EGR Readiness Achieved with EGR Removed! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
All,

Just thought I'd share a tid-bit of information with the communuty on how to achieve EGR readiness while your EGR system is removed. This is particularly important in states where the OBD2 (OBDII) system is tested for readiness as a prerequisite for passing an emissions inspection.

After reading the multitudes of EGR threads here on Mud, there is a wealth of information on how to delete the EGR, and how to prevent a CEL (MIL) from occuring (P0401/P0402). However, once the ECU is disconnected from power (battery disconnected, ECU removed, etc) the OBD readiness tests will reset, and the resistor mod alone will not allow the ECU to achieve readiness. It never will, trust me, I tried every driving pattern possible and over 600 miles of driving.

The members of the forum who do have the system ready and the resistor mod in place, after investigation via PM, never disconnected their batteries. Their EGR was ready prior to removal, and once they need to achieve readiness again, they will be unable to. The other people who did the mod and cleared the code, never got ready afterwards to my or their knowledge.

I did a lot of research on trying to figure out what the ECU wants to "see" to determine that the EGR system is functioning properly, and the answer is quite simple, a significant change in EGR temp once the VSV for EGR is cycled. When the EGR is closed, it wants a cold temp, when it is open it wants a warm temp. A "warm" temp would be somewhere in the 2k ohm to 5k ohm range, and a "cold" temp would be in the 100k-200k range on the EGT temp sensor. How did I achieve this?

I put a 200k resistor in where the EGR temp sensor was, and I wired a 2k resistor in parallel with the 200k resistor. The 2k half of the circuit was wired to an automotive relay normally left open, and I used the ECU's VSV trigger to close the relay. When the ECU wants the EGR on, magically the resistance drops to a little over 2k. FWIW, one side of the VSV has constant 12V power, the ECU cycles it via a ground trigger.

My system literally went from not ready, to ready in less than 1 mile of driving, verified via my scan tool. Once readiness was achieved, I removed my relay concoction and put a 4.3k resistor in for the temp sensor, and no code since, system ready.

SEE POST BELOW FOR UPDATE!!!

There is a catch though... somehow the relay really pissed off the ECU, and I'm a mechanical engineer, not an electrical engineer, so I don't know why. My guess is that the VSV is not a true solenoid, but a variable valve that can send a varying vacuum load to the EGR valve. Since the relay is essentially an on-off switch, the ECU wasn't seeing the load it wanted at the VSV. A resistor in line may have fixed this, but like I said, I'm a ME, not an EE. At mid-throttle, the relay caused a random misfire. At low throttle the truck was fine, and at large throttle openings the truck was fine. If driven at mid throttle it would throw a misfire code, which upon reset would put the EGR back to not ready :)doh:). That's the whole reason for the immediate switch to the 4.3k resistor once readiness was achieved.

SEE POST BELOW FOR UPDATE!!!

I know this all sounds hokey, but it was much easier than removing my intake a second time and re-installing my EGR system just to get through inspection.

Last edited:
Nice sleuthing!

The members of the forum who do have the system ready and the resistor mod in place, after investigation via PM, never disconnected their batteries. Their EGR was ready prior to removal, and once they need to achieve readiness again, they will be unable to. The other people who did the mod and cleared the code, never got ready afterwards to my or their knowledge.

I have a 95 w/ OBDII, the resistor mod, vacuum lines looped, and I've removed my battery; and disconnected it several times (up to hours at a time).

We don't have OBDII scan here for '95 and older. Is there some indication of the system test state not being in ready mode?

Great research - facts are always a good thing!

Thanks for the post! This may allow me to get smogged here in CA while I continue to try and solve my 401 code. Any further details about exactly what you did to accomplish this would be appreciated. I'm a noob when it comes to electronics. I have a 97 LX so it is OBII.

This is great info, thanks for posting up. n I still have my EGR, but my rare PO401 code has me thinking about this more...

I have a 95 w/ OBDII, the resistor mod, vacuum lines looped, and I've removed my battery; and disconnected it several times (up to hours at a time).

We don't have OBDII scan here for '95 and older. Is there some indication of the system test state not being in ready mode?

Great research - facts are always a good thing!

The only way to check if your EGR system is ready is with an OBDII scan tool with the ability to check system readiness.

Nice sleuthing!

This is great info, thanks for posting up. n I still have my EGR, but my rare PO401 code has me thinking about this more...

Thanks!

Thanks for the post! This may allow me to get smogged here in CA while I continue to try and solve my 401 code. Any further details about exactly what you did to accomplish this would be appreciated. I'm a noob when it comes to electronics. I have a 97 LX so it is OBII.

I will describe it as best as possible...

- At the EGR temp sensor connector under the hood, perform the resistor mod with a 200k ohm resistor to simulate a cold EGR temp signal. This is covered in the thread linked in the second post.

- Remove the glovebox and the passenger side speaker panel to reveal the ECU/ECM.

- Looking at the ECU from the passenger seat, still mounted in place. Unplug the large 26 pin connector all the way on the left, labeled E 4 (A) on the attached image, the small 16 pin connector immediately next to it, labeled E 5 (C), and the large 24 pin connector E 7 (D).

- Untape a portion of the engine wiring harness so you can access the wires, 3-4 inches will suffice.

- Find the blue wire with red stripe on Connector E 4 (A), it should go to pin 21. This is the groud trigger for your relay, it can go to either side of the switching side of the relay. DO NOT CUT THE WIRE. Use a Vampire Clamp to tap off of this signal.

- Find the red wire with yellow stripe on connector E 7 (D), it should go to pin 2. This is the 12V power to complete the trigger circuit on your relay. Again, DO NOT CUT THE WIRE, use a vampire clamp.

- Find the Brown Wire with the Black Stripe on connector E 5 (C), it should go to pin 9, use a vampire clamp and connect this to one side of the switched portion of the relay. DO NOT CUT THE WIRE

- Find the Green Wire with the Yellow Stripe on connector E 4 (A), it should go to pin 19. Use a vampire clamp and connect this wire to one side of your 2k ohm resistor, connect the other side of your resistor to the other side of the switched portion of the relay. DO NOT CUT THE WIRE

IMPORTANT!!!! >>

In the process of looking at the EWD in the FSM again to re-find the pins/wires, I figured out my misfire problem. When looking at the FSM Wiring Diagram, the VSVs, Heated O2's, MAF, basically all the 12V engine sensors get power from a yellow wire with a red stripe. This wire crosses the path of a second yellow wire with red stripe that is actually the power for the #5 injector. I accidentally used that wire to power my relay, not the red/yellow wire mentioned above. That is why my truck misfired while attempting this, I was robbing power from my #5 injector. That also explains the P0305 (cylinder 5 misfire) code that I got during my drive. If you follow this proceedure and use the red/yellow wire described above, it should be a permanent fix, not temporary. I am going to reconnect my relay as described above tonight and report back.

If you notice, no wires are cut during this process, it ensures the entire mod is removeable with no permanent damage if desired. Just put some electrical tape over the wire where the clamps were.
wires.jpg
video_wire.jpg

Congrats on your detective work. You may not be an EE but you're a tenacious ME for sure!

I'm curious if my Scangauge has the "EGR READY" input status, I'll have to look for it. I'll have to check my OBD-II software that I occasionally use for this signal too. Very interesting.

For those of us who did not remove the EGR completely, perhaps we could still achieve the EGR READY state by simply going back to stock after a battery disconnect. After a few cycles, we could then disable the EGR with the resistor mod and rerouting the vacuum lines. Does this sound correct?

Congrats on your detective work. You may not be an EE but you're a tenacious ME for sure!

Haha... thanks!

I'm curious if my Scangauge has the "EGR READY" input status, I'll have to look for it. I'll have to check my OBD-II software that I occasionally use for this signal too. Very interesting.

For those of us who did not remove the EGR completely, perhaps we could still achieve the EGR READY state by simply going back to stock after a battery disconnect. After a few cycles, we could then disable the EGR with the resistor mod and rerouting the vacuum lines. Does this sound correct?

Yes, that certainly should work... providing your EGR system is functioning properly!

We have no emissions testing in al and my egr is disabled as well, and I also have the not ready syndrome. Is there any negative to it always saying not ready? I mean I'm not going to be tested or anything.

We have no emissions testing in al and my egr is disabled as well, and I also have the not ready syndrome. Is there any negative to it always saying not ready? I mean I'm not going to be tested or anything.

forgive the dumb question but how do you know when the system is not ready? Is there a check engine light with a Pxxxx code of some sort?

forgive the dumb question but how do you know when the system is not ready? Is there a check engine light with a Pxxxx code of some sort?

I have a scan gauge and when you check for codes it says 0 codes found -NOT READY-.

The only negative to the system being not ready is an inability to pass emissions in states where readiness of the OBD2 system is required.

I have a scan gauge and when you check for codes it says 0 codes found -NOT READY-.

Hmm, I thought that is more of a "no comm" thing rather than an EGR thing. Interesting.

Hmm, I thought that is more of a "no comm" thing rather than an EGR thing. Interesting.

The "NOT READY" is not just an EGR thing, it can be for different sensors that have not had their readiness parameters met to the ECUs satisfaction.

So right off the bat, I'm going to start with "I'm confused!".

I've read through 12 pages of the "Disable EGR mostly Toyota way" and other threads touching on this and now this thread. There aren't nearly enough step-by-step, or linearly arranged steps and definitely not enough pictures to go along...

So I have a California late-1995 OBDII engine that has been rebuilt, not yet run, and had the EGR system completely removed using block off plates on the head and intake. The VSV vacuum line is just doubled back onto itself. The temp sensor on the intake is still in place. A new wiring harness is being installed.

So my questions involve the initial EGR readiness described here in this thread and then how to leave the system so the ECU believes the EGR is functioning properly.

I have the plug (Toyota Part No. 82824-35020) that would plug into the ECU side of the temp sensor that Ebag333 describes in the first post of his thread.

From this thread, and the original one, it seems like the ECU might not be happy without getting a "READY" from the EGR and then continuing to be fooled by the proper resistor. I guess I'm curious how to successfully pull this off but I don't really want to be tapping into a brand new wiring harness.

Question, can someone post up the actual thread & pitch of the EGR temp probe?

My only issues with state inspections is that you can not have an active CEL so making the ECU happy has to happen. But it is all visual at this point, no OBDII plug in, etc.

This is really interesting stuff :cheers:

EGR Temp Sensor Thread & Pitch = 10-mm x 1.25

Last edited:
So right off the bat, I'm going to start with "I'm confused!".

....Lots o' stuff....

This is really interesting stuff :cheers:

If you have a 95, you have nothing to worry about. The "Disable the EGR the Toyota way" will work just fine, just that your EGR readiness test will never go "ready". Your CEL will NOT come on, just that particular check in your OBD2 system will never go ready either. Even in CA that won't matter, since they don't plug in to your OBD2 port to check for system readiness. As far as they're concerned you're OBD1.

As far as the ECU being "happy" without the readiness. I don't think this is an issue at all. As long as a malfunction hasn't been reported the ECU won't change a thing about how it runs.

As far as the thread pitch of the EGR temp probe. A metric bolt with a 14mm thread head works. I believe that is M8x1.25... I can double check later if I remember.

Great, thanks for the info. I had wondered if this thread was just going to die...

As far as California (which is what I meant when I put "CA" & not Canada...) they do indeed plug their state computer into your OBDII port, even in a AWD vehicle like the FZJ-80. True, they will only do a "load" test that uses just a tailpipe "sniffer" while going through a range of RPM's and holding them for specific times. But if the state computer isn't happy with what it is getting from your ECU or if you have a CEL on, you get flunked. Of course all of the testing places I was familiar with were privately operated so I think you can "shop" which one will most likely be less finicky about visual issues like not OEM catalytic converters, the EGR removed, etc.

Great, thanks for the info. I had wondered if this thread was just going to die...

As far as California (which is what I meant when I put "CA" & not Canada...) they do indeed plug their state computer into your OBDII port, even in a AWD vehicle like the FZJ-80. True, they will only do a "load" test that uses just a tailpipe "sniffer" while going through a range of RPM's and holding them for specific times. But if the state computer isn't happy with what it is getting from your ECU or if you have a CEL on, you get flunked. Of course all of the testing places I was familiar with were privately operated so I think you can "shop" which one will most likely be less finicky about visual issues like not OEM catalytic converters, the EGR removed, etc.

Do they plug in 95 80 series though? They are not (officially) OBDII compliant, so I think they may have to do a sniffer on it. 95's are the holy grail, because of this, IMHO.

I don't know about that. I had only experienced putting my 1997 through the testing stations numerous times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom