Ci Troa Soft top and bows (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I haven't had time to put together a good set of photos with a write-up. I think the top is just OK. The material is thick and sturdy however there is some extra material on the sides that will create some waviness once I get the turnbuckles installed. I think this will prevent it from having that super taught appearance of OEM. I'm waiting to get the grommets in until its warm because the material will wind up stretching once we hit 100 in Texas. I do have some stretch on the passenger side windshield grommet. The material was very tight and difficult to stretch and this grommet hole is pulling out a little to the side of the metal grommet.

The bows are another can of worms and I knew going in that there would be some massaging needed. The door bows in this kit don't attach to the normal windshield captured nut and instead are bolted through the outer edge where the soft top snap or bolt would be. I believe OEM door bows are two pieces and this is a single piece. I opted for the roll up rear window to work with the barn doors. On the rear bow there are two "frames" so to speak. The outer frame is what you would think of as the bow supporting the top and the inner frame is where the window or doors will latch and be supported. On the bow kit I received this frame was made too short to connect to the tub so I have a large nut to span the gap. The seller worked with me on the price here and refunded me around $490 after some back and forth. This doesn't directly affect the function as long as I have a long enough bolt and a spacer but it's not exactly ideal either.

On the positive side the top looks pretty good. I think for the money it's still a very viable option given the trouble with US made tops and bows currently. I think the Dirt Road top alone costs as much as this kit and if you can get ahold of her you still may never receive what you ordered. If you buy US made bows they're going to come raw metal. You'll still be on the hook to paint or powder coat them at an additional cost. The TROA bows had a good powder coat on them and I took the exposed pieces that can be seen with the doors closed and painted them to match the body. The seller was very responsive but I could never get him on the phone to directly discuss the problems. I used ebay for all communication in case we came to a point that I felt a refund or other action was needed.

If you're very handy you can install this yourself. I had it at a shop and because they were doing so many other things I wound up paying quite a bit in labor to get the top on correctly. I only have a carport so doing projects myself on the cruiser has been challenging.

I'll try to get some detail photos this weekend and update this thread for everyone to see. Sorry if the post is a bit rambling.
Thank you. This is one of the most even-tempered, product-focused reviews I’ve seen on the forum in a while. :clap:

An update for those of you who have ordered a Dirt Road top.

I'll get some photos as well to show as many angles as I can. I tried my best to provide the positives since it's my nature to focus more on the negatives.
Thanks for the great review. I have been search for many years for an OEM option, I really like the TROA bows with the ambulance door option. Can you provide pictures of how yours turned out. Just hate to spend that kind of money and not get a quality product.

I have been contemplating buying the real steel bow kit without tubes and making the rest myself.

Thanks for the great review. I have been search for many years for an OEM option, I really like the TROA bows with the ambulance door option. Can you provide pictures of how yours turned out. Just hate to spend that kind of money and not get a quality product.

I have been contemplating buying the real steel bow kit without tubes and making the rest myself.
I did not get ambi doors. I opted for the roll up back window and barn doors (tub height).

For anyone that has ordered a top and needs to install the twist lock grommets. I have not found a local upholstery shop that answers the phone so I still haven't installed mine. I just bought the extremely expensive hand tool that cuts exact holes for the grommet install. Once I'm done I'd be happy to loan it out to anyone who needs it. I should've bought it last year. Since then the price has increased again.

For anyone that has ordered a top and needs to install the twist lock grommets. I have not found a local upholstery shop that answers the phone so I still haven't installed mine. I just bought the extremely expensive hand tool that cuts exact holes for the grommet install. Once I'm done I'd be happy to loan it out to anyone who needs it. I should've bought it last year. Since then the price has increased again.
Would be interested in seeing pictures of how it goes when you get done.

Would be interested in seeing pictures of how it goes when you get done.
I'll try and get some photos and do a write up after. The tool should arrive this week but I probably won't have free time until the weekend after this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom