Builds Euro 1HD-FT Turbo Diesel/H151F 5 Speed Manual LHD 96' USA Swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

One last comment on the overdrive gears: wow. Best thing I've done to my diesel 80 in years. I like to drive 75-80 mph but the high rpm was driving me banana sandwich. Now I'm at 2700 at 80mph (255 tires). The noise level of the engine is 30% lower. Zero gear whine. First gear is a tad high but manageable. A h150 would make it perfect...

One last comment on the overdrive gears: wow. Best thing I've done to my diesel 80 in years. I like to drive 75-80 mph but the high rpm was driving me banana sandwich. Now I'm at 2700 at 80mph (255 tires). The noise level of the engine is 30% lower. Zero gear whine. First gear is a tad high but manageable. A h150 would make it perfect...
Curious about a price and where/who you sourced the parts from

Check with Tor @ Torfab in WA state. Last I knew he had several in the shop

Quick update regarding the H151F: Although it's never had any grinding issues or synchro problems, the 1st, 2nd, 3rd shifts have always been pretty slow and felt "stiff". I ran straight 75-90 through it and a mix of 75-90 and Lucas Oil Stabilizer. Both were about the same, still way to slow and stiff even with a warmed up tranny. Last week or so I replaced the fluid with Redline 75-90 full synthetic
redline.jpg

The difference in shifting was IMMEDIATE. All the shifts are very, very smooth now even when cold and I'm amazed that a switch to a different product could make so much of a difference. Although it runs about $60 (US) to a gallon, I'll likely start running this in every Toyota transmission I currently own. If you're having shifting issues, give it a shot

Redline is good stuff. I used the same product in the AX-15 that was in my Jeep and noticed a similar difference.

Quick update regarding the H151F: Although it's never had any grinding issues or synchro problems, the 1st, 2nd, 3rd shifts have always been pretty slow and felt "stiff". I ran straight 75-90 through it and a mix of 75-90 and Lucas Oil Stabilizer. Both were about the same, still way to slow and stiff even with a warmed up tranny. Last week or so I replaced the fluid with Redline 75-90 full synthetic
View attachment 1300330

The difference in shifting was IMMEDIATE. All the shifts are very, very smooth now even when cold and I'm amazed that a switch to a different product could make so much of a difference. Although it runs about $60 (US) to a gallon, I'll likely start running this in every Toyota transmission I currently own. If you're having shifting issues, give it a shot

Very cool! I will have to do this. My H151F from Garry is VERY notchy. It doesn't want to engage into 2nd when cold. However after driving for a while it is very smooth. I have heard this is just an inherent design of the trans. Still thinking about buying new from Partsouq if mine dies, especially with all the gear noise going on...

View attachment 1300330

Good results running Redline in an H55F as well

gb

I run Synchromesh (GM/AC Delco product) and it is as clear as the day I put it in when I change it. No notchy or dodgy shifting. The wise man that helped me immensely with my swap suggested using this and I haven't looked back since. Good stuff and works extremely well.

It is a bit less $$$-wise than what you are using Ross but not by much. I think this stuff is about $15/Qt IIRC.

Ross-

I run Synchromesh (GM/AC Delco product) and it is as clear as the day I put it in when I change it. No notchy or dodgy shifting. The wise man that helped me immensely with my swap suggested using this and I haven't looked back since. Good stuff and works extremely well.

It is a bit less $$$-wise than what you are using Ross but not by much. I think this stuff is about $15/Qt IIRC.

Ross-
The Synchromesh was going to be my next try if the Redline didn't work out. I did quite a bit of research online and people say very good things about both products. I believe you can only purchase the Synchromesh at a GM dealer though

It used to be dealer only but I got mine from Advance Auto Parts last time I did a drain and refill. It is now called "AC Delco Synchromesh" instead of GM or something close to that.

Same stuff different bottle. And cheaper, but not by a whole lot.

Progress today! Need to have the truck ready in about three weeks, so having to turn up the tempo.

Dom wrapped up the 1/2" stainless fuel line, so the trans and t case could go in to the truck. Installed the shifters and console. Some body sealant for good measure with my adapter plate.

full

full

full

full

full

IPOR Belly Pan modified 70mm by moving the plates, re-welding, piloting a few new holes, and trimming off the excess so that everything will clear the sliders, etc. It turned out solid and better than our original plan

full

full

Heater valve plumbing

full

The list is getting shorter and shorter.

Lookin' great Steve!!

The IPOR skid came out effing GREAT!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom