1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dimming lights

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by thorvald, Aug 19, 2003.

1. thorvald

thorvald .......

Media:
    ill be looking into this tomorrow, but thought maybe someone would have agood idea of what my problem is first. My lights are dimming on their own, sometimes when the gas is let off on, sometimes with nothing being done, no accessories being turned on or off. it was more of a flicker but tonight it
    was the difference between brights and dim. Havent noticed it happening with the brights on, its just with the dims, which gives very little light. The voltmeter is registering just barely above the middle mark when they dim, when they go back to normal it moves about a centimeter or so above the middle line, where it normally sits.
    Im thinking I need to check the altenator and battery, possibly a short somewhere, anything else I should be looking at?

2. Hltoppr

Hltoppr SILVER Star

Media:
    Port of Indecision...otherwise Northern Arizona
    My thoughts were bad alternator... get that checked first. It's very likely that the battery is barely holding on too.

-H-

3. landtank

landtank SILVER Star

Also could be a slipping belt to the altenator.

4. scottm

scottm

Media:
    My stock '97 has separate power feeds for left and right light headlight buckets, then separate grounds from each bulb through the headlight switch. If it's a short in the headlight wiring you should see it on one side or the other.