Carbon60's HDJ81 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just purchased a 1994 HDJ81 with 188,000 KMs on the odometer. :)

image.jpg

image.jpg

So let the fun begin!

I will be maintaining a thread here and on ExPo. The technical stuff should stay here and the uplifting should go on ExPo, or at least that is the loose plan.

The current todo list looks like this:
  • Engine oil [DONE, Shell Rotella Triple]
  • Front Differential oil [DONE]
  • Rear Differential (Limited Slip)
  • Transfer Case Oil [DONE]
  • Transmission Oil [DONE]
  • ATF [DONE]
  • Grease the driveshafts [DONE]
  • Brake Fluid
  • Coolant
  • General lubrication of doors, steering wheel, hood latch, swing out, etc;
  • Replace the headlights with NA appropriate models
  • Figure out what to do with the mud flaps that are currently in pristine condition, before that changes. Thinking of trimming them and attaching soft rubber flaps;
  • Fix the speedometer
  • Move my OME coils and struts from my FZJ80 to this rig
  • Caster correction bushings
  • Check all the other bushings
  • Fix the windshield washer fluid leak
  • Fully test the batteries
  • Check for anything loose, tighten it
  • Replace the rear hatch window gasket and treat any underlying rust I find
  • Replace the windshield gasket, treating any underlying rust
  • Paint the roof and the piece under the wipers, maybe the hood
  • Repaint the swing out
I'm sure I'll find more stuff to do…

Last edited:
Congrats on the purchase! Any pics of the whole truck?

Have you figured out what you'll do for insurance? I've heard it's tricky in ON to insure a RHD without going through facility and paying the crazy rates.

Excellent purchase. Can't wait for next trail run. Come by for a beer after you pick it up. More pics...:beer:

Wow, you beat some odds finding a 80 with those KM/miles, let alone a glow-plug!

Good on ya! Is it a RHD import, or did you all get LHD with glow-plugs?
I see a ton in my CL since I live 1/2hr from the border, seems 2/3 or so describe being an import.

+1 for more pics, always interesting to see the ROW 80's!

Edit, NM, just saw brake booster - were all the glow-plugs RHD, or are there LHD ones?

Wow, you beat some odds finding a 80 with those KM/miles, let alone a glow-plug!

Good on ya! Is it a RHD import, or did you all get LHD with glow-plugs?
I see a ton in my CL since I live 1/2hr from the border, seems 2/3 or so describe being an import.

+1 for more pics, always interesting to see the ROW 80's!

Edit, NM, just saw brake booster - were all the glow-plugs RHD, or are there LHD ones?

HDJ81's were all RHD, HDJ80's were LHD. You don't see many LHD HDJ trucks being imported to Canada due to the high cost, and mileage/wear in line with a truck that's lived it's life in North America. Japan is a tiny island, and low mileage isn't uncommon in vehicles from there it seems.

Just drove it 1000 km of highway and got 10-11 l/100 km, so I'm ecstatic. Now I can load her down and watch the mileage get worse! :)

Excellent purchase. Can't wait for next trail run. Come by for a beer after you pick it up. More pics...:beer:

A lot of work on the horizon to move things from the FZJ80 and fix the few minor issues with the new rig. But I'll be driving it all over the place, it's too much fun!

Added a full body shot to the first post.

Nice. Like the "Canada Proof" sticker on the battery.

I am waiting to receive the timing belt kit, water pump, ACSD delete kit, fuel filter, BEB kit, etc, etc. Ordered from John at Radd Cruisers. He was awesome to deal with, BTW.

I will have to have the batteries tested, but the truck seems to start in about a ¼ turn at the moment.

24V starter has no issues in warm weather, just a quick bump is all it takes.

Your full truck pic in the 1st post doesn't work.

I am waiting to receive the timing belt kit, water pump, ACSD delete kit, fuel filter, BEB kit, etc, etc. Ordered from John at Radd Cruisers. He was awesome to deal with, BTW.

You'll need your pump re-timed after doing your ACSD delete, just a heads up.

nice 80 dude! i'm in s. ontario too. are you on sontt.com? lots of local cruiser guys here.
cheers.

Thanks! I will have to check that out. I'm in Ottawa.

You'll need your pump re-timed after doing your ACSD delete, just a heads up.

Yeah, I noticed, but couldn't figure out why. I just replaced the link, thanks for noticing.

Currently busy with winch wiring.

cools. so you must know some of the ottawa cruiser guys then? wheeled with louis and some kingston guys a few years ago.
have fun with the 80! (still have to mount my metal tech bumper and new winch still).

cools. so you must know some of the ottawa cruiser guys then? wheeled with louis and some kingston guys a few years ago.
have fun with the 80! (still have to mount my metal tech bumper and new winch still).
Yeah, I'm sort of the treasurer for the club. Haven't seen Louis.

Timing belt, water pump, and BEBs are done:

image.jpg

The old BEBs look to be in perfect shape:

image.jpg

Maybe Mr T fixed this for '94?

A.

Got my ARB steps installed. Some interference with the plastic transmission skid plate that will require notching the skid itself.

Next step is wiring fridge socket, a bunch of USB ports, couple of radios.

A.

Installed ARB OME Nitrocharger Sports on all four corners (60018 & 60020). OME2864 coils in the rear, moved the old front coils from my FZJ80 to the this truck. She's looking much better, now.

image.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom