Blown head gasket repair, older siamese "F" block. (1962/3) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
20140928_174209.jpg
20140928_174221.jpg
I'm going to post some pics from my phone, but I'll be back to edit with details (after I wash my hands and get to a keyboard).
Thanks in advance, I know the answers are here, it's just been years since I read the thread

My rig is a 62/63 but the motor wasn't original (or so I heard)
I believe the donor motor was a 67

Last edited:
20140928_183741.jpg
Fj25 manifold. Round intake, horizontal rectangular exhaust.

The donor has all vertical rectangles

Okay, so here's the deal:
A few years ago (when I was still living in Wyoming), my motor took a dump. I was never too sure why, and when I ran the compression numbers I came back with a dead number five cylinder. I never bothered to check the number six.
About the same time a buddy of mine was doing a 2f swap and gave me an f for the price of shipping and some beer.

Flash forward (minus a u-haul and a 500 mile move), and I decided last weekend to swap the motors.
Finances are super tight, so I've been running on as little as possible.

This was (of course) distressing.

I'm going to research the numbers at this point, and see what years the blocks are from, and what my cheapest options are at this point.

It also leads me to wonder if some of these parts are hard to come by, and whether someone is in need of some of this stuff.
I plan on bringing this rig as close to stock as possible, but I am not overly particular about whether it has the "correct" motor.
If someone out there is doing a factory restore and needs this stuff, I'm open to a trade for the parts I need.

I just need a running rig at this point.

I'm also wondering if the heads will swap, as that might be the cheapest fix out of the mess I'm in.
Does anybody know the compatibility of the two blocks, and if this is a bad idea?

Thanks-Josh

I'm also wondering if the heads will swap, as that might be the cheapest fix out of the mess I'm in.
Does anybody know the compatibility of the two blocks, and if this is a bad idea?

Thanks-Josh

Thought all F135 were pretty much the same. Changes were on parts that bolted on like carburetor and distributor. SOR only shows one cylinder head 58-67 https://www.sor.com/cat050.sor . Think the later head during this time may have had a second port on the head by the temperature sender port. This was for a heater hose.

well.....crap

I didn't realize that there was a stamp number on the passenger side. The new block =f375939

The vin plate reads f170937
2fj40-16308

the frame reads 2 fj40-16308

the old block reads...f170937

I say crap, because I never cared much about swapping out the motor on this, because i had been told that it already had a donor motor.
If I'm reading this right, I have a numbers matching motor on a rig that has 39k miles on it.

I'm leery of swapping anything now, and would love some insight on which way to jump.

Most early f motor problems I have seen are valve problems, stuck or burnt valves. Pull the head to see whats going on, if your other head is siamese port you can swap them. Common on 62, 63, 40's to have the leftover fj25 intakes!

Just noticed the other head is later, not sure if its compatible, rocker oiling is a bit different but you maybe able to adapt it, but I would want the early matching head.

Hey whitey, thanks for chiming in.

Do you recall anything about this rig? I can't recall if you bought it or sold it to morgan, or the full details of either, and that was the week that mud lost a bunch of posts.

Would you mind telling me (again, sorry) what you recall about it?

20405 is that the old block?

What is the F engine number on that one?
the oldest block is f170937
the newer is f375939

I haven't pulled the head yet, but that seems my next logical step.

My birthday is april 14th, my son's april 11th, and my sister's (I kid you not) is April 5th.

Thanks for running the numbers. The bezel and hard top vent always gave it away as a 62. Cool to heal further details.

Maybe you even just blew out the gasket between 5&6

How were the #rs in the other cylinders? You remember?
That would be nice. It ran well before it happened. It just seemd too sudden. I assumed I had bent a rod or something, but when I popped the vc all the lifters looked to be doing exactly as they should. That's when I assumed I had a hole in my piston (or something else catastrophic).

It also still ran within temp range, and I would have thought that would spike.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom