Bike Rack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone out there a cyclist or mountain biker? I am looking into changing my bike rack configuration. Right now, i have the roof rack and I am getting sick of throwing my bikes up on the top. What are you guys using for racks? I like the fork mounted rack, cuz you can lock them, and don't really feel like buying new ones. I'm thinking custom...

Thanks
IMG00029-20101110-1119.jpg
IMG00028-20101110-1119.jpg

have a member of your family ride it while you tow it to your destination...?

Thule T2....

My being short and my shoulder problems. I have given up on roof rack system. I sold my racks. I've thought about hitch mount rack, but at this point, I just throw it in the back. I think easier than doing hitch mount.

I have a friend who got hitch mount and he says it is better to throw in the back. Much easier.

I've been using a Thule T2. It cost a bunch, but you don't have to be 12 feet tall to use it, don't have to worry about parking garages, and you keep a dirty bike out of the car.

Does the Thule T2 let you open the tailgate with the bikes on the rack.
At least just the top part of the tailgate?

I am looking for something where I can fit 2 adult bikes and a kids bike. Hopefully keep all the wheels on.
I hated having to climb up to put the bike on the roof rack of my last car. Especially the rack where I had to take the front wheel off.

I've got an older version of the Yakima Swingdaddy that fits on the hitch. It fits four bikes, has a cable lock, and swings out of the way to open the back, but is pricey ($$).

I've started to purchase more gear for the top though and use the Front Runner rails to attach the Yakima Control Towers when we use the hitch to tow.

If you tow and use a hitch mount bike rack you could also get a dual hitch - use the top for the bike rack and the bottom to tow.

Edit: When I don't want to use the hitch mount or want the bike to be secure, I use a 2 x 4 with a Blockhead attached and put the bike in the vehicle.

Lots of options...
Dual-hitch.jpg

Last edited:
hitch rack for sure, i would go with either a thule t2 or a saris cycle on pro. both hitch mounted racks, both super solid. not only more aerodynamic, but being behind the vehicle helps protect the bikes as well (in most situations.) make sure to get the threaded lock insert if you do go with a hitch rack to prevent that side to side play.

I know it's on an 80, but that double receiver idea(above), is a great option IMO. :cheers:

eidt:
Mines a Thule of some sort, but definitely get a fold down one because the ride height of the top tubes are almost perfectly in line with the average adult human eyeball. Parking lot nightmare when you don't have bikes on and didn't feel like taking the rack off the back. :)
P1012962.JPG

Last edited:
I also have a Thule hitch mount. It looks like this one.

954 Ridgeline - Thule - Thule Bike Racks - Rack Bike Hitch

It can fold down so that you can open the top half of the rear hatch with the bikes still on it. I love it. Also they seem to be built pretty tough. My parents also have this one on their Sequoia and it had no frame damage after they got rear ended. Only thing that broke was one of the rubber tie downs that holds the bikes.

A good question...I have my mounted in a Yakima Megawarrior basket. I like the hitch idea but hate when the bikes get trashed via the dust and dirt from the Utah desert roads. There have been times where I didn't recognize my bikes back there....I have stuck to the roof...good luck!

I thought we already covered this subject in the random semi-tech chat?

I use the Thule T2, holds our 45lb Scott Gamblers perfectly.
attachment.php

Does the Thule T2 let you open the tailgate with the bikes on the rack.
At least just the top part of the tailgate?

I am looking for something where I can fit 2 adult bikes and a kids bike. Hopefully keep all the wheels on.
I hated having to climb up to put the bike on the roof rack of my last car. Especially the rack where I had to take the front wheel off.

you can fully open the liftgate/tailgate, and even roll out my AO drawers no problem when the bikes are folded down. Keep the kids bike in the back...or strapped to the roof.

I love my Softride. See here and here. We're leaving for Clearwater Beach, FL, and the Ironman World Championship 70.3 within the hour (18 hour drive) and my wife's Felt B2 will be riding on the back. Awesome rack!

After seeing my neighbor destroy 2 carbon bikes driving into the garage and drive thru's, I'm all for hitch racks. Only thing I don't like about putting bikes in the back is wear and tear, plus hang to wipe down the bikes after a long, hard ride. I'd rather just throw them on the rack and go home.

We also have the softride hitch mount. It has two positions to angle it away from the truck to access the cargo area. It's a bit of a pain for goofy kid bike frames but there's always a way to lash the bike on somehow.

I find my bikes come home cleaner than when I put them on after riding. You guys and your road bikes!

I don't even like hoisting up my bike to put on the Porsche(I've got a Thule sidearm for that one), forget putting it on my 7ft tall roof rack!

I find my bikes come home cleaner than when I put them on after riding.

I call bs on that. Unless you're one of those "hard-Parkers" that ride 20 ft to the local coffee shop and head back 2 hours later. :D

Even in the dry desert here, I have dirt/dust galore after a ride (mostly mtn bike). Not as bad as muddin in some of the North Carolina trails, though.

EDIT: Read your post wrong. Please ignore.

Here's my modified Thule rack off of my custom 4x4Labs tire mount. I used a receiver hitch on the tire mount to accept the modified Thule 4 bike rack.

attachment.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom