Can you swap engine and trans from a 1989 Landcruiser? How much work? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How much of the drivetrain can be directly swapped without a lot of trouble? My 71' isn't looking like stock-resto material and the brake, PS and engine upgrade sound exciting to me....

P.S. My wife is beginning to tell me to just buy a new 40 that needs no work, and part out my 71! Guess I can't lose?

My 75 gaz landcruiser fit my 79 diesel truck witouht too mutch effort (weld new motor mount and trans mount )but if you don't have any feeling for your truck, buy a good one.

I put 10 000$ and more on my 79 since 5 years and need 10 000$ more to be in really good shape... but I have more feeling for this truck then any of my ex-girlfriend.

Do you change your old wife for a new one or pay for a face lift ? that all depend on how your truck is important for you and the $$$ you can spend.

This isn't a question of liking or not liking my 71'... I believe that upgrading the engine, trans, brakes and PS is much easier to do on a rig that's not a stock capable resto-grade cruiser. cruiserparts.net sells the 89LC engine, but I have access to one that's MUCH cheaper than anything they sell. This is a total reconstruction of the 71' and I'm leaning toward swapping a bunch of the "guts" since most body panels will be coming off the frame...

ditto on what wedg3 said

Trans.....

Measure the length of the 440F and compare to the usable space in the 40 and report back.........

The engine swap has been done several times. The A440F is reported to be too long in a FJ40. So, engine yes, tranny/tc no.

How much of the drivetrain can be directly swapped without a lot of trouble? My 71' isn't looking like stock-resto material and the brake, PS and engine upgrade sound exciting to me....

P.S. My wife is beginning to tell me to just buy a new 40 that needs no work, and part out my 71! Guess I can't lose?

The auto tranny is really long but there are plenty of us putting 3FE's into our FJ40's and running the stock H42 4 speed.

See my sig for my build thread.

im currently putting a 1hdt/a442f/hf2a in my 40. the drivetrain is LONG, but i am planning on running 45 springs and lengthening the wheel base. you would also need to cut the floor because the trans is taller, well at least mine is.

Thought about it, because I found a good deal on a 89LC.... It was around $1500.00 for the whole thing....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom