Building A Four Door FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The Spare Wheel Mount - Some More Ornamentation

20120903171609.jpg

Some TLC for the TLC

20120903180005.jpg

NO...this is NOT a @#$%ing Jeep

20120903182747.jpg

Some more pictures tomorrow, folks!

:beer:

In fact...LOTS more pictures, tomorrow!

This is similar to the grand finale of a firework show... A lot of oh's and ah's at the spectacular display. I only hope there is more to come.

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

Well at least I like your two-wheelers Fouad .... even if no-one else is leaping forward to say so.

(Makes me wonder what the repsonse would be if I were to show some of my clock collection on ih8mud.... :D)

Well at least I like your two-wheelers Fouad .... even if no-one else is leaping forward to say so.

(Makes me wonder what the repsonse would be if I were to show some of my clock collection on ih8mud.... :D)

I'd love to see your clock collection.

As always Tom, you spoil me with your words of appreciation. Thanks, mate.

Hmm...funny you should mention that Mike...'cos so would *I* love to see the clock collection! After Biryani recipes and 4bhp motorcycles...antique clocks sounds JUST the thing. :D

Perhaps we need a new thread somewhere in the bowels of ih8mud..."Sinister Side-Shows That Exist On The Dark Fringes Of Toyota Tech"...

This is similar to the grand finale of a firework show... A lot of oh's and ah's at the spectacular display. I only hope there is more to come.
You know, mate...I'm pretty sure there is more to come. I've mentally resigned to fate that this build is never going to truly end. It's simply going to...evolve. I just hope that my chronicles of its evolution - interspersed with the bizarre anecdotes I sometimes narrate - don't bore everyone to death!

As always Tom, you spoil me with your words of appreciation. Thanks, mate.

Hmm...funny you should mention that Mike...'cos so would *I* love to see the clock collection! After Biryani recipes and 4bhp motorcycles...antique clocks sounds JUST the thing. :D

Perhaps we need a new thread somewhere in the bowels of ih8mud..."Sinister Side-Shows That Exist On The Dark Fringes Of Toyota Tech"...

Fouad I agreed we'd need a new thread, perhaps lostmarbles can start one, call it "Clocks".

..Hmm...funny you should mention that Mike...'cos so would *I* love to see the clock collection! After Biryani recipes and 4bhp motorcycles...antique clocks sounds JUST the thing. :D..Perhaps we need a new thread somewhere in the bowels of ih8mud..."Sinister Side-Shows That Exist On The Dark Fringes Of Toyota Tech"...

Fouad I agreed we'd need a new thread, perhaps lostmarbles can start one, call it "Clocks".

I dunno about a whole thread dedicated to clocks. But a few posts going off on mild tangents (like Cooking, Vespas and Clocks) has got to be healthy for everyone... Right? (Trying to understand other OCD-suffers is good mind exercise.)

Be thankful that none of us so far has confessed to collecting teaspoons. (Apparantly some people do!) So we must be vigilant! Teaspoons would certainly be a step too far! And THOSE SORTS OF PEOPLE are the ones we should immediately ostracise if they ever have the nerve to turn up in our midst and contaminate our beloved landcruiser site with their petty perversions. :mad:

On the other hand, old things with dials and hands are stimulating to mechanically-minded people like us who appreciate style and craftsmanship! No?

Not only old clocks but old barometers, voltmeters, ammeters, bla bla bla... But being old and having "dials and hands" doesn't capture it really because my barographs have "revolving drums and pointers/scribers" but yet they still intrigue me in the same way. :meh:

But as far as clocks go, my real love is the ones with the dangling hypnotic pendulums .... ("Ours is not to reason why" as they say.) However those clocks (about 20 of them) are presently packed away awaiting my building of display shelves. So I'm limited to photographing the few less-flamboyant clocks that I have on display.

Enjoy! ....

Clocks1.jpg

Clocks2.jpg

Clocks3.jpg

Almost as good as looking at THE PHANTOM eh Fouad?

PS. All clocks have to be screwed/wired down because it's rather like San Francisco here. We have the odd earthquake and are constantly expecting THE BIG ONE....
Clocks1.jpg
Clocks2.jpg
Clocks3.jpg

I dunno about a whole thread dedicated to clocks. But a few posts going off on mild tangents (like Cooking, Vespas and Clocks) has got to be healthy for everyone... Right? (Trying to understand other OCD-suffers is good mind exercise.)

Be thankful that none of us so far has confessed to collecting teaspoons. (Apparantly some people do!) So we must be vigilant! Teaspoons would certainly be a step too far! And THOSE SORTS OF PEOPLE are the ones we should immediately ostracise if they ever have the nerve to turn up in our midst and contaminate our beloved landcruiser site with their petty perversions. :mad:

On the other hand, old things with dials and hands are stimulating to mechanically-minded people like us who appreciate style and craftsmanship! No?

Not only old clocks but old barometers, voltmeters, ammeters, bla bla bla... But being old and having "dials and hands" doesn't capture it really because my barographs have "revolving drums and pointers/scribers" but yet they still intrigue me in the same way. :meh:

But as far as clocks go, my real love is the ones with the dangling hypnotic pendulums .... ("Ours is not to reason why" as they say.) However those clocks (about 20 of them) are presently packed away awaiting my building of display shelves. So I'm limited to photographing the few less-flamboyant clocks that I have on display.

Enjoy! ....

View attachment 671252

View attachment 671253

View attachment 671254

PS. All clocks have to be screwed/wired down because it's rather like San Francisco here. We have the odd earthquake and are constantly expecting THE BIG ONE....

Beautiful time pieces!! Thank you for sharing your clock collection. If you find the time for more pics I'd love to see them.
Thanks again!

Cheers :beer:

Mike

I just loved the way you made that sound, Tom. "Spinach...it's GOOD for you, yeah?" :D

Absolutely. I mean...extreme cutlery?! Er...no thanks.

On the other hand, old things with dials and hands are stimulating to mechanically-minded people like us who appreciate style and craftsmanship! No? Not only old clocks but old barometers, voltmeters, ammeters, bla bla bla... But being old and having "dials and hands" doesn't capture it really because my barographs have "revolving drums and pointers/scribers" but yet they still intrigue me in the same way. :meh:

I loved the photographs. Being an ardent admirer of the fusion of form and function, clocks, barometers, voltmeters, and the like are indeed exactly that: a seamless blend of practicality and ergonomics.

LOL...ALMOST, Tom. Almost. :D

Thanks for the lovely post. As always, it's wonderful to see some discussion on the interesting "asides" that make us unique individuals. I mean...like you said earlier...it HAS to be therapeutic for us. Right?

P.S. We had better NOT get any teaspoon collectors threatening to bash down our doors. So there.

Fouad,

I like the Old scooter pics and anything else that is old that gets restored! (except the teaspoon thing). Feel free to post pics of anything that is cool. Love the new pics of the Phantom and those seats look great.

Don

love the old Vespas. my step-father had a couple when I was growing up, but they were not so beautiful as these.
I would like to share a photo with you that I took in Berkkely, CA some years back. I was in a book store when I heard the ruckus, followed by the strong smell of exhaust and gasoline, and I had to see what was going on. The entire block was filled with Vespas and other scooters (must have been 40 - 50), all keeping their revs up (I am guessing so they wouldn't die) at the red light. Unfortunately, my lens was not wide enough to capture the whole gang, nor could I have scooted back enough to get them if it was, and I didn't have much time to get more angles. The light turned green, and they were off. This cross section was the best I got, but I have always liked this photo.

vespas.jpg

for some reason I have a strong urge to melt down all my teaspoons now

Here's my little mule, even though is a rhino. I thought we'd spice things up a bit. More pics available in my sig under my other rig.
Wow! What a lovely rig, Mike!

Fouad,

I like the Old scooter pics and anything else that is old that gets restored! (except the teaspoon thing). Feel free to post pics of anything that is cool. Love the new pics of the Phantom and those seats look great.

Don
Thanks, Don. The seats are a real treat, when it comes to function, too. Your bum and spine are nicely snuggled in them, and the driving position - something which I never realised was lax on the OEM seats - is absolutely perfect. The interior of the Phantom is going to wait for a while, though. I'm going to set up the air-conditioning, the heating, the wiring, the brand new (old) instrument cluster, the dash plate (with all its function buttons), the wiring, some HID headlights, a tachometer, and some other goodies that pertain to electricals and the like. The rig will also be getting a sound system - ANYTHING to drown out the bellow of that exhaust stack! And finally, after we're done painting it, we'll see how we can upholster and refurbish the seats and the insides of the rig. Will be posting pictures, of course.

love the old Vespas. my step-father had a couple when I was growing up, but they were not so beautiful as these.
I would like to share a photo with you that I took in Berkkely, CA some years back. I was in a book store when I heard the ruckus, followed by the strong smell of exhaust and gasoline, and I had to see what was going on. The entire block was filled with Vespas and other scooters (must have been 40 - 50), all keeping their revs up (I am guessing so they wouldn't die) at the red light. Unfortunately, my lens was not wide enough to capture the whole gang, nor could I have scooted back enough to get them if it was, and I didn't have much time to get more angles. The light turned green, and they were off. This cross section was the best I got, but I have always liked this photo.

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz11/twoyotas/IH8MUD/vespas.jpg

for some reason I have a strong urge to melt down all my teaspoons now
What a marvelous sight! And what a fabulous capture, to boot. The Vespa which I have was used by my Dad, when he was in his early twenties. Very much a time of "teddy" pants and pointy shoes! Whilst I don't ride the scooter much, it does get a spin every now or then. Reassuring to have a slice of family history still with me!

And yeah...no teaspoon collections, please. :D

My first vehicle was a 1956 Vespa GS, I pushed it about as much
as I rode it.
This is what a friend of mine's wife does with old teaspoons,
collectors beware, www.wristybusiness.net
My OCD;
radios 009.jpg

now that I think back, my first moving violation was on a Vespa...

My first vehicle was a 1956 Vespa GS, I pushed it about as much
as I rode it.
This is what a friend of mine's wife does with old teaspoons,
collectors beware, www.wristybusiness.net
My OCD;

Wow!

You're one of us alright!! :clap:( A kindred spirit ... as they say... whoever THEY may be .....)

I love those radios!

And I can also relate to anyone else here who collects cameras, microscopes, ships compasses, fire extinguishers, and other well-made old stuff .... especially if it incorporates polished/precision-engineered noble metals.

:hmm: Being irresistably drawn into collecting things for no logical reason sort of puts us on the same level as beady-eyed small-brained magpies don't you think? (Sorry Alex/Rockcrawler. I know you have a pet magpie over there in Melbourne and I mean no offence to its intelligence by this observation.)

I'm thoroughly confused about it all really.

My :princess: wears a smaller bike helmet than me yet she must still be regarded as "normal" because you should have heard her "normal-person-moan" when I placed this magnificent nostalgic masterpiece in it's new permanent position in our lounge:

Lantern.jpg

OK. So there's no noble metals there. And it's not a clock, radio, camera, barometer or any of those other lovely things I've already mentioned. But it is old, made in New Zealand (and not just that, it's actually made in my home town) and it brings back all important memories of youth.

Imagine people doing roadworks and lighting a candle or kerosene burner to put inside one of those today!

Truth is. I've given up trying to fathom out the mysterious forces that drive us (God's chosen few) to do what we do.

And I do love art .... provided the artist is "a kindred spirit". So I do admire your friend's wife for bashing/melting disgusting spoons into creative and exquisite jewellery.

I sometimes try to be artisticly-creative too..

Here's exhibit A. With this clock I incorporated another magpie-find (a coat-of-arms) into its mounting-base:

YetAnutherClock.jpg

If that's not art then nothing is. Eh? Or do I really have a warped sense of art? (And do I care if I do? And who's asking all these damned questions anyway?)

And here's the fireplace I'm presently working on that'll eventually incorporate 19 antique chromed brass hinges, a fire extingusher or two, 3 brass ducks, a dentist's gold-filling-melting oven, a submarine periscope base, and ............ (No I won't go on cos you've already got the idea.)

Fireplace.jpg

It's a LONG way from finished, so you only have a faint idea of what the final "masterpiece" will look like from this...

BTW - I do hope no-one here thinks I've lost my marbles.......... from this here "expose-ay".

I can actually feel my life's work rising to a crescendo .... What will my next project be after the fireplace? No doubt the demons will plant another seed while I sleep!

Sorry Fouad. But you started this diversion with your 2-wheeler pic. We should ideally be in the "chat" forum with all this now. Trouble is, instead of "kindred spirits, there I see crackpots. (Although they are indeed a very FINE bunch of crackpots ... And I feel i must add this because I know some of us become lost and weaken to the point where we actually post there on occasions too.)
YetAnutherClock.jpg
Fireplace.jpg
Lantern.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom