Castor shim install (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
just checking to see if iv done this correctly
image.jpg
the plates are installed with the thick part to the front. They are 4* plates on 4" springs

how necessary would this be on a 2" lift? Have it installed for about a year now without any caster shims. It stills seems to steer fine though???

Sorry for the hijack:hillbilly:

Last edited:
My problem is death wobble and trying to chase it out

How is the drive angle with the rear? I have 4* in the front and i should have done some shims in the rear too. It isn't very noticeable but i plan on doing it soon

Castor angle can be a contributing factor. Although I have a 2" lift on mine with no castor shims and it's fine.May want to check the drag link and the pivot that bolts onto the front of the frame for play. Mine had what I considered pretty minor play, but at times it would make you pay attention when you would hit a bump or ripple just right. Also the steering stabilizer too..
Just my $.02. Hope it helps

That's how I did it. I also used longer shackle pins (actually just long, grade 8 cap screws) and added a spacer so that the cap screw went completely through the shackle and into the hole on the axle. I'd read about the usual pins shearing because they don't span both the shim and the hole in the axle. Probably way late on that advice, but you can see some shots of my setup about halfway down page 24

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/th...in-refurbishing-a-1975-chevota.725833/page-24

My shackles are only about 3/4in over stock, but it had my caster at about 0.2 or 0.3 degrees positive. I don't have a lift, but I do have saginaw power steering, which tends to like a little bit more caster. Without some 2 degree shims (for a total of about 2.2 degrees positive caster) the steering wouldn't recenter itself out of turns.

Castor is a poisonous bean that they make castor oil out of.

Caster is a front end alignment parameter.

:lol::lol::lol: L.M.A.O. Ohh that includes me too...:bang::bang::bang:

laughing again after I edited my post:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom