enough talk !!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Expensive experiment....Or just another couple hundred bills for a "fresh" H150f from the pick and pull.;) I am still curious as to what kind of milage you are getting with that engine tranny combo in the 55.
Did you happen to measure how long the engine with the swapper ring and AA housing was? Close to 2F and stock bell housing or quite a bit longer? I'll be using the H55f (Maybe the stock h42 for the moment if $$ is tight after buying the adapters) and I'm hoping I can manage to keep stock drive shafts and tc/tranny position. That would make the swap a bit easier. Thanks again for documenting your work it clears up alot of the details about the project I'm about to start.
:beer:Cheers,
Michael

from the back of the block it is definitely longer, dont have a measurement but i'll take one. say 5" longer is pretty close. if you dont run the engine all the way against the firewall you could prlly keep the tranny/case in the stock locaton. i dont about th H42 though, the engine is a pretty low revver and it will really hold you back on the highway. with the big tires i cruise @ 2500 rpm, i thought about keeping the H42 in but i'm glad i didnt.

Ya the h42 will be slow on the highway but it is a good "place holder" for an h55f in my 87' fj60 and will at least get me rolling for 1500$ less. I've got 3.73's and 33" tires so it should be just like the 1980's 55mph and enjoying the ride....

i had the rear one made (shortended) i do front shafts myself since they dont need to be balanced or anything.

thanks man,,,

writup on my impressions pasted from the diesel thread.

hard to believe but its been almost a month now that i have been driving the cruisuzu (?). i have been commuting to work and running errands and regular everyday driving, took two highway trips to check the longer range ride and drive.
i am thourougly impressed and happy with the swap, i can commute all week on barely a 1/4 tank of fuel, my average combined city/highway mileage has been 24MPG, and performance is waaay better than the 2F. its not a rocket ship or dragster by any means, but i almost never need to give it more than 1/2 throttle to easily keep up with traffic, the 2F was a strong runner but i didnt even bother to try. on a 7% grade climb on the highway i drop into 4th gear and maintain 54mph no problems, this used to be a 3rd gear climb at no better than 40mph tops. just to check speed i ran it up a bit over 80mph, it was fine, no power issues pushing the pig, but i dont like going that fast on 37" tires so i backed off, i cruise around 65-70 just like before but now it gets there much quicker and uses half the fuel.

i notice a vibration at highway speeds that changes with engine speed, may not be anything but i want to investigate it further, its a droning kind of vibration rather than a constant type so it might just be the engine itself ? anyway i'll be looking into it.

so far i am running about 30% soy bio, no noticeable drop in mileage or performance but you can smell the difference, kinda like a radio control airplane.

Rhino, That vibration sounds like bad news for your engine. You better let me take it off your hands. Better yet I'll just trade you rigs.

Seriously for those that won't get a chance to see this thing up close - it is awesome. Better than described. My money tree isn't growing as fast as I need it to otherwise I'd be all over it. :beer:

build sheet? other than what ive posted?

Just wondering about the nickel/dime stuff that seems to add up. Part numbers for the hoses, pyrometer, ......

thanks rage,, ya know my piggy has a price and would be fun for me to build another.

andrew gotcha,,, there really wasnt alot of nickel and dime. one of the reasons i really wanted the isuzu is cause the fuel lines, radiator in/out and pretty much everything else is in real good position.

i'll put together a build list.

i thought i did, maybe not.

4BD1t- isuzu swappers kit- AA bellhousing and clutch- R150- marlin 4.7- 4 spd t-case.
stock isuzu motor mounts, on home made frame mounts
stock toyota mini tranny mount, on home made frame mount
custom drive shafts
using the isuzu steering pump and resivor bottle with a custom pressure line going to a 60 box.
using the isuzu alternator with vacuum pump
napa fuel filter/water separator near the fuel tank, and stock filter on engine
mechanical engine stop via push pull cable on dash

i think thats it, did i leave anything out?

Clay

How did you solve the offset issue of the R150 transmission in relation to the piggy real axle. Did you swap transfer cases? Did you use an adapter?

time for an update, its been 5 yrs since the swap, crap time flies. as some of you may have seen i started a little topless thread as the rig is going under the knife to make it a trail toy, 100% no more family camping or anything other than just a fair weather play rig.

the drivetrain is awesome !!! still get a poop eating grin on my face everytime i drive it. still getting mid 20's for MPG in mixed driving.
although i dont put alot of miles on the rig the tranny choice seems to have been a good one, absolutely no issues.

Cool thread man, hadn't seen it yet. Been serching out prices for the Marlin Crawler and the R150 tranny. Also been thinking about the "B" d-train like you mentioned. Still prefer the Isuzu as far as power and fuel mileage. Also thinking about t-cases, as far as the 3 or 4 spd cruiser case vs. a split case. Prolly stick with the 3 spd I'm running now, but just recently remembered the cast iron case that's now available. Don't think I'll need it, but it's always an option.
I guess aside from all the conversion talk, I've been curious if you've come across any Isuzu performance stuff while doing your research. Aftermarket stuff or conversions and the like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom