Can a HJ47 Ute be Rebuilt on a $6K Budget? - Lets Find out. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok so my build has been going for a while now, and I have been documenting it on another forum but I figure I should have it on here because I ask for so much help.

The aim of this build is to totally rebuid a HJ47 landcruiser with a 5 speed and PS for less then $6,000 AU all up. I have been tracking all my costs and Im nearly out of budget, but I just might make it.

So here are the photos and any relevant commentary I can think of.

The beginning

I picked this up from an old farmer for $700.

I pulled the tray and cleaned the chassis - The rails were full of dirt and sticks.

The winder for the spare was destroyed and I doubt these shocks were doing much at all

I started pulling the cab apart.

I sprayed the chassis with rust converter to clean up the rust and leave a nice surface for the paint

I Painted the chassis with Killrust black enamel - And it came up great

I found a bit of rust

And I sanded the roof for painting

I cleaned up the rear springs and painted them

I did brake a spring retainer.

I pulled the diff and stripped it down

Cleaned the parts and painted everything

During the refit I repalced the 47 series backing plates with 60 series ones with the hamdbrake ready for the 5 speed.

And all new assemblies - New brakes, new bearings, new seals

Isnt it a thing of beauty

And fitted everyhting back together.

Hey mate, to put it in perspective, We pay $7000 for a rusty wreck here in the states, so your initial $700 is a great start, and that ute is darn tidy, for $700!! Cheers, and look forward to the build!

It's doable as long as you provide all the labor.
It looks good so far!
I look forward to your build.:cheers:

looking good... I am following this build for sure... Seeing what you get done for such a little investment...

Cleaned out the insides - That little rattle gun is gold.

Seats are dead

but I found these

The floor was a little rusted.

great build mate, great to see another aussie 47 like mine. must be an 81 year right?

Very interesting reading!
I´m allways on tight budget as well, so i´m interested to see if i can learn new tricks from your build.
Have you used this rust converter before? I´d like to give it a try, but i´m a bit skeptical about will it work or not. I´m thinking will the rust be back as bad after a year or two or will it really stop it for good?

$6k is a cheap ute. Go, go, go!

BeeJii, I had to find a good rust converter that leaves a good base for paint.

The stuff I like does a good job removing rust and enamel paint sticks really well to it without a primer, but this only works on light surface rust like I had on my chassis.

So heres the tray before

The floor needed replacement - And I only got to here before my welder died

Im in the process of re-doing the headboard and the sides now to make it more usefull for me.

Stripping the front end

I would really like to keep the bullbar but it needs a good cleanup.

I love rust free panels

After sitting for 5 years thats beautiful coolant

Now I found some small rust spots and I decided toorder some new floorpans to repalce them but then I found a whole replacement vehicle - but more about this later.

I pulled the wiring harness out

Crawled out from under the vehicle to hear the dog barking at something. Dog v. Lizard and the lizard won (dog was hiding)

Thanks, Im not moving this fast. Im just uploading the pics from the last year or so as I find them on the computer.

Currently Im finishing the tray but its raining outside so no welding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom