Filler in panel gaps? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Desk Jockey

SILVER Star
Threads
Merry Christmas all!
I am in the process of rebuilding my 1979 ‘40, and am getting ready to start welding/repairing the tub and body parts. Since having the original paint blasted off, I have found this tan bead of filler between panels and joints all over the tub. It’s semi-flexible but pretty crusty being 45 years old…
What is this stuff and what is its purpose?
Thanks in advance for any insights.

IMG_4307.jpeg

IMG_4305.jpeg

IMG_4311.jpeg

Yes, seam sealer. You can buy it in caulking-type tubes at autobody supply stores. You'll want to remove the old stuff and re-apply it to all seams before you go to repaint your tub. It's really messy stuff, so lay down a strip of masking tape on either side of the seam you're re-sealing. Smooth with a gloved finger, remove tape. Once dry it can be painted.

Yes, seam sealer. You can buy it in caulking-type tubes at autobody supply stores. You'll want to remove the old stuff and re-apply it to all seams before you go to repaint your tub. It's really messy stuff, so lay down a strip of masking tape on either side of the seam you're re-sealing. Smooth with a gloved finger, remove tape. Once dry it can be painted.
Fantastic. Many thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom