Cybertruck or 200 Series Land Cruiser? (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mining cobalt and lithium in the U.S. is difficult. There is only a limited amount of cobalt to be found (basically Idaho for cobalt), and the one mine in Idaho that opened had to close due to market prices. The rest largely comes from China and the DRC, which has inhumane mining practices and tenuous relations with the US.

As proud owners of hippos, I'm not sure any of us can appeal to having a small or green footprint. I generally don't try to pretend the grass is greener on either side, but it's also surely not greener on the petroleum side the way the 200-series swills fuel. Mining and manufacturing for initial production is one thing, but is not the same degree as continuous mining of petroleum products for sustainment. Sure, electricity comes from somewhere too, but that has lots of potential to draw from cleaner sources and higher efficiencies.

As proud owners of hippos, I'm not sure any of us can appeal to having a small or green footprint. I generally don't try to pretend the grass is greener on either side, but it's also surely not greener on the petroleum side the way the 200-series swills fuel. Mining and manufacturing for initial production is one thing, but is not the same degree as continuous mining of petroleum products for sustainment. Sure, electricity comes from somewhere too, but that has lots of potential to draw from cleaner sources and higher efficiencies.
The bigger issue is control of supply. Petroleum (for gassers)has and lithium and cobalt (for EVs) are finite resources. We have a lot of petroleum in this country, limited cobalt. This can be overcome by commiting to developing solid state, super capacitors and batteries with more sustainable batteries.

I'm all for sustainable and renewable energy, but it will be a long and expensive road to get there, and I'd like to see it done efficiently as possible.

Electric subsidies, mostly comprising renewable energy, energy efficiency and to a much lesser extent, nuclear energy, cost the U.S. taxpayer a substantial amount more than the subsidies on fossil fuels.

View attachment 3546330
This chart is from 2016, but the spending on renewables. Per Reuters, the spending on renewable subsidies has doubled over the last 7 years. Meanwhile, subsidies related to natural gas and petroleum became a net cost to the U.S. government, which gave tax breaks worth $2.1 billion in fiscal year 2022 compared with a revenue inflow of $2.2 billion in fiscal years 2016 and 2017 combined.
Sadly that doesn’t count US military, Dept of Ag, Dept of Interior, Dept of Commerce, Dept of Transportation, or Dept of State indirect spending or other externalized subsidies. And that is only the US. Totality it is $7T globally in 2023 according to that bastion of liberals, the International Monetary Fund.

For sure Land Cruiser.
One day hackers will brick an electric car brand, and you will be glad to own a vintage (pre-2016 MY) Land Cruiser.

If the IMF is putting up this data, I would question the accuracy. Just looking at their article it comes across as a hit piece. They are still quoting the 1.5C climate change BS in that same write up. What is an actual subsidy that no other business gets but they do is what I would ike to see. I would bet the data comes out totally different.

Proof they skewed the UK data. If they did it to one country, they did it to the rest of them to push an agenda. Such bs.

Last edited:
For sure Land Cruiser.
One day hackers will brick an electric car brand, and you will be glad to own a vintage (pre-2016 MY) Land Cruiser.
Pretty much every car made in the US in the last 10-15+ years could be hacked and bricked. If it has WiFi, Bluetooth, cellular, or satellite. It can be hacked.

Even my 2003 MB e has a WiFi and cell antennas.

I believe the Lithium battery doesn't charge below a certain temperature, the computer will not let it charge even when plugged, that was the problem with people trying to go to these outdoor charging stations and no one was getting their car charged in the cold snap recently.

If you have a heated garage to charge your EV, that's not an issue.

I believe the Lithium battery doesn't charge below a certain temperature, the computer will not let it charge even when plugged, that was the problem with people trying to go to these outdoor charging stations and no one was getting their car charged in the cold snap recently.

Most of that was owners that were ignorant about how to properly charge the car. Follow the correct procedure and the car will warm the battery to prepare for charging. The rate may reduce but ultimately they can be charged.

You’ll still lose range compared to more normal temperatures as detailed in this thread though.

I’ve charged mine outside down into the -30’s. It charges, just charges slower. The issue in Chicago was rental teslas (and people that didn’t know what they were doing) were clogging up the superchargers.

Even in the severe cold If you set the car’s navigation to a supercharger the car preps the battery and charging takes a lot less time. If say use your phone to navigate it and just show up at a supercharger it can take 2-3x longer to charge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom