Does my 80 have a ghost ? Starts with no key or ignition switch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 80 has had deteriorating starting issues, after a few tries she starts up, however the last time she started up the ignition switch seemed to get stuck “on” the starter continues to crank after start. I immediately unplugged the battery.

Naturally I assumed bad ignition switch so i took it out cleaned it and tried again no luck.

Tried plugging battery in with the entire switched removed and the truck STILL wants to start.

What am I missing ? Did I accidentally hotwire my truck ? A Ghost? The lock key cylinder issue ? How is it possibly starting with no key and no ignition switch installed ?

My guess at this point, a ghost

this exactly. Happened to me ages ago and the mad rush to get a 10mm spanner and undo the negative battery lead seemed to take an eternity
I can imagine. I would bet that in the future (knock on wood) it would be much quicker to disconnect the coil or pull the efi fuse :meh:

this wont stop it continue cranking
yeah, good point. I was thinking more along the lines of saving the starter from over revving ASAP.

Starter contacts welded together.
This is most likely correct, you can fix this yourself by removing the starter and cleaning the contacts (until all mating surfaces are bright shiny copper) or replacing the contacts.

Scroll down for the video, it's easy to do and cleaning them will buy enough time to get the replacement parts in.
Link to video on replacing starter contacts
The kit linked above has the plunger in it, which you may want to replace, there are other parts I'd recommend replacing that are not in the kit above (see the link below), unfortunately it appears the kits below don't include the plunger, I'm sure someone here could post the part numbers so you could get everything at a dealer.
You didn't say what year, but the kit below should still work:
Starter repair kits at Rockauto.com

When I lived outside the US and the local parts scene was lacking, cleaning the contacts with sand paper worked and lasted several weeks until the new parts arrived.

This is most likely correct, you can fix this yourself by removing the starter and cleaning the contacts (until all mating surfaces are bright shiny copper) or replacing the contacts.

Scroll down for the video, it's easy to do and cleaning them will buy enough time to get the replacement parts in.
Link to video on replacing starter contacts
The kit linked above has the plunger in it, which you may want to replace, there are other parts I'd recommend replacing that are not in the kit above (see the link below), unfortunately it appears the kits below don't include the plunger, I'm sure someone here could post the part numbers so you could get everything at a dealer.
You didn't say what year, but the kit below should still work:
Starter repair kits at Rockauto.com

When I lived outside the US and the local parts scene was lacking, cleaning the contacts with sand paper worked and lasted several weeks until the new parts arrived.
Right on the money ! I just pulled the starter and cleaned everything to a polish and sure enough the plunger contacts looked like a crusty old spark plug, full of corrosion!

However just put the truck back together and discovered low voltage to the fuel pump.

It is a brand new pump that was confirmed working I can hear it prime with the turn of the key right before cleaning the starter.

Did i screw something up starter related ?

I also just cleaned the fuel pump relay, it was pretty grimey but looks great now.

Still no fuel pump priming

Additionally, anyone know what this might ne right under the passanger seat ? I thought it was an amplifier for radio however i think it may be an aftermarket alarm system ? Im wondering if i set something off

image.jpg

EDBA1951-199D-4D12-92DD-FF5412BFF473.jpeg

However just put the truck back together and discovered low voltage to the fuel pump.

It is a brand new pump that was confirmed working I can hear it prime with the turn of the key right before cleaning the starter.

Did i screw something up starter related ?

I also just cleaned the fuel pump relay, it was pretty grimey but looks great now.

Still no fuel pump priming
You may want to start a new thread as this is a different issue. (starter stuck on vs no fuel pump priming)

If you are getting low voltage at the pump, are you getting the right voltage at the fuel pump relay?
If not, is a fusible link corroded?
Check the wires for resistance.
If the voltage is correct at the relay, jumper across the fuel pump relay circuit to see if it's a bad relay.
then check / clean all the contacts in the harness(es) all the way to the pump.
Check the wires for resistance.
Also check the ground connection at the pump, clean all the parts until they are shiny. It never hurts to add another ground (or more than one).
Does the fuel pump work well when supplied with the correct voltage? Maybe the pump is going bad.

This should help without just throwing parts at it.

I'm not sure what's under the seat or if the fuel pump circuit interacts with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom