Best Way to Install Engine & Transmission & Transfer Case (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The engine, trans, and xfer case are removed from my FZJ80 and are almost ready to go back in (1FZ-FE Rebuild - Restoring my FZJ80 from an early demise)

What's the preferred method of re-installation? From what I've read, it seems like assembling the engine and trans outside the truck is the preferred method... BUT can I get them installed with an engine hoist WITHOUT removing the AC condenser (and consequently incurring the cost of recharging the AC system)?

Should I plan on reinstalling the xfer case once the engine and trans are in the truck? I'm guessing that assembling all 3 and trying to shoehorn them in is beyond possible.

Thanks for your help.

Extra Credit - Does anybody know the part number of the gasket between the block and the heater pipe manifold (that sits between the block and the thermostat)? It doesn't seem to have been included in the master gasket/seal kit.

Extra Extra Credit - Part number on the heater pipe tee fitting? It got a bit crunched during removal.

Thanks!

Given the expense you have already incurred I would remove the condenser, plug openings and install powertrain in one piece. Refit condenser with new 'O' rings and recharge and call it done.

Unsure about the petrol versions but, on the diesel removing the clamps that hold the antiroll bar and lower it down out of the way, and the whole lot will slide straight in.

regards

Dave

i always put them in as one package and remove everything up front. its actually not that hard. just take the AC out.

I would agree, if you already have all that stuff out, just pull the A/C. If not, you'll want to put things back in the way you took them out. Getting the engine/trans mated in the vehicle is going to be very difficult. It was hard enough with it out on the garage floor. The biggest thing you can do for yourself is to double check that the torque converter is still installed all the way. The FSM has a measurement for that to make sure it is pushed on all of the engagement points it needs, do that before you try to put them together no matter how you go about it.

I would agree, if you already have all that stuff out, just pull the A/C. If not, you'll want to put things back in the way you took them out. Getting the engine/trans mated in the vehicle is going to be very difficult. It was hard enough with it out on the garage floor. The biggest thing you can do for yourself is to double check that the torque converter is still installed all the way. The FSM has a measurement for that to make sure it is pushed on all of the engagement points it needs, do that before you try to put them together no matter how you go about it.

I am in the process of reinstalling a used engine and I am having a very hard time getting the engine and transmission to mate back up. I suspect my torque converter isn't all the way in but I can't confirm that. Do you have any idea what that measurement is or where I can find it? I don't have the FSM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom