Building A Four Door FJ40 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I absolutely love your build and the way you kept the 40 and "pumped it up a notch" but when I showed my :princess: she had much the same reaction as I had. "That really looks cool but what's that thing there? Exhaust? Other than that I really like it!". To each their own but I find that semi-truck exhaust a distraction from the exquisite lines of the Phantom. Just my $.02 but this is truly an inspiration to us all. Keep it up and keep the pics coming.
Mike
Agreed...it's not to everyone's liking. However, I think the REAL beauty of the build (that I've strived hard to keep) is that EVERYTHING you see on the beast is removable with a simple ratchet wrench set. Exhaust, doors, roof, spare wheel cover, tub, mudguards...in short, the works.

One of these days, don't be surprised if you see a chimney-less Phantom's pictures on here!

Cheers, Mike (and the Missus, too).

Besides, the two jerry cans full of water on the passenger side for symmetry will stay cooler if they're not next to the heater.... :cheers:

Agreed...it's not to everyone's liking. However, I think the REAL beauty of the build (that I've strived hard to keep) is that EVERYTHING you see on the beast is removable with a simple ratchet wrench set. Exhaust, doors, roof, spare wheel cover, tub, mudguards...in short, the works.

One of these days, don't be surprised if you see a chimney-less Phantom's pictures on here!

Cheers, Mike (and the Missus, too).

I agree with the chimney being big and perhaps a bit over the top but the sound on the vids is awesome.:beer::cool:

Besides, the two jerry cans full of water on the passenger side for symmetry will stay cooler if they're not next to the heater.... :cheers:
I may have neglected to mention...the other side of the tub (adjacent to the smokestack) is going to be the recipient of the toolbox. I was lucky to find a bolt-down military spec tool box (which in military use also doubles as an ammo box), for the rig.This box is going to take a 1st Aid kit and some essential tools (a puncture repair kit, a wrench set, wheel spanner, hammer, pliers etc. Oh...and duct tape and WD40, of course. :D).

Hmmm @ needing water, though...

I agree with the chimney being big and perhaps a bit over the top but the sound on the vids is awesome.:beer::cool:
Funnily enough, Michael...the upright exhaust was one of the earliest "design cues" I'd wanted to incorporate in the Phantom. Personally - and I mean no disrespect to the viewpoint of those who think it's overkill - I think the looks, the sound, and the sheer presence of the stack (given that we're all discussing it's pros and cons so animatedly) justifies its existence on the beast. I mean...you either love it, or love to hate it. Can it really get any better reactions than that? :D

FouadHafeez said:
...you either love it, or love to hate it. Can it really get any better reactions than that? :D

Very fine line there.

Sent from my iPad using IH8MUD

Ever since you painted it black i have been :bang:......... I always thought of it was Rustic green.

As per the dilemma on previous pages regarding saif-ul-malook lake am adding a self taken picture.

Fouad if you say so i can add some more pictures regarding Pakistan, showing how daily life really is here.
IMG_7784.jpg

Stock crew cab landcruiser

I ran into Chris, the local farrier today at the landfill. He was driving his 1984 HJ47 RHD diesel crew cab Land Cruiser. His truck was originally sold in Australia and he imported it to US.
It has front & back doors on the left side, in this case passenger side and one door on right hand, driver's side. He tells me they were sold as the chassis with cab and fitted with various utility beds behind the cab, in his case an aluminum flatbed.
This is essentially a crew cab 4 door FJ45 yet missing the 4th door access to the back seat on the driver's side. Sorry, no picture. I cannot find any record of this model on the internet.

I ran into Chris, the local farrier today at the landfill. He was driving his 1984 HJ47 RHD diesel crew cab Land Cruiser. His truck was originally sold in Australia and he imported it to US.
It has front & back doors on the left side, in this case passenger side and one door on right hand, driver's side. He tells me they were sold as the chassis with cab and fitted with various utility beds behind the cab, in his case an aluminum flatbed.
This is essentially a crew cab 4 door FJ45 yet missing the 4th door access to the back seat on the driver's side. Sorry, no picture. I cannot find any record of this model on the internet.

Sounds like an Arkana.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/fj45-owners-club/187049-fj45-arkana.html

I believe this is what the HJ47 looks like:

This is where I found the pics: http://cars.yakaz.com.au/hj47-landcruiser-for-sale

Ever since you painted it black i have been :bang:......... I always thought of it was Rustic green.

As per the dilemma on previous pages regarding saif-ul-malook lake am adding a self taken picture.

Fouad if you say so i can add some more pictures regarding Pakistan, showing how daily life really is here.
You never know...it might STILL be Rustic Green. The jury is still out on the final colours...although Dune Beige is leading the pack!

It would be a pleasure for you to post pictures of Pakistan here, qwertypoiu. Every now or then, I add a few myself...with THAT very purpose; to show an alternative side of Pakistan. Something that reflects the life and vibrancy and vitality of our country and its people...rather than the criminal insanity of a filthy few. So...yeah. It would be my pleasure, mate. Cheers.

That's an interesting concept: to have a rear door on just one side...although I'm still trying to wrap my head around WHY there should be just one door and not two. However, I think this exemplifies the beauty of the 40 Series; it enables you to do just about anything to it...and it'll still pull it off, each and every time! Thanks for the post, Cleg.

Interesting read, Alex. And those are some HOT rigs!

For a VERY long time, my plans with the Phantom WERE to build a king-cab rather than double-cab rig, modeled after the HJ47. It was only much later, that the decision to go "four door" was taken. My reasoning at the time of change of decision was that building the double cabin would be only slightly more time-consuming and difficult, than the extended single cabin. How wrong I was!

One of these days, though...who knows....

Thanks for the pitchers! :D

It's 10:30 in the morning, here. It's raining - the fag end of Monsoon has arrived - and Mother Nature seems kind to the parched land. Trickle-thick perennial streams have swollen into somewhat larger ones. We're surrounded by fields that are full of mud and slush. The gullies and gulches and ravines of the Potohar Plateau (where Islamabad and its twin city Rawalpindi are located) are looking beautiful. The weather is nice and cool after weeks on end of incredibly hot sun. Perfect off-roading weather! :D

Today, we go wheeling!

The bunch that I am accompanying are some of the most madcap ORV (off road vehicle) owwners I've ever met...from a group called the Islamabad Jeep Club or IJC (please forgive them for being parochial towards J**ps!).

The IJC is a bunch of hardcore, diehard off-road enthusiasts, which comprises of businessmen, doctors, engineers, entrepeneurs, and civil servants alike; united by a common love for the sport of off-roading. Whilst I'm still not yet a "full member"...they insist I'm yet to show that I'm a productive member of the group :)...this group of philanthropists, enthusiasts, and generally cool bunch of madcap individuals is very much a cross-section of HOW we Pakistanis ARE. In some subsequent posts, I hope to be able to showcase the charitable work and humanitarian angle to this terrific bunch of people...and also highlight some of the weird off-road activities we engage in!

So...in the next few hours, hopefully, I'll have a ton of photos to share the Phantom's first real outing with you. We'll finally get to see if this rig actually does deliver...or whether it's all just flashing lights and whistles :D

Wish me luck!

:beer:

Crew cab HJ47

Yes, Like the pictures above of the HJ47 but with a cab that extends maybe another 3 feet to over the back wheels and a 2nd door on the right hand side for access to the back seat area. The utility bed is fairly short like a Ford Explorer Sport Trac. The owner claims it is all stock.
The next time I see it parked I'll get a picture to post.

Some teasers...the action pics will follow in due course of time.

Master Shayaan Hafeez On His "Little Phantom"

Miscellaneous ORVs - Yes, It's Really THAT Green!

No, We Do NOT Like J**ps!

River Crossing Anyone?

Last edited:
That's an interesting concept: to have a rear door on just one side...although I'm still trying to wrap my head around WHY there should be just one door and not two.

the old chevy suburbans were like that, one rear door on the passenger side. I always assumed it was for safety, so that passengers were not walking around into the traffic side of the vehicle. still a bit unhandy, and they must have figured that out, since they stopped making them like that.

An Appraisal Of The Day

First off, we were going into today's wheeling session with an untried, untested beast. Sure, me and my boy had done some light wheeling around the place we live...but today marked a departure from all of that.

The chosen area is called Rawat, which is a short distance from the twin cities of Islamabad and Rawalpindi. It's quite famous for its rough terrain; which can range from dry, dusty and gravelly in the dry season to the finest, siltiest slush in the wet! Gullies, gulches, gorges, riverbeds, ravines...this place has it all.

The Phantom was put through its paces through 3-4 feet of standing water (read: slushy ponds), some slippery slopes and some river-crossings, where I'm happy to report that the beast performed exceptionally well. I DID manage to get it stuck belly deep in a mud-spur on the river bank, though (a considerable feat to say the least, given the fact that it's so freakishly tall AND wears 42 inch tyres!)...and was very obligingly inertia-strap-towed out by a 100 Series friend.

The Phantom's first "battle scar": a "de-eyed" front right shock. Yes, Mum...our little boy has finally come of age!

The rest of the time was spent towing out some friends (if we do NOT retrieve every vehicle from some drift, or gulch, or mud-pit at least once, we all go home mumbling "we didn't have any fun, today". Yes...we're somewhat weird, like that :D)

Now...this rig needs differential locks. There's no doubt left in my mind about that. Torue is exceptional. Power is sublime. Traction; not so much. The encounter in the mud-pit tends to confirm that. And given its extreme origins, and the grievous bodily harm I'm likely to inflict upon it in the days to come...the very nature of the beast demands that the rig be fitted with diff locks. This is a bit of a dilemma, since the Series 60 axles, once fitted with a 7:37 crown/pinion do NOT take conventional Toyota diff locks. And the very performance of the 7:37 ratios is so incredibly satisfying in terms of grunt, acceleration, economy, and takeoff, that the question of a return to 10:41 or 9:37 or 10:37 diffs can be ruled out as a no-brainer.

ARB air lockers might be the way to go. In fact...they might be the ONLY way to go. And despite the (very) steep price they will cost...I think the beast NEEDS them, in order to stay on top of things (LITERALLY!).

Hmmm. Why am I salivating at the thought of lockable differentials with a 5.29 diff ratio setup? Pavlovian Reflex much, Fouad? :D

Some teasers...the action pics will follow in due course of time.

Master Shayaan Hafeez On His "Little Phantom"

Miscellaneous ORVs - Yes, It's Really THAT Green!

No, We Do NOT Like J**ps!
http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/2185/20120909162842.jpg

great looking rigs!

River Crossing Anyone?
http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/8121/20120909165528.jpg

Fouad, these are great looking rigs! The river crossing is mere childs play for the Phantom with its [FONT=&quot]enormously[/FONT] timber high stance and exceptionally aggressive muds, it's an awesome machine!
Enjoy the ride!!:cheers::beer:

Mike

the old chevy suburbans were like that, one rear door on the passenger side. I always assumed it was for safety, so that passengers were not walking around into the traffic side of the vehicle. still a bit unhandy, and they must have figured that out, since they stopped making them like that.
Ahhhh...no wonder I was finding it difficult to wrap my head around a single rear door. The blokes at Chevy gave up on it, too! :D

Looks like fun Fouad!

Lets see some more.

Don
It WAS fun, Don. Awesome terrain, great weather, terrific camaraderie. My son loved every minute of it, and we got to spend a great time with one another. The rig performed well. What more can one ask for? :)

now these are some mean toyota's....True, Pakistani love Toyota's
Doesn't everyone?! :D

Fouad, these are great looking rigs! The river crossing is mere childs play for the Phantom with its [FONT=&quot]enormously[/FONT] timber high stance and exceptionally aggressive muds, it's an awesome machine!
Enjoy the ride!!:cheers::beer:

Mike
Cheers, Mike!

It was QUITE the eclectic mix of vehicles (I'll be posting some of them, after permish from their owners).

I spotted at LEAST four Series 40 TLCs. One with a 1HZ (Phantom), one with a 1UZ, one with a 2F and one with a 3F!
A couple of 80 Series, with 1FZ-FE engines.
A 100 Series.
A Nissan Patrol Pickup.
A Mitsubishi Pajero V6.
A GMC Suburban.
A Land Rover Discovery.
A Russian UAZ.
An FZJ79, with a 1FZ-FE engine (mine).
Four Jeep TJs.
A couple of CJ5s.
A couple of MUTTs (M151s).
A couple of Suzuki SJs.

QUITE the mixed bag!