Exhaust Leak question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
IMG_1011.jpeg

Noticed an exhaust leak and got under the LC and found this. I’ve had a rough idle as well and an intermittent CEL. Is the rubber boot necessary or can I just have a shop cut and weld new pipe in?

Last edited:
View attachment 3594821

Noticed an exhaust leak and got under the LC and found this. I’ve had a rough idle as well and an intermittent CEL. Is the rubber boot necessary or can I just have a shop cut and weld new pipe in?

That looks like the cross member pipe going from driver side over to muffler.
If its not welded then you can buy a new aftermarket pipe for $75. I used walker. Add bolts and flanges.
I hate exhaust shops that weld crap together. Bolts better IMO.
Yours looks bolted

An exhaust shop should be able to cut out the broken flex joint (which is metal rather than being a rubber boot, even though it does look like rubber in the photo) and weld a new one in cheaply and easily. The repair should be $100-300 (depending on where you are located) and maybe an hour of work tops. The flex joint is probably there for a reason (to allow movement in the exhaust), so I'd suggest keeping it rather than welding in a rigid piece of pipe.

You should get it fixed ASAP as a large, under-vehicle leak like that can result in carbon monoxide wafting into the cabin. It can also "cook" the underside of the vehicle (floorpan, transfer case, U-joints, wiring, brake lines) with heat that those components aren't meant to see. I'd drive it no farther than the exhaust shop.

Reactions: GTV
When you read the DTC which ones did you get?
By the time I got my hands on a code reader the CEL had went away.

I googled around and it seems the piece is called an intermediate exhaust pipe. I will probably get a new one altogether since the rest of the pipe doesn’t look too great. Removing the old one in a clean manner is definitely gonna be a challenge

Would this one be okay for my 1999?

A lot cheaper than the other options. I don’t believe it comes with the gaskets however.

Would this one be okay for my 1999?

A lot cheaper than the other options. I don’t believe it comes with the gaskets however.
I am betting that is made of mild steel and will probably rust out again in a few years. The OEM exhaust system is stainless (probably 409). I'd only replace it with 304 or 409 stainless pieces, otherwise you'll be stuck having to do the job again pretty quickly.

and tomorrow this will be more expensive, lol.
YEN is still over 150 though (good), amex paypal rate dependent.
1711887096801.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom