DIY Backup Camera Install 2002 Lexus LX 470 w/ Factory Nav (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Can anyone confirm this works for the newer LX models with the updated interior?

PO gave me the LX and a plastic bag with the Nav ECU in it. Said it quit working and he was going to have someone repair it but never got around to it. If it is just the sensor that reads the DVD that is broken and I put the ECU back in, this backup camera install should work fine, right? I'd love to install a backup camera, but don't want to spend the money to fix the DVD reader. (All other functions such as A/C and stereo work fine.) Thanks!

Last edited:
The Naviks (NK-2300) does work on a 2003 LX470. The wire colors, however, are slightly different. It seems from 2003 they started to use different colors for wiring. Naviks does a good job of labeling all the wires on their harness. Naviks Harness (NKH) ACC wire attaches to the 18th pin NAV ACC wire (bland olive with pink markings). The NKH Ground wire attaches to the 17th pin NAV Ground wire (off white/yellowish w/black stripe). Reverse trigger wire and Male RCA power wire (comes off the Male RCA) attach to the 14th pin NAV Reverse wire (Red w/black stripe and pink markings). Like bludy1 mentions the Reverse Trigger and RCA Power needs to be wired together to the NAV Reverse wire.

In the 03' model year the reverse light was moved closer to the center of the tailgate. The reverse lights are connected by a pin connector harness and not like the usual way a bulb is connected. Sorry I was in a rush and didn't get a photo of the harness. I have to replace some bulbs and will get photos and post so that anyone trying to do this on a 03' to 06' will have some clarity.
NAV Wiring.jpg
2003_LX470_RevLight.jpg

Absolute legend! Thanks heaps for the info and photos.

Sorry the photo I took was too blurry to post. I found a stock image of what the harness looks like. This is the Reverse Light Harness to connect the power and ground to, at the camera. When you get the tailgate carpet cover off you'll want to remove the Triangular cover kept in place with 3 screws. Using the larger opening, reach in towards the left (if on right) or towards the right (if on left) up towards the front of vehicle (hinge side of tailgate) and you should feel the harness (about 4 - 5 inches of space from the harness to tailgate wall (to hinge)) . Press the tab as you see in the picture (note the tab is on the top side and is a bit tight, take your time to release it). There is an opening left of the harness (if on right) / right of harness (if on left) which you can pull the harness out through to make your wire connections. The wire color for the harness is slightly different. The ground wire is white/black stripe but the positve 12V is not red/yellow stripe but is opposite of ground.

When I go to install the front camera hopefully next week I'll do my best to get better photos.
Reverse Light Harness.jpg

Thanks for the great writeup! I plan on doing this install in the next couple of months.

Naviks unit is now $245 and the camera in the first post is currently not available. Most cameras will work as long as they have a composite video output.

FWIW, Naviks recommends the below 2 cameras:

Pioneer NDBC8 ($79.97)
Amazon product ASIN B00XBDBQ8S
Kenwood CMOS-230 ($87)
Amazon product ASIN B00WH0R2Y8

Last edited:
Thanks for the great writeup! I plan on doing this install in the next couple of months.

Naviks unit is now $245 and the camera in the first post is currently not available. Most cameras will work as long as they have a composite video output.

FWIW, Naviks recommends the below 2 cameras:

Pioneer NDBC8 ($79.97)
Amazon product ASIN B00XBDBQ8S
Kenwood CMOS-230 ($87)
Amazon product ASIN B00WH0R2Y8
Anyone use this one?

@cwmoser were you able to do this without the Naviks? I want to add a reversing camera to my 2002 LX470, but the Naviks is pricey.

Looking for more affordable options.

This seems like a good solution, but it sounds quite annoying for the screen to be on the nav app/maps for it to display the reverse camera.

Anyone aware of a solution that auto triggers the screen to show the camera regardless of what "screen" is showing on the monitor?

Did this install yesterday and I can confirm the nav display does seem blurry. We've never used this since the GPS is broken so I've not got a lot of reference here.

During the install I did find that the GPS wire was snapped off from the connector into the navigation box so it may be more of a nuisance once I fix that.

Also to update this post, BTW thanks @bludy1 - this has been on my to-do list a year now. The newer NAVIKS units come with 3 inputs. The backup camera that is triggered by 12v reverse input, a second RCA input as well as an HDMI input that is triggered by the included momentary switch to cycle through them. On the third click you're returned to the factory nav screen. I'm going to play with a Chromecast and RaspPI as HDMI sources and most likely a front facing camera of some sort for the other input.

View attachment 1906728View attachment 1906729View attachment 1906730
Any follow up ideas on using the HDMI port? I like pi.

The Naviks (NK-2300) does work on a 2003 LX470. The wire colors, however, are slightly different. It seems from 2003 they started to use different colors for wiring. Naviks does a good job of labeling all the wires on their harness. Naviks Harness (NKH) ACC wire attaches to the 18th pin NAV ACC wire (bland olive with pink markings). The NKH Ground wire attaches to the 17th pin NAV Ground wire (off white/yellowish w/black stripe). Reverse trigger wire and Male RCA power wire (comes off the Male RCA) attach to the 14th pin NAV Reverse wire (Red w/black stripe and pink markings). Like bludy1 mentions the Reverse Trigger and RCA Power needs to be wired together to the NAV Reverse wire.

In the 03' model year the reverse light was moved closer to the center of the tailgate. The reverse lights are connected by a pin connector harness and not like the usual way a bulb is connected. Sorry I was in a rush and didn't get a photo of the harness. I have to replace some bulbs and will get photos and post so that anyone trying to do this on a 03' to 06' will have some clarity.View attachment 2188020View attachment 2188021

Thank you for the tips! I'm looking to install on a 2003 LX470 as well.

Two questions:
1. Does the screen turn ON automatically if "OFF" and you put the vehicle into Reverse?
2. If not, does the screen need to be on NAV (the map) to show the backup camera, or can it be on AUDIO?

Thank you!

I have an 04 Lx which doesn't have a backup camera, does anyone know if I buy an oem backup camera that its just a plug and play ? Thanks . Amazing write-up !!

We're putting you in charge of how to guides from now on. Thank you for sharing this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom