DIY Backup Camera Install 2002 Lexus LX 470 w/ Factory Nav (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I see this is option that is vary seamless for the 1998-2002 Lx470. Couple question on this unit and the monitor on the lx470. What is the resolution of the camera input to the Navkis. I see it has two camera inputs. If I use them both does it split the screen or switch them via a toggle or how? What is the resolution of the Lexus monitor? Cameras are cheap these days I want to get the best possible if it takes advantage of the quality.

I did this on a 2003 LC. The Naviks unit only has two composite (aka RCA) video inputs. No component (RGB) or HDMI (which is what you need for 720P, 1080i/P, etc).

It does not do split screen. It will show whichever input is active on the nav screen. There is a toggle switch wired into the unit, which I believe lets you switch between the two inputs if they are both active, however I only gave one input in use and left the toggle switch next to the unit under the passenger seat.

When I played around with the toggle switch, it would go from my rear view camera to a gray/blank screen, so I'm pretty sure that switch toggles between the inputs.

I see this is option that is vary seamless for the 1998-2002 Lx470. Couple question on this unit and the monitor on the lx470. What is the resolution of the camera input to the Navkis. I see it has two camera inputs. If I use them both does it split the screen or switch them via a toggle or how? What is the resolution of the Lexus monitor? Cameras are cheap these days I want to get the best possible if it takes advantage of the quality.

Last edited:
Question, I have read on some car installs of the naviks or other units that you need to be on the NAV screen for the camera to work. is that the case in the LX/LC scenario? I leave my screen on the "trip" setting to monitor gas mileage and because nav is so antiquated.

Yes, the nav screen must be left on the map in order for the backup camera to show on the display when in reverse. I actually just installed this setup with a pioneer camera last week. Camera image looks great on the screen, better than a factory camera IMO. However, the map screen is now distorted/blurry and looks pretty bad. Not sure if it’s a bad unit or poor quality internals. I’m working with naviks on a solution. Anyone else have this issue?

Did this install yesterday and I can confirm the nav display does seem blurry. We've never used this since the GPS is broken so I've not got a lot of reference here.

During the install I did find that the GPS wire was snapped off from the connector into the navigation box so it may be more of a nuisance once I fix that.

Also to update this post, BTW thanks @bludy1 - this has been on my to-do list a year now. The newer NAVIKS units come with 3 inputs. The backup camera that is triggered by 12v reverse input, a second RCA input as well as an HDMI input that is triggered by the included momentary switch to cycle through them. On the third click you're returned to the factory nav screen. I'm going to play with a Chromecast and RaspPI as HDMI sources and most likely a front facing camera of some sort for the other input.

I did this thinking as a temporary Backup Camera before going with the Naviks.
I have a Wireless receiver/transmitter too.
Now that I have used the separate display for a while, I think I will stay with it and
just run a video cable eliminating the wireless.
The wireless is not a big issue, just sometimes I get a little signal interruption but
not enough to be a pressing issue.

I'm thinking of installing the video cable, and repurposing my wireless receiver/transmitter
to have a continuous rear view at the back of my Travel Trailer. The 7" LCD display
I have has two separate video channels - one I use for backup, and the second for
by Travel Trailer.

I also use the Esky license plate holder with built in adjustable camera.

Can you post a picture or two of the blurry nav screen? I'd really like to add a backup camera to my 02 LX but not at the cost of the other screens becoming blurry. Despite the outdated nature of the Nav maps it is going to drive me crazy if they go from bad/clear to bad/blurry. Also curious to hear from Landspeed how the Chromecast is working out.

Did the install and don't see the screens as being blurry, Thanks for the write up. I would note that the wire colors are a bit different on the newer units than the original one.

Red = ACC
Black = Ground
Brown = Reverse Trigger

be sure and use the green RCA on the unit for back up camera, not the yellow.

IMG_20190723_150132548.jpg

IMG_20190724_185755244.jpg

I used one of the license plate light cameras with intelligent tracks and it seems to work good.

IMG_20190724_185702572_HDR.jpg

Thread for reference.

Thanks for sharing! I had the backup camera and Bluetooth installed yesterday. I had a professional do it, $240.

123.jpg

1234.jpg

12345.jpg

@bludy1 thank you for the great write up. Thank you everyone for all the added input. @phatdragon how did you wire in the front facing camera? Also what camera did you use? Will be tackling this install on a friend's LX470 very soon.

Last edited:
Wired through the engine bay by battery (need power for the camera from the battery) and then across the firewall to the passenger side grommet. Fish the wire through there and the glove box, then along the console to under the passenger seat to the Naviks unit.
Here is the camera I used:
snip the wires to make it a front facing camera (flips the image).

Some additional pics of the install on my build thread :

I had it mounted to a plastic license plate but ended up getting a metal one so it would not flex as much.

Trail Cam 1.jpg

Seeing this thread pop up makes me want to try and use that HDMI port for to something. I'm wondering if it was a DVD player or Nintendo Switch if the sound would come through the speakers or not. Has anyone tried the HDMI port for something like this?

@phatdragon according to Naviks' website the hdmi port only produces video. I think you may need to connect to the rca (red/white) audio. Not sure if you can pull sound from different source on the Nintendo switch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom