp shocks definatly made it softer than the stock shocks sways more now.Really hate to mess with it rides and drves great just a little on the soft side is only reason I thought about springs but hate to buy new springs and not go with more lift and it just fits in carport now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom