Disable the EGR system the (mostly) Toyota way (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

4.7k resistor will eliminate the code. My charcoal canister is still hooked up.

Right. I’ve got the 4.7k resistor installed and the temp sensor hole plugged. The code is gone for now. However I’m going to pull all the associated EGR related materials and before I do want have everything figured out. I’m thinking of putting a breather filter of some kind on it, but was curious what others have done who have removed it.

Next question...the VSV under the intake plenum, the one with the plug. What are folks doing with it when they remove all the associated EGR components?

My thought is to unplug it and forget about it...

I don't think that the vsv really matters, with the egr disabled there shouldn't be any flow even if the vsv is still plugged in. I just looped the vacuum lines from one port back to its self so even if the vsv turns on nothing will happen.

Does anyone know the thread size and pitch on the circle portion of the EGR valve
FA63F2A3-0214-424A-AD97-DFE1838C2C39.jpeg

One week with the 4.7k ohm resistor installed. No P0401, but tonight while exiting the interstate I threw P0402, which is a first. I reset the CEL and it didn’t return. Possibly a loose resistor?

Also, I replaced the large bolt with a clean looking Allen screw.
3A0F628C-D200-4E99-B288-0742C7047ED2.jpeg

2A049FAC-E340-4A19-A5FF-70CC6870CFB1.jpeg

I've been through many drive cycles and 300-400 miles with no codes. Built a plug to hold the resistor for a clean look.

EGR Temp Sensor Test Plug

Just wanted to double check this.
I have an early 93 odbI that does NOT have the egr temp sensor on the intake manifold.
I just looped the vacuum lines on the egr modulator and on the TB, I have not removed anything on my truck.
Is there anything else that needs to be done to properly disable my egr?
From my understanding, I should not get a CEL light since I do not have the egr temp sensor, am I correct in assuming this?
Thanks in advance MUD guys!!

egr.jpg

egr2.jpg

I've tried both resistor approach AND paperclip approach, but neither seems to fool the ECU. Wondering if I've got a fried wire below the plug? You can see the ECU side of plug with alligator clip looping the plug bottom center of pic. Is there something I'm overlooking?

removed EGR in my 3FE - had the biggest benefit on engine smoothness, idle, arguable performance gain. It was a no brainer for this truck, noticibe more exhaust smell, but was never a fan of injecting hot exhaust gas back into the engine....

Will try pic again tomorrow. Thanks in advance. I need to check resistance on previous resistor fix and report back. Maybe not enough ohmage?

See pic for alligator clip fix that didn't work. As noted, resistor installed by "shop" didn't work previously. I still need to check ohms and make sure it is at 4.7k ohms?

My next check will be to make sure I don't have a bad connection/wire between Temp Sensor plug and ECU.

EGR.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom