Drive shaft spline play (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

devo

SILVER Star
Threads
After replacing my u joints on the front drive shaft of my 1981 it is obvious that there is noticeable play in the splines. With DS bolted in, it looks like about 5mm of play when I push and pull on it at the slip joint. Is my only option a different drive shaft with tight splines? I don’t think you can tighten up wobbly DS splines?

devo

Is this 5mm in a radial pattern or lengthwise? Check the FSM for tolerance limits. Is the internal grease fresh, that may help reduce the lengthwise movement.

After replacing my u joints on the front drive shaft of my 1981 it is obvious that there is noticeable play in the splines. With DS bolted in, it looks like about 5mm of play when I push and pull on it at the slip joint. Is my only option a different drive shaft with tight splines? I don’t think you can tighten up wobbly DS splines?

devo

fyi ...

Timmy the TEq Tool man rules the day !

The length the male and female splines have contact with each other will effect wear. A lift will reduce the contact area. Also a out of balance driveshaft will put force in a way to promote spline wear. Generally with lockout hubs wear on the front driveshaft splines is far less than the rear driveshaft. Knowing nothing about this particular driveshaft do not know if either of these could be a issue.

@devo is this the FJ43 from Columbia? Not trying to knock SA cruisers it's just in the US market 40 series we're not used as hard and most markets around the world.

@Living in the Past

Yep straight out of Colombia! I didn’t notice the spline wear until after I replaced the U’s. The lift is a mild OME 2.5.
The reason I posted was to get info on spline wear. I always thought the wear was rotational, this one is loose when you push it in an upward direction, so lengthwise?
From the vibration it causes I’m pretty sure it doesn’t spin on its axis!

You did clock the two ends so the U joints match each other? Had a Ford van I learned real quick about aligning the ends after replacing the clutch. That was over forty years ago but never forgot that lesson. I now mark the spines to be sure I'm 180°.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom