Builds Euro 1HD-FT Turbo Diesel/H151F 5 Speed Manual LHD 96' USA Swap (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I believe the title says it, I'm going to begin a 24 valve 1HD-FT turbo diesel and matching 5 speed manual transmission swap into a USA model 1996 FZJ80 truck.

A little background first: I've owned the 96' FZJ80 since January/2014 and it's been sitting in my shop ever since while I've waited/scrounged parts from all over the world. It's a completely factory USA model with E-lockers and it came originally with the automatic, computer controlled transmission and gas engine. Prior to buying the vehicle, I drove it roughly 2 miles (blown head gasket/engine firing on 5 cylinders) before the drivetrain was pulled. I towed the truck home minus the engine, transmission and transfer case.

Since then, I've replaced much of the interior and fixed a bunch of the little things that were wrong with it. The engine bay is currently prepped, here's two pics:

IMG_1470.JPG

IMG_1471.JPG

Much credit and thanks should be give to Nick in Canada (gnarlynick2072) who helped source/provide P/N's for a ton of the conversion parts needed for this. His 5 speed H151F swap can be found here: 80 Series H151F 5 Speed Manual Transmission Swap - Includes RHD HDJ81 & LHD FZJ80

The 24 valve 1HD-FT is a European model from the UK specifically. It came equipped with EGR to get these past strict emissions and as far as I can tell, nothing has been tampered with or modified at this point. The H151F is the mate to the engine as the two were pulled from the same donor vehicle. In total, it took nearly 6 months for these to ride the slow boat to the USA and clear customs. If you're thinking about doing a similar swap and you want parts "now" you can forget about it. Nothing happens quickly in customs, besides storage fees adding up......In total, my friend and I imported three 12 valve 1HD-T's and three matching H151F's also, if you're looking for one, send me a PM.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1444072400.157147.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1444072419.373735.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1444072495.146719.jpg

You'll love it. I have the identical drive train, a white US 80 series, 1HDFT, H151F, HF1A, lockers, intercooler, Gturbo, dual tanks. Very fun to drive, fast, 20mpg and goes everywhere.
Have fun!
J
SWEET! If you have the same setup I'll probably be leaning on you for some input along the way. I'm going into this pretty blind in generally and I believe the wiring is going to be the biggest challenge for me

As documented in Nick's 5 speed swap thread, I've already installed the required Toyota clutch master cylinder on the firewall and the associated clutch pedal. The large brake pedal (automatic transmission) was also swapped out for the correct pedal to correlate to the 5 speed. I've done my best to keep everything factory Toyota at this point.

After getting the 24 valve off the trailer/pallet, I washed it and brought it into my shop. The plan is to swap/replace many of the "wear" parts out so this engine is starting fresh. This will include the water pump, thermostat, rear engine main seal, pilot bearing, valve cover gasket and timing belt. One thing I immediately noticed on this engine is that it was never equipped with factory AC, bummer. That, and the engine was clearly exposed to a ton of salt air wherever it was living in England. The crankshaft pulley is so rusty that it will need to be replaced as I don't trust the balance and the threads (to add the correct AC pulley) are TOAST.
IMG_1476.JPG

Getting the crankshaft pulley bolt out is going to scary to say the least but I don't see a way around it. Beside heating and using the 1" drive air impact I have does anyone have any tricks or ideas?

Last edited:
Here's the rear engine main seal and pilot bearing. Rolling the bearing around with finger it felt like it was full of gravel, more worn out parts....
IMG_1466.JPG

IMG_1467.JPG
Pulling the pilot bearing, creatively......

IMG_1468.JPG

Pilot bearing out and main seal housing cleaned up

I popped the timing belt cover off only to find that the PO neglected to install the required gasket around the cover. Pretty darn nasty
IMG_1469.JPG

I also had no idea that it was such a pain to replace the water pump assembly on these engines. I'm used to working on 22RE's and GM Vortec V8's which are fairly straightforward. Oh well, this is the why I'm doing all this work BEFORE it goes in the truck.

I pulled the turbo intake and valve cover gasket this morning. The EGR circuit has really gummed up the intake plenum big time and my plan is to delete the EGR all together. I read several posts which discussed a 3% loss of fuel economy, quicker engine oil fouling and premature turbo failure all do to the extra exhaust contaminates introduced by the EGR circuit. Since emissions is not a big deal where I live, I'm going to have some stainless EGR block off plates made.

The valvetrain looks pretty good, I didn't know that this engine was equipped with factory roller rockers, neat

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1444074485.377160.jpg

Rather embarrassing looking water pump......
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1444074521.763239.jpg

The turbo exhaust dump threaded studs were also pretty toast. LOTS of heat and not a lot of threads left. It required some additional heat to get them out of the manifold and factory Toyota studs will be on the way shortly to replace these.
IMG_1474.JPG
Not much of this seems very interesting to Mira, not even when I'm heating this right next to her bed....
IMG_1475.JPG

The exhaust manifold studs and nuts have also seen better days, the plan is to replace them also. It's cheap insurance but I wasn't planning on having to tear the engine down quite this much.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1444075116.698079.jpg

Getting them out may be interesting...

The water pump is currently off now and the plan is to replace all the front engine seals. I've also been told that replacing the freeze plug just to the right of the water pump is a good idea because this plug tends to corrode badly. Does anyone else have experience with this?
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1444075289.630969.jpg

Last edited:
By the way, this engine has "insulating" foam packed all over it. Does anybody keep this stuff? Mine is pretty gross as it is waterlogged and oil soaked. I'm guessing Toyota did this to cut down on some of the noise from the 24 valve because the 12 valve 1HD-T's don't have any of this crap. Is the consensus just toss it out or what?

Subscribed... Thanks for the nod! :) Hope all the parts work out for ya.

That stuff looks like it is in similar condition to mine when it showed up. Fun fun fun!

Can you post up a photo of the foam insulation, where it's installed?

Subscribed... Thanks for the nod! :) Hope all the parts work out for ya.

That stuff looks like it is in similar condition to mine when it showed up. Fun fun fun!
Lol, yeah. I wish England was less salty, scheesh.

I'm at work now but I'll post up some "foam" pics tomorrow. It's literally all around the engine. It's wedged between the rear of the oil pan and the rear transmission plate, on top of the injectors, between the block and the injector pump, you get the idea....

I ditched the foam, and mine was new (like the engine). It makes no difference, i think.
Make sure to check the water pipe above the waterpump. They corrode and to teplace it you have to pull everything again.
J

Yep, you are correct, that small water tube is on my list of replacement parts

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom