Baja Design Backlights to running lights (markers) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone know what the rated amps are on our running lights? I have a 1997 and added a pair of LP9's and a pair of LP6's. I'd like to use the hot from one of the front marker/running lights to power them instead of using up a slot on my SwitchPro 9100. Also don't want to overload that wire either.

Does anyone know what the rated amps are on our running lights? I have a 1997 and added a pair of LP9's and a pair of LP6's. I'd like to use the hot from one of the front marker/running lights to power them instead of using up a slot on my SwitchPro 9100. Also don't want to overload that wire either.
Parking lights and marker lamps are all off the TAIL fuse which is 15 amps.
Your pair of LP6s pull 103 watts each for a total of 206 watts /12 volts=17.16 amps.
Your pair of LP9s (not sure which ones you have) pull between 88 and 132 watts each or 176 to 264 watts /12 volts=14.6 amps to 22 amps.
This is why they should be run off a relay from the battery. You could use the TAIL fuse to run the logic side, but the load side needs to be directly to the battery with a properly rated fuse for each set of lamps.

Last edited:
Run a relay with a dedicated switch and fuse (with wire rated for for the load). Not only will it not blow the TAIL fuse constantly, the lights will be brighter.

You can get a factory fog light switch for ~$20 that will fit right into the dash so it won't use up of the the ports on your switchpro.

you are asking about the daytime running light bulbs of the BD's? are there any specs for just those, and not the full driving bulbs?

you would probably be OK. but the better way as others have already pointed out, is run the the battery current to those DRL bulbs via a relay. the relay triggered by the TAIL circuit. you'd have to wire this up independent of your Switchpros.

Thanks for all the input. I thought I was clear, but clearly I wasn't. I am ONLY tying in the LP6/9 orange back lights. They pull 0.3amp each, so a total of 1.2amps for 4 lights. I ended up adding a relay that is triggered by the factory marker lights. That way the circuit didn't have any additional load.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom