Axle lengths (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
G'day fellas

I've been researching information on SOA conversions . Theres alot of great info on here thats educated me lots.
Just wanting some opinions/info if possible to some of these Q's?

How much wider is a 60 series axle to that of a 70 hub to hub?
Are 60 series axles any stronger/weaker than 70's? CV's as strong etc? are the CV's the same ?
Is it worth putting 60 series axles under a 70? or would a straight forward SOA with some 1" or 2" wheel spacers be the go? Opinions?
Lastly , I heard the diff heads are the same of both 60's/70's so if this is true is it possible to swap out the cable locking diff heads out of my 70 axle's and put them in a 60?
Anyone done a SOA conversion and regretted it?
Any other info re SOA feel free to add

Cheers in advance

A photo included of my Cruiser I'm looking at SOA
Landcruiser.jpg

Pre 90 60 and 70 series axles are mostly the same .. post 90 ( in most parts of the globe ) 70 series start using 8" reverse cut in front .. keeping rear 3rds the same 9.5" which are pretty strong ..

I'm so wappy with my SO .. but honestly how much you love it will depends on the use that you gonna give to your Cruiser ..

Definitely the 60 series axle is widen than 70 series, how much widen? More or less about 2/3 inches.

70 cv is more stronger in a way that it has a pop out line at the edge to enhance the strength.

In term of axle strength, rear axle is about the same housing except the length.
But front axle, late 70 will overrule the early axle despite the fact it has small diff gear.:D

Last edited:
I was looking at axle widths a while back and this is what I found:
60's are 157.87" (1470mm) rear / 158.46" (1485mm) front
70's are 156.5" (1435mm)
80's are 63"
But the short side of the housing is the same length, which makes for some added fabrication when trying to use 60 series axles in a 70 series.

I suggest you consider doing what I'm planning on doing. Widen your 70 series axle housing in the front as shown in this link
https://forum.ih8mud.com/hardcore-corner/196544-notched-60-front-axles.html

The down side is you have to buy custom length axle shafts but you would have had to get custom axle shafts anyway if you wanted to use your 70's cable lockers in a 60 series housing. Unless you can find the long spline axle shafts out of a 60's with cable lockers. On the plus side you will be able to correct your castor angle when the knuckle is reinstalled.

I plan on using the a 63" wide 80 series FF with disc brakes in the rear. Although I dont know what would all be involved using your 70's cable locker in that housing. But maybe you could trade it for the 80's electric locker. I have ARB's front and rear so its a non issue for me.

Last edited:
Definitely the 60 series axle is widen than 70 series, how much widen? More or less about 2/3 inches.

70 cv is more stronger in a way that it has a pop out line at the edge to enhance the strength.

In term of axle strength, rear axle is about the same housing except the length.
But front axle, late 70 will overrule the early axle despite the fact it has small diff gear.:D

The Birfields (CVs) are the same for all Land Cruisers from ~1980 - 1989/90. Post 1989/90 70 series have a very slightly different CV that might be a little bit stronger, but not much. It is dimensionally almost identical to the earlier unit. (The model years of 1989 & 1990 are a little muddled depending on your market area. The big change came with the high pinion front end in 1990 vintage 70 series).

The 60 and 70HD series axles up to 1989 have the same component strength.

The 60 series axles are about 2" wider (give or take) than the 70 series. The added length is on the [strike]short side[/strike] LONG side.

To make a 60 series front end fit, you have to cut into the diff housing on an SOA to fit the axle perch.

I don't think there's much debate that the 9.5" R&P is stronger than the 8" high pinion axles in the 70 series.

There are also light duty and HD versions of the axle housings - the light duty Land Cruisers do not have the same gusseting on the tubes as the HD models.

~John

Last edited:
The 60 series axles are about 2" wider (give or take) than the 70 series. The added length is on the short side.

~John

Dont you mean the added length is on the long side? Hence the reason the housing has to be notched

John,
Isn't it the added length should on the long side( Left hand side ). 60 series LHS shaft is longer than a 70 series. The short side is the same(Right hand side).

Exactly! The late HZJ has stronger CV than the early.

My personal opinion is that late HD front housing(squarish tube) is much more stronger than an early housing. No doubt it has small diff.

I was looking at axle widths a while back and this is what I found:
60's are 157.87" (1470mm) rear / 158.46" (1485mm) front
70's are 156.5" (1435mm)
80's are 63"
But the short side of the housing is the same length, which makes for some added fabrication when trying to use 60 series axles in a 70 series.

I suggest you consider doing what I'm planning on doing. Widen your 70 series axle housing in the front as shown in this link
https://forum.ih8mud.com/hardcore-corner/196544-notched-60-front-axles.html

The down side is you have to buy custom length axle shafts but you would have had to get custom axle shafts anyway if you wanted to use your 70's cable lockers in a 60 series housing. Unless you can find the long spline axle shafts out of a 60's with cable lockers. On the plus side you will be able to correct your castor angle when the knuckle is reinstalled.

I plan on using the a 63" wide 80 series FF with disc brakes in the rear. Although I dont know what would all be involved using your 70's cable locker in that housing. But maybe you could trade it for the 80's electric locker. I have ARB's front and rear so its a non issue for me.

Hmmm Interesting stuff , definately food for thought

One guy advised me to go 80 series but with the cost of finding some here I wana stick with my original gear + I've got a bunch of spare 70's axles in the shed

Thanks for the info guys . Got me thinking now...

John,
Isn't it the added length should on the long side( Left hand side ). 60 series LHS shaft is longer than a 70 series. The short side is the same(Right hand side).

My personal opinion is that late HD front housing(squarish tube) is much more stronger than an early housing. No doubt it has small diff.

Agreed. The Cruiser pictured is a 91' with the HD front housing with 8" diff . I haven't managed to break a CV yet

John,

Sorry, yes, it's on the long side.

I do not agree that the high pinion 70 series CV is significantly stronger than the previous ones until someone proves otherwise.

The gusseted housings are somewhat stronger, and this started in the later 60 series housings. The HD 70 series starting in 1990 have a gusseted housing as do the 80 series.

~John

Last edited:
Hello,

I have a '98 HZJ70 with the High Pinion 8" in front. My question is, did the axles shaft are the same of the 9.5" of the pre-90 70 series? Are the same splines and diameter on the housing oil seal?
I want to order a Chromoli CV + shaft, but not sure on the lenght of the longer shaft!

Thanks.

Juan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom