Builds Build? 1988 62 daily driver over improvements... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Short back story. My first vehicle was a 1971 Fj40 (in 1983). I hope to find some old pics at some point. It had a 350/3spd then had it rebuilt (I blew it up!) and put in a 4spd. Fast forward to now I purchased this 1988 FJ62 with 109k miles on it from a dealership no less $9500.00 OTD.
The very first day of ownership the radiator went so I replaced that with the CSF and then another within a year and now it has a Champion, so far so good.

My plans were just to have solid old unique 62 that made me smile every time I drove it. It didn't take long for that to change since I was driving it daily commuting on a winding road then having to get on the freeway, so the thoughts and dreams of upgrading started.

So now after 4-5 years of ownership and about 75,000 miles and upgrades and still doing the next best thing (IMO) to it, heres a quick list and some pics,
because we all love pics, well I do.

I cleaned the inside and put in sound deadening material on the floor, doors and rear quarters. Made a nice difference. If I could do a do over I would have pulled out the OEM patches, but they were clean so I just went over the top.

Then it was off to @orangefj45 Valley Hybirds to have the lift and front brakes upgraded.

Then almost a year later I had @orangefj45 do the H55f swap, a must as far as I’m concerned unless your doing a v8 swap.

Then added a front bumper from @TRAIL TAILOR and sliders.

Then dual batteries by @orangefj45

Roof Rack, Tent and Awning from @TRAIL TAILOR

Now it is at @TRAIL TAILOR to get 80 axles done. Full ARB lockers, new rear bumper and possible front bumper ($$) maybe a few other goodies TBD.

More to come.

IMG_1324.jpg

IMG_1387.jpg

ARBs and gears set up.

Rear will go under next week. Probably Xmas day.......... HA

J
Nice! wouldn't be complete without a couple teaser pics! Rear waiting patiently! Rear cleaned up and ready for re-assembly.

IMG_20191221_090334043.jpg

IMG_20191221_101128713.jpg

IMG_20191221_111943326.jpg

IMG_20191214_112601663.jpg

IMG_20191227_092137507.jpg

Last edited:
Great guy with one of the cleanest 62 out there. Rock on my friend. Mister jobs
Thank you!, you inspired me to move forward with this conversion. I liked watching yours come along. Now I get to watch Jason do mine. I wish I was closer so I could be there to help, but that would cost more! HA!

Did you get a Terrain Tamer lift from Georg? If so, I'd love an opinion on it. Considering it when I do the upgrade.

Did you get a Terrain Tamer lift from Georg? If so, I'd love an opinion on it. Considering it when I do the upgrade.
Nope ended up with the OME and then a year later I switched to the Tough Dog. I would try doing a search on Terrain Tamer I do remember there is a thread on peoples impressions. I can recommend the Tough Dog though.

Great looking truck. As we (60 series owners) plan improvements in overall drive ability it’s always good to get real time feedback from projects like yours. How is the H55 and what is your diff gear ratio you’re running

Cheers!

Joel

Thank you. The H55 was the key to me keeping my 62 it made it fun to drive and more manageable getting on the freeway. Thats why Im doing what I'm doing now. The 3FE is no V8 but it handles my daily driving no problem. Yes it struggles on long uphill roads, I guess if I had a lot of those or I towed with it I would want a v8 (it is on the want list next year) but for now I do love the combo. I'm stock 4:11's (32.9" tire size).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom