brake rotor reccomendation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 2000 cruiser needs new front brakes. The rotors are currently pulsating badly. They were resurfaced about a year ago and were fine up till about 6 months ago. I want to replace the front rotors this time. I work at a toyota dealer and can get oem discs at a discount. I am also considering brembo regular non slotted and non drilled discs. Looks like a nice piece at a reasonable cost. Anyone have any suggestions regarding new front discs. Should I get the brembos or oem or something else.

Can you resurface Toyota rotors? I've been told not to.

Another install and vote for jonesys. I did their kit with the ceramic pads. A noticeable difference. Great service too.

front rotors

I recommend the Slee rotors and I used NAPA's premium gold pads. Huge difference, much better (smoother) feel during hard braking

IMG-20130505-00059.jpg

IMG-20130505-00056.jpg

IMG-20130505-00057.jpg

I also used the slee rotors with powerstop pads. About a year in now and couldn't be happier.

I heard bad things about drilled and slotted rotors. Anyone try brembo with good results? Anyone have bad results with oem? I will be using oem pads.

DBA slotted

I used Brembo rotors on my 80. They are ok, nothing special, not like the high-end Brembo components sold for sports cars, etc. I have also turned the Toyota rotors about a year ago. Getting slight pulsation again. Won't do that again, I don't think.

Next time I would get the Powerstop rotors (I think these are what Christo is selling) or DBA, etc.

Oem rotors and Hawk LTS pads. Have a heavy LC 7000+ lbs and these work great for me. Follow the bedding procedure! If you have enough meat left on your rotors have them turned. And Hawk pads are reasonably priced.

Your rotors are warping due to heat, resurfacing and or replacing with stock rotors will not achieve anything but, more warped rotors.

You need drilled and slotted rotors. Slotted rotors at minimum if you are concerned about cross drilled rotors for off road use. :cheers:

My 2000 cruiser needs new front brakes. The rotors are currently pulsating badly. They were resurfaced about a year ago and were fine up till about 6 months ago. I want to replace the front rotors this time. I work at a toyota dealer and can get oem discs at a discount. I am also considering brembo regular non slotted and non drilled discs. Looks like a nice piece at a reasonable cost. Anyone have any suggestions regarding new front discs. Should I get the brembos or oem or something else.

I too had your same braking issues. I swapped all four rotors/pads for the Powerstop kit from Amazon, and now it stops like a sports car! highly recommend upgraded rotors to the stock ones. Roughly $450

I just installed Powerslots from Slee a little over a month ago on my front rotors because the last pair pulsed so bad after a rotor turn. Went on a big road trip (1000 Miles) and live in the mountains. Couldn't be happier with the results. Big improvement over stock rotors. I went with OEM pads which is what Slee recommended. Worth every penny IMO. I too have weighed getting drilled and slotted for other vehicles and this is the first time doing so. I believe they cool better and bite a lot better with the drilled/slotted combination. The version Slee sells is also pretty mild on the drilling as you can see from the photos above.

I installed the kinetic rotors with powerstop pads from brakemotive and have been very pleased. They were a quality rotor and the price is excellent. All of the rotors are made in China now and finished domestically, but I honestly cannot tell the difference. These are not going an a race application and will be more than enough.

Last edited:
I've had good luck with OEM, Brembo and Autozone Duralast blanks. IMO, slotted and/or drilled are not needed. The do not offer any better cooling, as stock blanks are already vented. Get good quality rotors (as mentioned above, not some cheap eBay junk), a good set of pads (I like OEM and Hawk), and bed in properly. Also, after hard use of brakes, do not sit and hold the brake. That will cause "warping." By the way, brakes do not warp.

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/-warped-brake-disc-and-other-myths

Also used Jonesy's with the powerstop pads. Very happy with the rotors, pads and service from Jonesy's.

They also have a great video on how to do the install..:).

Cheers.

Pulsating brakes are from uneven brake deposits 90% of the time. They feel warped,but may not actually be warped. At any rate new rotors and pads will certainly cure your problem....yes they could be warped, but over heating of cheap or oem pads that are not designed to hold up to extreme heat will leave pad material if you stay on the brakes when stopped after a hard stop.
I went with Centric rotors (non cryo treated) and hawk hps pads. AWESOME stopping power. The harder I brake, the more they bite.
It took me years of "warped" rotors to realize my driving habits and cheap pads were my real problem.

Pulsating brakes are from uneven brake deposits 90% of the time. They feel warped,but may not actually be warped. At any rate new rotors and pads will certainly cure your problem....yes they could be warped, but over heating of cheap or oem pads that are not designed to hold up to extreme heat will leave pad material if you stay on the brakes when stopped after a hard stop.
I went with Centric rotors (non cryo treated) and hawk hps pads. AWESOME stopping power. The harder I brake, the more they bite.
It took me years of "warped" rotors to realize my driving habits and cheap pads were my real problem.

This man knows the truth.

Those in the know, including road racers, avoid blanks modified with slotted/cross drilled rotors like the plague, including those shown above. They are cosmetic when done this way and do nothing but cause stress risers/points for failure. Not to be mistaken with real BBK/Brembo level brakes where these features are an integral part of the design.

It's all about quality manufactured blanks with sufficient mass (un-cut) to sink heat, dampening temps from exceeding the MOT of quality pads, and causing uneven pad deposits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom