Cannot lock rear hatch! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

thatcabledude

GOLD Star
Threads
I've been baselining an '07 we got for my wife's new DD. I am now to the faulty door lock actuators. The passenger door doesn't work and neither does the rear hatch. The passenger door isn't that big of deal at the moment. You can reach over and lock and unlock it or use the key from outside. Apparently the rear hatch locking mechanism is completely electrical though. Is that correct? If so, that is a big WTF!

I can pop the rear glass with the key in the keyhole, but cannot lock the door. I haven't fooled with it much because leaving your car unlocked isn't a big deal where we live, BUT we're going to New Orleans in a couple weeks and will probably drive it. I sure as s*** would like to lock it there!

Anybody got any tips or tricks or am I stuck buying a new actuator from Toyota?:bang:

Yeah, you are going to want to lock everything up when you go to N.O. If your problem isn't solved by then, I would not risk taking it. Sorry I do not have a solution to this.

Yes, the key cylinder is simply a switch, with no mechanical function. I'm curious what the small access panel in the door panel opens up to. It may be that you could flip the lever for the lock from there.

Yes, the key cylinder is simply a switch, with no mechanical function. I'm curious what the small access panel in the door panel opens up to. It may be that you could flip the lever for the lock from there.

Thought the same thing. I took the panel you are talking about off and didn't see any reason for it to be there. I will remove entire panel this evening and dig in.

FltMed- I definatly will take another vehicle if I haven't sorted this out by then.

Yea, I have turned it both ways. Just for my knowledge, does the door immediately lock when the key is turned that way or do you have to hold it like when opening the glass?

OK I got the rear hatch lock fixed.

Determined I had power going the locking actuator, but the actuator wouldn't make so much as a noise. After taking the door panel off and looking at the actuator I noticed that it has a little plastic lever built on that can be flipped up or down by hand to control the lock. I guess maybe they designed it with failure in mind.

Anyway back to the repair.... I removed the actuator assembly including the latch from the door. The actuator itself is a little plastic box with a "Made in Vietnam" motor, limiting switch, and several plastic gears and levers inside. It is not made to be taken apart. I split it apart and removed the motor and bench tested it. It worked!

Long story short, there are two metal pins that push into the motor that provide the power. They were not making contact inside the motor. I guess over time they worked loose. Easy fix, just had to reassemble a box that wasn't made to be taken apart.

I can't help but wonder how many have paid $300 to replace these. They use a similar design on the 100 series too. You can buy the motors on Amazon and Ebay. I plan on buying a few for future repairs. I was surprised to see such a chicken-s*** design on a Toyota. Especially one still made in Japan.

I will post a link to the motors later.

... there are two metal pins that push into the motor that provide the power. They were not making contact inside the motor. ...

What is Toyota's deal with not positively attaching the connectors of electrical motors? I just had to do the front differential actuator motor soldering to get the 4wd to engage on my FJ. Why do they think metal will just magically stay together?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom