Axial Wraith FJ Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jynx

Turd Herder
SILVER Star
Threads
Well, I got myself a Christmas Present and I thought you all might be interested to follow the build. I will get some Pictures later this evening when I can get everything opened up and laid out but here is what I have in-hand:

IMG_3134_zps3c8b8ea8.jpg

Axial Wraith Kit
Vanquish Products (VP) Titanium Upper Links - Front & Rear
VP Titanium Draglink
VP Titanium Tie-rod
VP Aluminum Diff covers
VP CHubs
VP Knuckles
VP Rear Lockouts
RC4WD front Bumper Braces
RC4WD 2 Speed Transmission
Mamba Max Pro ESC
Savox - Titanium Gear for Steering
Savox - MG for shifting duties
Axial simple LED controller (4 white front/ 2 red rear)
Tamiya CR01 FJ40 Grill set

I still have to get the motor and radio but will most likely be going after a Spektrum DX3S so that I can keep tabs on the Tekin Redline 13.5T Brushless or the Tekin Pro4 (3300) Brushless Motor running a 3S Li-po battery.

I am probably going to try and pick up a pair of Hot Racing Lockers, Axial HD gears and some Pro-line shocks, but beyond that I will probably just upgrade parts as they break.

This will be more of a backyard all-around rig, some crawling and some bashing around. It should be a fun build.

Stay Tuned.:popcorn:

Last edited:
Avoid the HR lockers, the Axial HD ones are much stronger, just heavy.

Really, interesting. You have any experience with the VP lockers?

Really, interesting. You have any experience with the VP lockers?

No experience with VP's, but I have used a lot of their products (XR10) and all of it is good. Excellent machining and fit. Just pricey. The HR stuff I have seen and had fail quite a bit.

Subscribed! Wish i didnt trade my traxxas summit for a mini revo!

Sent from my busted to s*** EVO4G

So It Begins - Pic Heavy

So I didn't get to fool with it much until last night and here are the goods.

RC4WD 2 Speed, this is a very nice unit.

Servos and MMP

VP Parts, Axial Lights and RC4WD braces

And the FJ40 Grill that I am going to try and work in.

Throw in a shot of my Original Bruiser/ Mountaineer that I am working a Resto-Mod on.

And a sneak peak of how I left it at 1 AM last night.
IMG_3163_zps4531cb6a.jpg

The VP parts are very good quality and I will do an axle build post later this afternoon.

So far I am pretty happy and this has gotten the fires burning on the RC stuff again so when I get going on the Mounty Project I will start another build thread for that one to.

To Be Continued....

Last edited:
Looks to be a good setup. I ran 2 mmp's on my past super with no issues what so ever. The Wraith's are fun little rigs, just aggravating accessing everything with the cage in the way.

Did you worry about mud and water? I am not planning on mudding or anything but It could see some snow and might get a little spray if the grass is wet. I am thinking about using one of Dinky's (I think that is right) rear pans and mounting the MMP in there. Just not sure if you can run that and the rear battery.... guess more reading is in order.

Axle Build More Pictures, lots more.

As promised, here is the axle build:

Differentials are made up of a carrier and pinion. Very similar to an actual differential. I was a little aggravated that one of the pins that locates the pinion head onto the shaft was missing so I had to rob one from the axle hubs to get the axles together. I plan on calling Axial to let them know, but axle pins are pretty easy to come by so I will stop by the LHS to pick up a bag sometime this week.

Carrier and pinoins.

Carrier and pinion installed, shafts and rear lock-outs waiting for install.

VP lockouts on left, Axial plastic on the Right

VP aluminum cover on left, Axial plastic on the right

Then I went onto the front. Below VP CHub on left, Axial on right, notice the finish is smoother but otherwise very similar.

VP knuckle on left, Axial on right. Notice the VP knuckle does not have the extra arms on the back. The VP knuckles are Wraith Specific. The Axial knuckles included in the kit are carried over from the AX-10 axles.

Also notice that the arm mount is much higher on the knuckle. Basically VP has built a true High-steer knuckle for the Wraith.

The kit also comes with a new steering arm to mount on the knuckle, circa sneak peak from earlier.

And the completed axles with trusses and Link mounts bolted on.

I threw the tie-rod on just to see how it looks.

I am going to be pulling the rear-end back apart because the gear mesh is not smooth as I would like it to be. I think I may not have seated the inner pinion bearing in the housing all the way. I also want to put some Green water resistant grease in the chunks. I may put a little silicone sealant on the cover to help keep the grease in.

Next in the book is to build the shocks and get the links put together and mounted. Then onto building the chassis.

Still have to glue the tires on the wheels but here they are for your viewing pleasure.

That is all for now, more to come later. :cheers:

That's awesome! Can't wait to see it at GSMTR this year. I just picked up a few parts for the KOH buggy. Keep this build going!

Did you worry about mud and water? I am not planning on mudding or anything but It could see some snow and might get a little spray if the grass is wet. I am thinking about using one of Dinky's (I think that is right) rear pans and mounting the MMP in there. Just not sure if you can run that and the rear battery.... guess more reading is in order.

Rccrawler is your friend for reading on these. I was never too worried about incidental moisture from normal running, if I did get any I tried to make sure to dry everything afterwards. You might want to look at running the battery in the front as well to keep the weight over or at least close to the front axle. Matt with Dinky R/C makes some great stuff and has put a lot towards the wraith line. Hope some of this helps. Also, be sure to get a bec.:D

All right, got a little done last night but nothing earth shattering.

The shocks took me over an hour to finish which ate up most of my allotted time, but here are the latest.

First I didn't actually get to the links, but here is a comparison of the three I have. Top is the kit upper, plastic with holes. Middle is an Axial Aluminum link, nice upgrade BUT the bottom link is the VP machined titanium link. Serious beef. The ends are actually machined onto them and it is a solid bar. I will be swapping the lowers out in due time.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k8/mrtucker80/IMG_3168_zpsdd9394cd.jpg

Shocks fully assembled. I am going to run these for now but will definitely be upgrading to aluminum bodies soon. I actually popped one of the ends off while I was cycling them to make sure I had enough oil in them. Not the cap end the threaded end that houses all the o-rings...:rolleyes:

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k8/mrtucker80/IMG_3169_zps30484188.jpg

Shafts assembled, nothing special.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k8/mrtucker80/IMG_3176_zps32f63cfa.jpg

The Money shot for the evening was when I mounted the 2 Spd up to the main skid. I have to get some aluminum servo horns but I picked up some plastic ones on the way home this afternoon to do me in the interim. The Savox Servos are 25 spline like the Futaba and I only had 24 spline since most of my servos are Hitec.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k8/mrtucker80/IMG_3174_zpscdd3fcf2.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k8/mrtucker80/IMG_3171_zps9c1b6ce7.jpg

I realized that I had the knuckle bushings in backwards and fixed those so now they move freely. Still haven't pulled the rear apart to see why I am binding but the front seems good to go.

And just for fun I put the Wraith AR60 up in front of my Bruiser for comparison. Only slightly wider :D

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k8/mrtucker80/IMG_3182_zps2cf090d8.jpg

As I mentioned, I picked up some servo arms to use while I get some aluminum ones ordered. Tonight is the BCS championship so probably won't be working on it tonight. Next is finishing up and installing the links, and since I got the RC4WD trans, onto the Chassis.

Anybody need a Wraith Trans, fully assembled or in pieces. :meh: I will probably put it together and just put it in the box of misc. extra parts, maybe drop it in my other bruiser frame and start a custom crawler....

And since I am going to go SEC tonight ROLL TIDE :cool:

Last edited:
Well, I believe I could help you out. I will see about gathering up the associated parts and box them up for you. I will PM you later.

Got a chance to work on it some more this afternoon. It is a roller now and between the near blister from putting the cage together and all the structure to the cage, I can see where this chassis is not super easy to work on. It is more a set it and forget it chassis.

Mom has a girls night tonight so as soon as I get the little :princess: put to bed I will get the latest pictures up.

And now the pictures.

Here is the Wraith Trans next to the RC4WD 2 speed.

I went ahead and assembled it and now it is boxed up to find a new home in a 2000UZJ project.

I pulled the rear end apart and sure enough, I didn't have the inner pinion bearing fully seated. Went ahead and put a little extra grease in there. I also took apart the 2spd and put a little Lucas in there as well.

This cage is serious but putting it together almost caused a blister.

And even though it still has some work to be done, here it is as a roller.

Still have to get a motor and a radio. I am also looking at a battery forward mod and the hinged hood mod to help get the weight forward and allow me to put the ESC up in the body tub to help protect it from water and mud.

Slowly but surely.

Coming along nicely!
Here's a free mod to lower your center of gravity, flipping the lower shock mounts on the axles over!
Better for crawling AND high speed turns!
Here's mine a while back with the Nikko fjc grill:
fjwraith 3.jpg

Thanks for the tip. I am definitely going to try that. You do mean just the little bracket that holds the lower link and shock, correct. I am also going to check on some slash front shocks (I think). Read that they are a few mm shorter. Looking at the pro-line ones to upgrade to some aluminum bodies. I cycled the suspension and popped the same end cap again.

Also, where did you get your FJC grill? I test fit my CR01 and it is just a little narrow to fit the wraith lights in their stock location but that grill looks a little wider and I think it would work about right. Thanks

Building and rebuilding is a lot of fun, I usually end up ruining a few parts by the time I figure out how I think it should look:doh:

Almost any grill swap will require you to glue light buckets into the gril, the LEDs will just plug into them.
The Grill I used was off a Nikko 1/10th fjc, been discontinued and are way overpriced in the secondary market. Keep your eyes open at local second hand stores.

Yes the brackets bolted to the axles for the links and shocks can be flipped.

I use Losi aluminum bodied shocks with soft springs, but mostly because they were available when I was building.

Also you may notice the passenger side drop on the axles, done to mimic Toyota style.

This is like the Ih8mud of rc's:
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/

Keep on posting! we all love to see progress!
-Billybongo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom