Dec 1977 Wiring Diagram help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mmw68

CruiserCrap.com - pimping crap for your cruiser!
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
store.cruisercrap.com
So I decided to go OEM thru my fuse box and try and label it.

The Cruiser is a Dec 1977, so I've been using the 1978 Wiring Diagram from the FAQ. That wiring diagram has been working for me great, following wires under the hood, in the harness etc..

I Assumed the order on this diagram matched the fuse box, but my fuse box is different.

So here is what I get, going from top to bottom if your looking at the box.

8. Marker side lights
7. Hazard/Horn
6 ?
5 Headlights
4 ?
3. turn signals, wipers
2. ?
1. Radio - with shorter style fuse.

To make things worse - I think I've got the wrong fuse box cover, it came with the truck..

It reads - (top to bottom)

Tail
Stop
Lighter
Wiper
Heater
Turn
Engine
headlamp

S0 -who has a 1977 that can tell me what there fuse box cover reads. :cheers:

In Nov some stuff changed on the 77. I have a Jun77 and can't say until tomorrow. In Nov the washer bottle changed and no telling what else. Maybe your close enough to 78 to be a 78.

that lower one you described seems like the one i have. I'll confirm it tomorrow, I'm almost certain my bottom was the headlight cause it burnt up.

Last edited:
Ive got a Dec 77 40. As far as I know the fuse cover is original, almost everything is on mine. The order from top to bottom if your looking at the cover is as follows:

Tail
Stop
Lighter
Head Lamp
Heater
Turn Wiper
Engine
Radio

I hope that helps, I am glad I can actually try to help someone here, I know I have learned a ton.
:beer:

Ive got a Dec 77 40. As far as I know the fuse cover is original, almost everything is on mine. The order from top to bottom if your looking at the cover is as follows:

Tail
Stop
Lighter
Head Lamp
Heater
Turn Wiper
Engine
Radio

I hope that helps, I am glad I can actually try to help someone here, I know I have learned a ton.
:beer:

That's a big help!!! If I fill in the missing ??? - I think we have a match. So Iam assuming this cover is wrong, so I'll just relabel it. :beer::beer::beer:

Awesome, hope all goes well for you!:clap:

I know I am bring back a dead thread but I think it would be good to keep all the info in one thread. I have my mom's 80 FJ40 and I am bringing it back to life after being off the road for 9 years due to smog. I dont have a cover for the fuse box. I think this info is right for the fuse location but does anyone have what are the proper amp ratings for each fuse?

I'm looking for the same info, amp ratings, for my 78... I have a publication showing one set of ratings and then a Wiring Diagram showing a different set of values.

Maybe this helps

Image-02.jpg

Rudi
Image-02.jpg

That's the publication that I have but it doesn't match the Wiring Diagram... on my block, Turn & Wiper are combined and Radio is added same as shown on the WD

.......................Pub......WD
Tail................. 15A......15A
Stop............... 20A......15A
Lighter............ 20A......15A
Head Lamp...... 20A......14A
Heater............ 20A......15A
Turn/Wiper...... 15A......20A
Engine............ 15A......10A
Radio.............. ??A...... 5A

Here is a pic of my fuse block and a link to the Wiring Diagram... I need to buy a cover or swap this out for a new design.
photo fuse block.jpg

Attachments

• Wiring_diagram_78_fj40.pdf
    444.4 KB · Views: 263
Last edited:
I would use Rudi's diagram (from Toyota), but if you're really concerned about it, try using the lower amperage fuses from the pdf wiring diagram. If you blow fuses you can always raise the amperage up to what Toyota shows. I'm not sure if you'll find a 14A fuse though...

Ah! Good to know... hijack over! :)
Ya - it's really frustrating during these "transition" years, everyone always points you to a '7X diagram when you post up asking :frown: The panels were the same from '71-'77, then a bastard '9/77-'12-78 (which you have), then back to compatible from '1/79-'83. Funny part is the rest of the harness has other changes in different years, which is why you really need your exact year diagram (especially for a '75-'78) -

Good fun!

Tucker

Here is mine from my '78 BJ40

DSC00338.JPG

Can't read the top one but that should be 15 or 20A.

Rudi
DSC00338.JPG

Ok, that matches the WD... Tail should be 15A according to both documents.

I'll swap mine out.

Thank you!

Anyone have a cover they want to get rid of?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom