catskinners 72 fj45 past patina (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What do you think of this 1100 AG bike catskinner
bmw 1`100 ktm.jpg
bmw 1100 ktm.jpg

Hehehe ozcruiser she would be the gear for rounding up camels but a cowcocky would probably knock those horizontal vavle covers of on the gatepost
Also without front and rear racks there is nowhere for the chooks to roost and tie a 1000 bits of bailing twine to

So no power steering conversion..? ;)

I do like the old agbikes I have a yellow ag200 a red ag100 and 3 Honda ct200 auto ag's.
I've been thinking of getting Suzuki tf125 there under 3grand brand new same design as they were 30 yrs ago I see that as a good thing
I would like a sheep farmers view. I'm a 2 stroke fan by the way

i can talk ag bikes cat.

i run a lot, but they never all go at once haha. last summer i had 9 going; something of a record for me! mostly suzuki. tf125 are a great little bike; got a couple. would like a new one. we got an old bloke who has worked for my family most of his life. he likes the 125 now because they are easy to kick and light to handle. would love to present him with a new one to treat as his own see out his days because he has spent his whole life tolerating whatever station bike (and horse before that) was available. got a few tf185 also; dunno why they still dont make these. tf185 were same motor as the er185.

the 4 stroke 'trojan' ag200 is prob our main bike, the one i most familiar with, but they too have issues. the starters fail early, the rear wheels collapse (tf185 rears fit), and you cannot run them without a battery which is annoying. what happens is a kid tries to start a bike on a cold morning, doesnt have the kickpower to make it fire and leaves the key on. summer and dead batt by the time i find it! carb needs a new emulsion needle every 15-20,000km. and the crank key that holds the magneto has a tendency to shear; easy fix with the right puller. carb and this key are the death of most the ones i find. we gear up the sprokets to give them more legs, invert the rear brake so the rod runs above the swingarm instead of getting smashed to bits under it and fit a piece of conveyor under the crankcase. without the rubber the footbrake pedal has a tendency to pick up sticks and drive them through the oil sight glass which is a walk home with an oily boot. got a trojan with 57,000 hard km on it now.

yammy are ok. got a 175 2 stroke and a couple ag200 4 strokes. many blokes here swear by the 200 but they tend to bug me. had a couple cdi units fail which took me forever to diagnose. still got one bike that when hot will not idle or start (no its not valve adjustment). the clutches give trouble (going to try brand new clutch springs next). and yammy fuel tanks rust out from the inside. they must be thinner and more prone to rust than the suzukis. prob need to put a bit less water in my fuel. i like you can run yammy4str without a batt and i like the yammy sealed chain (they last longer).

but the bike i am going to build for fun is the original orange ag 175 from the early 70s. had one as a kid and got a couple wrecks (the other buried in a shed and too hard to photo) and a couple more wrecks around the district to pick up. got a good motor and good tank stashed in the shed. thinking budget spraycan rebuild. popular bike in their day but extinct. bright orange and loads of chrome barwork; they look so dated now. and who else would 'restore' an old ag bike haha. ridiculous project that suits my sense of humour. but look perfect on the tray of an old fj45 i reckon.

010.JPG

Cult there will be no power steering on this old girl

Looks like a tf125 will be next bike purchase thanks westaussie, I don't know about the ag175 looking outdated I don't mind the classic look
your bike graveyard if I did that in qld the grass and rain would consume and rust away that stuff in a year
image.jpg

actually this year and 2010 are the 2 best seasons we have had since the millenium. so if you could please stop you fellow banana benders from crying drought that would cheer me up haha

well there has been a bit rain around the district all week, everything is at standstill as not real good weather for sanding and painting. tomorrow should be sunshine but still to wet to do any earthmoving, good time to get cracking.

a few weeks ago I came across a 1965 fj45 that was waiting to be scrapped, the very generous owner let me pillage some early trinkets off her.
as you see a vented windscreen frame and square fuel tank plus a heap of other stuff that will come in handy when I do my 63 fj45

fj45windscreenframe.jpg earlyfueltank.jpg

Nice save cat. Not sure what techniques you employed but it might be time to move into sales ;)

Ozcruiser it was already sold to the scrapper, had 2f and later model chassis

Cult me mate, all above board
Sales haha Im in the collecting stage. Once I get my 63 finished might sell of excess stock then again I'll probably have something else to use it on hehehe

Also got a pineapple tin full of these fellas, early bolts any one know what year they stopped using these?
image.jpg

Hopefully some are J30-F bolts. They're NLA.

Reading sneakys post about previous owners, I would have liked to have met the old man that owned this 72 model.

Here are some of the interesting items I found in the junk stuffed behind the seats and in the glovebox, old stihl tool kit, hytest wedge(pitty wasn't a hytest axe), tropical greenlite matches, caterpillar, mack parts, old spark plugs, old time D shackle

image.jpg

What a score!! Love that old time stuff.

Cat old mate, how often do you find yourself in Gympie?

G'day mates after spending most of the week camping away putting in firebreaks (trails in USA) I had a bit of spare time today to contemplate should I go with the factory Toyota or a Ian Thomas winch.
The Toyota winch winds in with clockwise input rotation and the Thomas winds in with a counterclockwise input rotation

I would like to keep the Toyota winch for my 1963 45 fixed top, so to use the Thomas winch with a 5speed I will have to use the forward reverse pto and use reverse on the pto box for wind in as I don't have a Thomas pto box for a split case and powered unwind would be handy that's not possible with the Thomas box
So to cut a long winded story short if the tube crossmember needs a little modifying it's getting it haha hopefully I won't have to
So I'm guessing a Thomas pto box is not compatible with a Toyota winch as it will only wind out not in, you could use reverse on the main box instead of 4th direct but the ratio would be to low, am I correct ?
image.jpg
image.jpg

cat - I don't have a pto winch, they are very uncommon in wa. would love one for my 64 patia. speak to aussie25. he a gun on most things landcruiser including the various winches.

I have made a decision, I'm going to use the Thomas winch with a forward reverse Toyota pto box, hopefully it will clear the crossmember

Ozcruiser me mate, thanks for the link, if it's still there next conondale vintage motocross I'll have a look at it but I don't think I'll need it as I already have the Toyota unit that fits a 5 speed

Westaussie if I come across a cheap old winch I'll save him for you, to trade for worn out old trinkets of course

image.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom