Back-up camera with intelligent tracks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I found this on AliExpress and ordered one ... I am pleased with the fitment and results.

upload_2017-8-16_18-21-13.png

It works with a gyro in the camera assembly to detect the yaw and predict where the vehicle will track in reverse. The unit replaces one of your license plate lights and has a slot to insert your existing bulb/holder. Wiring is similar to most reverse cameras but this one has a relay to power the camera from an independent power source rather than the actual back up lamp power. No holes or modifications necessary and looks (mostly) stock.

Low light/night performance is good too. Not sure its really a Sony CCD, but it looks good. Resolution seems higher than most.
There is no way to adjust the placement of the lines overlaying the camera's image but the spacing markers are pretty accurate.
There is a good view of the tow hitch (not so visible in my poor pix).
I did use two coax video cables to get it to reach all the way to the front, but this was part of my plan because I will connect a different camera when the tire swing out is on the bumper.

I put it in my '01 LX470 with Pioneer AVX4000.

upload_2017-8-16_18-25-40.png

upload_2017-8-16_18-26-12.png

upload_2017-8-16_18-26-45.png

upload_2017-8-16_18-29-16.png

Thanks for posting this, I might try this retrofit for my folk's RX350 with the factory system.

Power from the 12V socket in the back. The backup light signal/power passes through a blue connector in the same location by the jack and tools access lid. Very convenient. I'll see if I can grab a pic for you a little later.

Very cool! I really like the way it mounts, much nicer install than my license plate mounted camera. However, all of these options will be moot when the tire lives back there.

Yeah I know. I took so long to do this because I was trying to decide on which camera and where to put it. In the end when I saw this one I decided to go with it for non-swing out mode and then use a license plate one for swing out mode. I'll just disconnect one and connect the other when I put the swing out on. Hence the coax coupler in the panel where the tools and jack are. I figured I had to plug in the power for the number plate light anyway. There are cheaper cameras too of course. I add/remove the swing out on the BIOR rear based on what we're doing.

My best thought on location for a camera that serves both was to put it up high on the rear spoiler mount. But the perspective with these cameras gets weird that high up.

Here's a pic of the blue connector in the panel by the tools. The reverse lamp is the red and black wire that I've spliced into with crimp spade connectors. I do it that way so that there's a male and female pair on the original wire so that I can easily remove my mod.

IMG_4539.JPG

So the camera needs 12v and backup light power. How did you run the wire from the stereo unit to the head unit? Is the camera you listed compatible with all units or are these specialized? I just installed a new JVC double DIN.

IMG_1449.JPG
IMG_1447.JPG
Got this install finished today. Display is clear and the lines actually bend which way u are reversing. Thx to @LostAfrican for the post!

Great find, thanks for posting! Is this a constant on or only in reverse?
Reverse only. I've read on here that constant power can damage lens and crap out after a few months. Fit perfectly. So far, so good!

When you replace the headunit did you have to do the factory speakers as well?
I didn't, but you could. My stock speakers still sounded good. Subs too. Still running factory amp thru Sony HU.

Just ordered the camera. Any tips on how to wire it to the head unit?

Have you been happy with this camera? I am about to pull the trigger. Did the camera come with enough coax for the install? I know you said you added some but was it necessary? Thank you

txsundevil, watch this vid from the 3:58 minute mark.

Those are boyo cameras and harnesses in the video. A three part harness is a way better install to a new deck. At $65 I think I would not buy from ali, there are just better options.
A small pigtail at the camera, and small pigtail at the stereo, and a long travel bundle harness with small ends to push though holes. An install like this is a no brainer, providing you find a reverse trigger up front. (if you want it triggered) There are many, under seat, under shifter, behind glove box, and at least one side lower kick panel. Personally I would not tap into reverse lights, or use a relay.

someone asked about replacing the stock LC cam with aftermarket, remember that the LC, 4runner etc, and most likely lexus lx have stock 6VDC cameras. The cam ecu is under the pass seat.

Last edited:
if your a camera junkie, which I'm not, there's all those HD ones, CMOS, HDR, blah blah, I don't know about all that. I would only suggest that someone not buy a more expensive HD cam if your screen can display it.
I'm good with whatever cam with a decent picture and good wiring and camera install. Honestly I don't think your paying for the cam in the <130 dollar range, more about the mount and wiring. Above that # im sure the cameras themselves get better, I wouldn't know.

I use the stock 2006 toyota cam with my pioneer and it's great. There are too many options, grid lines, movable grid lines, adjustable angles. LED, etc.

I spent a while figuring out if I wanted to gut my system totally or keep the 6volt cam, remove the ECU, and step down the 12v to 6v.
The absolute fastest install is 3 part harness with all 4 wires to the stereo. Spend 70 dollars and if you don't like the camera and how it looks on your double din you can always just cut the camera off and install another. It's 4 wires.

I would have bought a boyo set up if I didn't want to delete all the crap under my passenger seat.
They're on amazon, sonic electronix. I read a ton of reviews on amazon. I found that I would have went with one that had wiring that looked like this, this is two part, and the camera part has the past pigtail. This is just an example.
OP, im not trying to jack your thread, sorry
BOYO Vision VTL300C Zinc Alloy Die Cast License Plate Frame with
vtl300c.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom